Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Idea for Beacons
 Author Idea for Beacons
DufasRufas
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-18 08:37   
What if the person flying the scout that places a beacon on someone can see the location where someone jumps to within 2-3k gu on the F2 screen?

I'm not saying the whole team, just the person flying the scout. The person flying the scout can jump to that location, and the rest of the team can follow if they have the where-with-all to follow suit.

This would benefit all factions in hunting down jumpers, and it would finally give kluth a reason to fly scouts and use beacons.

Any further ideas (or gripes)?

*it also would attract people to those smaller ships the devs seem to want us in. People flying more scouts = more small ships, and people wanting to avoid beacons and be more maneuverable end up in smaller ships*

[ This Message was edited by: DufasRufas on 2010-07-18 08:38 ]
[ This Message was edited by: DufasRufas on 2010-07-18 08:43 ]

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-18 08:48   
Quote:

On 2010-07-18 08:37, DufasRufas wrote:
What if the person flying the scout that places a beacon on someone can see the location where someone jumps to within 2-3k gu on the F2 screen?

I'm not saying the whole team, just the person flying the scout. The person flying the scout can jump to that location, and the rest of the team can follow if they have the where-with-all to follow suit.

This would benefit all factions in hunting down jumpers, and it would finally give kluth a reason to fly scouts and use beacons.

Any further ideas (or gripes)?
[ This Message was edited by: DufasRufas on 2010-07-18 08:38 ]

Not a bad idea, but how would it effect a cloaked ship?
In ICC versus UGTO battles I see its use for it, but what about K'luth?

How long does a beacon live any way, how long upon attaching itself to the ships hull will it last and broadcast a home in signal for the beacon owner to home on to?

DufasRufas
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-18 08:59   
If the scout quickly follows a fleeing kluth, he can probably pinpoint his location before the kluth has a chance to cloak. Maybe reduce the radius of the homing circle?

The scout can ping to bring the kluth back out, and start attaching more beacons as they like to do.

As a kluth, it's pretty hard to shake a scout that is pinging and beaconing you once they have decided that YOU are their target.

I'm not sure exactly how long beacons last. It feels like an eternity to me, but I think they last about 2 minutes? Someone else probably has an exact answer.

Also Wild Cat, you replied before I edited my message. This would be a better way of getting people to fly small ships than changing the way resources work, imo.

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-07-18 09:07   
i think this would make beacons overpowerd. or it should not indicate the precies location but it lights up a grid (5k gu by 5k gu or more) where the beacon is in. cause otherwise it would be overpowerd.
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

DufasRufas
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-18 09:10   
I would also foresee more strategy used with this too.

for example, have the majority of your force sitting in deep space somewhere. Send one member to a planet where you know the enemy is and exchange some fire, hoping to get beaconed.

Once your beaconed, you can either jump back to your strike force and hope the enemy jumps you before they get the reading your pals from the scout that follows....or....

Jump to another location in space. Once the enemy jumps in to try to finish you off, your stronger force comes in to wipe them out since all of their JD's are now recharging.

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-18 09:53   
Quote:

On 2010-07-18 08:59, DufasRufas wrote:
Also Wild Cat, you replied before I edited my message. This would be a better way of getting people to fly small ships than changing the way resources work, imo.

Not really sure about this part.
For me smaller ships aren't alot of fun, because the bigger ships can point jump you and still blast you away. So all the speed and agility smaller ships have over the bigger ships becomes useless *when* the jump drive is charged and ready. But thats an other topic else where already discussed.

Quote:

On 2010-07-18 09:07, Ulven Skyblade wrote:
I think this would make beacons overpowerd. or it should not indicate the precies location but it lights up a grid (5k gu by 5k gu or more) where the beacon is in. cause otherwise it would be overpowerd.

Not giving a way the exact location is a good thing to have, this will increase the need for having a fast moving vessel to rapidly jump with in the grid to search. This should add more value to scouts. As well as not making it dead accurate.

DufasRufas
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-18 13:59   
Quote:

On 2010-07-18 09:53, Wild Cat wrote:

Not really sure about this part.
For me smaller ships aren't alot of fun, because the bigger ships can point jump you and still blast you away. So all the speed and agility smaller ships have over the bigger ships becomes useless *when* the jump drive is charged and ready. But thats an other topic else where already discussed.

Not saying you cann't still be point jumped. My vision is that most scouts would concentrate on beaconing larger ships. And when they do target the smaller ships with beacons, smaller ships are much more difficult to hit with a beacon because of their maneuverability and smaller size.

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-07-18 14:11   
IIRC, beacons used to be tracking devices: one lands on you, it's there until it dies and it can be targeted with a green diamond. Not sure of the range, but it was great for tracking fleeing foes.

Email Antra
Page created in 0.016323 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR