Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » “What if” Jumping, Jump exit location not fixed but random
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author “What if” Jumping, Jump exit location not fixed but random
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-07-12 20:03   
No.

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-13 00:13   
if you want the off jump just use the wh it does that and is annoying i hate being in a station using a wh and i use it to jump to a gate and it goes 500+ gu off of were i targted witch is understandable to keep from wh fishing. but why would we need it for the jd it already takes forever to charge and when in a dread even my luth i jump another dread or in most cases now cruiser there able to pull away from be after one alpha so jd are fine lol

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-13 00:41   
Jumps already seem random lately. I never know where I'm gonna exit a jump, but it's usually well before I reach my destination.

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-13 00:55   
Quote:

On 2010-07-13 00:41, MrSparkle wrote:
Jumps already seem random lately. I never know where I'm gonna exit a jump, but it's usually well before I reach my destination.

Prob to adress stupid ai trannies crashing while trading, try clicking j instead of o for orbit, the in mid orbit click o.

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-13 01:18   
It happens more often if I'm trying to jump to a point in space, and it cuts out a few hundred gu early.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-13 02:03   
Jumping now is back to the old system. You stop short of your target by how fast your going now. So you will do a perfect jump (that you all are used to) if you are not moving, or are moving 5gu or less. If you are going max speed, in a scout you will stop 1k short of your target point. In a dread its about 500gu short max speed.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-13 02:20   
Its 30*currentSpeed in gu. So a scout going max speed (35gu/s) will stop 1050gu from its chosen point in space, for example. There is no randomization, though.

Email Shigernafy
Wapan
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-13 06:22   
not sure if this is the best place to address this, but its mostly on topic; yesterday I was in scen and would attempt to jump at distances greater than 3000 gus and the drive would disengage immediately leaving me to recharge the drive before I could reattempt it. And no i did not try and stop it (press j); at times it just would not allow me to jump.

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-13 13:52   
So the general response so far has been, No, bad idea to, “What if” the jumping exit location is no longer fixed but random?

-Fear of running in to planets,
-Bigger ships fear of having to travel to much on impulse drive when they land to far away from there desired location,
-And a few "No's" with out any details to why,

So lets add a twist to the "What if"
"What if" the random exit location distance offset will only effect short distance jumps. The further your jump target location is away from the starting location the more accurate it will become.

For example, the random from 0 to 300gu offset, will reduce by 10% for every 300gu traveled.

Trying to Point jump some one at 600gu away, would result in a jump offset between 0 and 240gu
At 1200gu, between 0 and 180gu
At 2400gu, between 0 and 60gu
And passed 3000gu, no offset at all.

This will make short range point jumps less accurate in favor of smaller ships that might then still have use of there speed and maneuverability would the jumper not end up right on top of him.

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-13 16:09   
Quote:

On 2010-07-13 02:20, Shigernafy wrote:
Its 30*currentSpeed in gu. So a scout going max speed (35gu/s) will stop 1050gu from its chosen point in space, for example. There is no randomization, though.

When did this get introduced? Lol I like it a lot!
This is really cool as it makes, point jumps a lot harder when moving fast.

Just had some great battles in Scenario, with smaller ships involed that had little worries about getting jumped nor of any bigger ships. Dreads and stations are less common.

And a single big ship is easely countered with multiple cheaper ships.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-14 06:45   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 07:50, Wild Cat wrote:

"Stop Station spam" wasn't my goal, the new resource system already took care of it.

not really, can still spam stations from gates no problem.

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-14 07:03   
Quote:

On 2010-07-14 06:45, Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 07:50, Wild Cat wrote:

"Stop Station spam" wasn't my goal, the new resource system already took care of it.

not really, can still spam stations from gates no problem.

Only if you have one in your garage, in scenario you start with a empty one

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-14 07:49   
but you keep your garage from the last map =P

SPaRTaN Z
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-14 08:19   
What would happen to the AI if all the jumps were random? I think issues with AI planet smacking were just fixed,.
Say you have a person on follow,. when they jump,. u jump. So ur the interdictor cruiser,. leading ur combat force into battle,. yet the combat force ends up all over the place cuz of the random jumps,.?

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-14 09:02   
Quote:

On 2010-07-14 08:19, SPaRTaN Z (Star Fox) wrote:
What would happen to the AI if all the jumps were random? I think issues with AI planet smacking were just fixed,.
Say you have a person on follow,. when they jump,. u jump. So ur the interdictor cruiser,. leading ur combat force into battle,. yet the combat force ends up all over the place cuz of the random jumps,.?

I'm more aiming to see point jumping become less to accurate in favor of smaller faster ships.

But Faustus suggested a nice alternative, instead making point jump less accurate, he suggested having a 5~10sec jump drive charge up delay paired with visual effects. This would will warn them of a ship getting ready to jump.

http://darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=49233&forum=1&start=49

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.035305 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR