No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New Fighter Suggestion.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author New Fighter Suggestion.
Red October
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-30 15:06   
Details on New Fighters
This is not going to be a very detailed post, so I will make it short.

Fighters should be designed to attack from a certain distance depending on their weaponry. UGTO Hawks will fire from 400 GU Range and turn back at 300 GU while ICC will attack at 600 GU Range and turn back at 350 Range. This will set the fighters outside of the PD range and allow them to continue to attack and build up with number of fighters if left unchecked.

To counter this, interceptors will have a new role as Anti-fighters or Anti-Missile. They will be designed to combat the Fighters that are attacking allies or your ship and will not fire on your Allies. This will tie into the new order system that will give fighters a new and better AI. With this, this will allow for mini-battles to rage around friends or enemies ships.

The other two fighters will stay the same but with new E-ware equipped to them to allow for more effective use. Like Interceptors will have scanners to spot hazards or missiles. Scouts Fighters will have ECCM and will now ping them to find enemies. And bombers will have ECM running to give them more effective defense against planets, but will be vulnerable to planet’s sensors which will reveal them to the PD defense on the planets.

All this will give the Carriers within the fleets a new and more important role in support combat and make battles more epic to come. Also this will help bring about more mix roles for the carriers within the fleets so that they are valued. Say you need cover from fighters, so you ask another player to bring out a carrier and starts launching interceptors to deal with the fighters.

Interstellar Cultural Confederation Fighters

Name: Fighter F-26
Role: Anti-Ship
Weaponry: Gauss Guns
E-ware: N/A
Friendly Fire: Yes
Design: Fighters are designed to swarm enemy ships. They start to attack at around 600 GU and turn back at around 350 GU. Using gauss guns, they could deal heavy damage if they opposing faction of left unchecked.

Name: Interceptor I-19
Role: Anti-Fighter/Anti-Missile
Weaponry: Pulse Lasers
E-Ware: Scanner
Friendly Fire: No
Design: Interceptors are designed to swarm around Ally crafts and intercept fighters or missiles that threaten that ship. They fly approximately 300 GU from ship, using pulse lasers to destroy missiles or fighters that come within 300 GU of them. These fighters will not fire on allies.

Name: Short Range Recon S-38
Role: Anti-ECM/Anti-Cloak
Weaponry: None
E-ware: ECCM
Design: Short Range Recons are designed to swarm the battlefield, looking for ships using ECM or cloaking. They turn on and off their ECCM to cause a pinging effect. They can be set on ally ships to help hunt for Cloaked or ECM ships that are hiding within the battlefield.

Name: Bomber B-11
Role: Anti-building
Weaponry: Building Busters
E-Ware: ECM
Design: Bombers are designed to attack targets upon the planet’s surface. Using ECM, they are designed to travel in packs to attack targets. If one is destroyed, their signature raises allowing for planetary defenses to deal them a heavy blow. More Sensors on a planet, the more likely these ships are detected and destroyed.

United Galactic Trade Organization

Name: Fighter F-17
Role: Anti-Ship
Weaponry: Particle Cannon
E-ware: N/A
Design: Fighters are designed to swarm enemy ships. They start to attack at around 600 GU and turn back at around 300 GU. Using particle cannons, they could deal heavy damage if they opposing faction of left unchecked.

Name: Interceptor I-29
Role: Anti-Fighter/Anti-Missile
Weaponry: Pulse Lasers
E-Ware: Scanner
Design: Interceptors are designed to swarm around Ally crafts and intercept fighters or missiles that threaten that ship. They fly approximately 300 GU from ship, using pulse lasers to destroy missiles or fighters that come within 300 GU of them. These fighters will not fire on allies.

Name: Short Range Recon S-32
Role: Anti-ECM/Anti-Cloak
Weaponry: None
E-ware: ECCM
Design: Short Range Recons are designed to swarm the battlefield, looking for ships using ECM or cloaking. They turn on and off their ECCM to cause a pinging effect. They can be set on ally ships to help hunt for Cloaked or ECM ships that are hiding within the battlefield.

Name: Bombers B-11
Role: Anti-building
Weaponry: Building Busters
E-Ware: ECM
Design: Bombers are designed to attack targets upon the planet’s surface. Using ECM, they are designed to travel in packs to attack targets. If one is destroyed, their signature raises allowing for planetary defenses to deal them a heavy blow. More Sensors on a planet, the more likely these ships are detected and destroyed.

[ This Message was edited by: Alanstar on 2010-07-30 15:11 ]

Email Red October
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-30 15:20   
i asked before, but fighters are treated as projectiles, like missles
so unfortunatly you can't order them around

since these are projectiles, not sure if they can be programed to pd

in other words, until fighters become actual ai ships i don't think any interface can be put in

3 errors: ICC fighter uses railguns, pirate fighters use gauss
UGTO interceptor can't use pulse laser
On the top it said a UGTO fighter shoots at 400gu and turns around at 300, but on fighter description you said it fires at 600 and turns around at 300

I think both fighters should start shooting at max range of guns
Bomber ecm should be weak, because 6-8 ecm bombing/fighters will mask alot of signature

overall pretty good idea, but don't think fighters can have new interface until they become ai ships

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-07-30 17:23   
Alas, currently fighters basically suck in that you can't give them armour, can't give them orders, and they currently behave a lot like missiles.

Funnily enough, "improving fighter AI and fighters in general" is on the to-do list.

Red October
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-30 18:41   
There can always be new ideas for fighter system. I mean, heck, this system has alot of room for improvements and I can't wait till it becomes alot better then it is now. I always love carriers, but it seems carriers in the past didn't get much love and should be at standards with Missile Dreadnoughts in my opinion.

Varistility and Ability to dog fight from long distances is what makes it the most beloved ship in all space theme games. Sadily, this space theme game lacks in that area and I hope to see the improvement soon. REAL soon. I want it to be something where I can keep a carrier in my garage and be proud of it.

Email Red October
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-30 20:55   
well agin and carrier dread atm is basically a joke, improve fighters and they might not be.......
We could have heavy fighters, torpedo bombers, ect along with a new interface

but it all rests upon devs making fighters individual ships, not some revamped missle that shoots guns

it would take alot of work, may lag server to death, may clutter up ai list, but in the end the carrier type ships along with other fighter weilding ships would become much more formidable

the ammount of fighters used on carrier ships suprises me
a carrier cruiser has the same ammount as a combat dread, who basically carry fighters as a secondary weapon
carrier dread loses half of its weapons (compared to battle dread) for a few sensors and 2 fighter bays

if new interface is implemented and fighters can actually live, 2 fighter bays means 10 more fighters, but currently fighters die too quickly and launch too slowly

Cory_O
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-31 01:51   
I think this would be hard to Balance. As currently if you where to allow the icc fighters to engage at max range as someone suggested (not op) And ugto engage at max range than the icc ship would do alot more damage and be much more powerful than the ugto fighters... which isnt accurate, As according to the storyline (and the fact that the ugto have a special "super carrier") The ugto are the faction that loves fighters, the icc love missiles. For one faction to have dominance in both areas would be quite... Broken.

As for making them ai you could have them despatch in sqauds as they do now and simply make each sqaud count as a single ai. This would alow for much less server lag and would not clutter the f2 screen nearly as much (although still alot)...

On a side note, Does increasing the weapons damage on a carrier (such as multiplexors) affect its fighters? If they behave like missile i would assume they do but i honestly dont know and i would highly appreciate anyone who could enlighten me as i have unlocked my long awaited (apparently miss placed waiting) carrier dread, and i would like to know before i go dumping enh on it.
I am the monster in your head. I am the phantom under your bed. I am the broken string when youre hanging by a thread. I am the darkness when the light fades away. When the buds of hope begin to sprout I am the harvester.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-31 01:59   
actually i think ugto fighters get higher dps by game mechanics, ugto programmed to have better fighters

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-07-31 04:57   
Quote:

On a side note, Does increasing the weapons damage on a carrier (such as multiplexors) affect its fighters? If they behave like missile i would assume they do...

Yes, the enhancements of a ship affects the corresponding devices of fighters, which are the gun and beam devices only.
On a side note, gratz on getting the carrier.

Quote:

actually i think ugto fighters get higher dps by game mechanics, ugto programmed to have better fighters

Negative, ICC fighters benefit because of having full kinetic damage with long range, while UGTO fighters have kinetic/energy damge combo with medium range. Since fighters re-engage targets at the maximum distance, and break off at a distance of 100 gus, the ICC fighters benefit from firing longer and substantially damaging shots, on average.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-31 11:48   
no, i think the devs boosted the ugto fighters stats, not sure though

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-07-31 20:46   
Fighter guns currently have little similarity to their ship-borne counterparts, so I believe they're all essentially equal with perhaps minor differences.

I don't think anyone's fiddled with the fighter stats for a while now.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 02:29   
Quote:

On 2010-07-30 17:23, Gejaheline wrote:
Alas, currently fighters basically suck in that you can't give them armour, can't give them orders, and they currently behave a lot like missiles.

Funnily enough, "improving fighter AI and fighters in general" is on the to-do list.

isnt it possible to set the interceptor-fighters laser to point-defense, similar to ai-ships who have all lasers set to PD (Nodes with their uber-power-laz0r )

Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-08-03 06:13   
Fighters are currently too stupid to be able to use point-defence weapons. That's one reason for making them smarter.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 10:49   
an idea for fighter-ai: Boids
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/LeaderFollow.html
http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/
[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2010-08-03 10:54 ]

Red October
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 13:02   
The way AI should react.

Interceptor AI - 300 GU while shadowing player.
Attacker AI - Attack from max range and turns back at 300 GU.
Bomber AI - The same.
Scout AI - Rotates ECCM while flying around targeted area.

Here is some commands for AI Fighters...

Follow - They will follow player at their own GU.
Shadow - They will fly at same speed and follow player.
Scout - They will ping a targeted area. (Rotate ECCM)
Attack - They will attack designated target.
Defend - They will protect player from incoming fighters and missiles.
Bomb - They will bomb designated target.
Return - They will return to the hanger bays.

It would be interesting to a drop down menu on commands for fighters or shortcuts that would issue commands for all fighters. This allow for quick orders to be placed on the fighters instead of trying to hunt them down on your screen with mouse pointer.

[ This Message was edited by: Alanstar on 2010-08-03 13:02 ]

Email Red October
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-08-03 14:34   
as said fighters are currently missles that shoot and eventually turn back for another strafing run

they cannot use "advanced commands" like a normal ai ship
including
-all orders
-pd

so until they become ai ships instead of revamped missles, not much you can do

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019043 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR