Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » “What if” Jumping, Jump exit location not fixed but random
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author “What if” Jumping, Jump exit location not fixed but random
Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 03:23   
What if jumping as we know it, no longer has a fixed distance away from the target jump location when we exit the jump. Instead of always ending up (for example) 200gu away from the target it will be random.

So instead of the fixed 200gu distance away, (for example) it will be 500gu and random number between 0 and 300gu subtracted. Resulting, your jump exit location could be between 500gu and 200gu away target from your target.

This will however, hinder the ability to manually point jump right on top of some one. There is a chance you overshoot your target and have to turn or your jump is to short and you’re outside your optimal weapon range.

I believe this could add some interesting game play especially between smaller ships versus bigger ships.

I always felt that speed and nimbleness on smaller ships didn’t count for anything, for a single proper point jump could take that all away. With smaller ships being less prone to being point jumped and blasted way in a split second, smaller ships will have more value and use on the battlefield.

So “What if” the jumping exit location is no longer fixed but random?
How do you believe this would affect game play, in a good or bad way?

***Updated 13-july-2010***
So the general response so far has been, No, bad idea to, “What if” the jumping exit location is no longer fixed but random?

-Fear of running in to planets,
-Bigger ships fear of having to travel to much on impulse drive when they land to far away from there desired location,
-And a few "No's" with out any details to why,

So lets add a twist to the "What if"
"What if" the random exit location distance offset will only effect short distance jumps. The further your jump target location is away from the starting location the more accurate it will become.

For example, the random from 0 to 300gu offset, will reduce by 10% for every 300gu traveled.

Trying to Point jump some one at 600gu away, would result in a jump offset between 0 and 240gu
At 1200gu, between 0 and 180gu
At 2400gu, between 0 and 60gu
And passed 3000gu, no offset at all.

This will make short range point jumps less accurate in favor of smaller ships that might then still have use of there speed and maneuverability would the jumper not end up right on top of him.
[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-07-13 13:50 ]

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-12 04:26   
hm cud be interesting

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 04:29   
bad idead, if you could over-shot your target

stations (and to a lesser degree dreads) tend to be slow (station 6gu/s // dreads something around 15gu/s) and the most reliable way to move in a station is by jumping
if your jumps are 0-500gu short, no problem, but if the jumps could miss 0-500gu in every direction its definatly a bad thing

and dont come up with something like "stop station spam"

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-07-12 05:01   
Dislike this idea as it further reduces skill. It used to be that with enough skill you could precision jump. You still sort of can by aiming past a target, but it's not consistent.

Email Antra
SPaRTaN Z
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-12 05:35   
Is someone a bit too slow with the Shift+J when the siphon jumps upon him?

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 05:37   
yes, he is

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-12 05:51   

"What if" you jumped to orbit a planet and ended up inside it instead.

LOL.......

Glaceon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 07:31   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 05:51, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

LOL.......

yep =D

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 07:50   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 05:35, SPaRTaN Z (Star Fox) wrote:
Is someone a bit too slow with the Shift+J when the siphon jumps upon him?

Hardly has any effect on K'luth. Would you point jump me, like with in the current game, you will end up with in 300gu up to point blank range from me. Last time I checked, K'luth beams are not effected by range and you can still smoke a small ship. However, if you try to get closer, you might risk overshooting.

Quote:

On 2010-07-12 04:29, NoBoDx wrote:
bad idead, if you could over-shot your target

stations (and to a lesser degree dreads) tend to be slow (station 6gu/s // dreads something around 15gu/s) and the most reliable way to move in a station is by jumping
if your jumps are 0-500gu short, no problem, but if the jumps could miss 0-500gu in every direction its definatly a bad thing

and dont come up with something like "stop station spam"

"Stop Station spam" wasn't my goal, the new resource system already took care of it.

I'm aware that bigger ships are moving slow, but that why the carry more armor/shields and more guns.

I don't fly a station my self, but I hardly see them jump. When moving from one point to an other I see a worm hole appear instead. When fleeing, I see a worm hole appear and some times I see them e-jump to safety.

My example wasn't 500gu off. in the current game we exit jump about 200gu away from our target, I only added a random from 0 to 300gu on top of that. Also its not in every direction its along the jump path.

Quote:

On 2010-07-12 05:01, Antra wrote:
Dislike this idea as it further reduces skill. It used to be that with enough skill you could precision jump. You still sort of can by aiming past a target, but it's not consistent.

Point jumping might need a bit of skill executing it quickly, but it's no rocket science either and easy to learn.

With the above "what if" example, you can still do point jumps.
If for example, you normally only needed to plot a jump course 200gu past your target to end up right on top of him, you now have to take in account that you can be 300gu off.

If you plot a course to 350gu past your target and execute the jump, there is a 50% change you end up in front of your target with in 150gu or past it.

You might not end up at pointblank range, but still well with in fire range, but if your unlucky you will over shoot and have to turn around to bring your guns to face the target.

And its the overshooting or ending to far away from the target that will give a much smaller ship and edge over a much bigger ship as the remain there edge in speed and nimbleness. With accurate point jumps, maneuverability and speed have no more use.

You can decrease the change you overshoot by reducing the distance, but increasing your change you end up much further away from your target.

300gu offset was just a number that felt right, but it could be less.
Just trying to get a feel, "what if" the jump exit location isn't fixed, but random.

[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-07-12 07:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Wild Cat on 2010-07-12 09:38 ]

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 07:53   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 07:31, Mal2103 {R33} wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 05:51, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

LOL.......

yep =D

That should be no problem, jumping to a planet now, you will arrive 200gu away from your target, it then be 500gu minus the 0 to 300gu offset.
So you will arrive between 500gu and 200gu away from your target.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 08:32   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 07:50, Wild Cat wrote:
I don't fly a station my self, but I hardly see them jump. When moving from one point to an other I see a worm hole appear instead. When fleeing, I see a worm hole appear and some times I see them e-jump to safety.

you dont see stations jup that often, because it take ~2minutes to recharge the jumpdrive
and stations are slow, really slow

while you can reach a target within 1000gu in a dread without jumping in a reasonable time (~1 minute), flying in a station take ages (almost 3 minutes)

Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-07-12 08:38   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 08:32, NoBoDx wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 07:50, Wild Cat wrote:

you dont see stations jup that often, because it take ~2minutes to recharge the jumpdrive
and stations are slow, really slow

while you can reach a target within 1000gu in a dread without jumping in a reasonable time (~1 minute), flying in a station take ages (almost 3 minutes)

they are also NOT deadly point blank range.why jump something you cant kill pointblank?..takes 2 or 3 attempts to kill a frigging scout..which is DUMB.Bring back the station of the past that was deadly pointblank but meh at range.ALL beams should be hvy as its a FRIGGING STATION.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
GunRunner
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-12 09:13   
Ive seen this implimented in the game. Its horrible.

Email GunRunner
Marius Falix
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 14:26   
not a fan due to the greatly increased risk of planet crashing

We are the Falix Brothers...

Wild Cat
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-12 17:15   
Quote:

On 2010-07-12 08:38, Fatal Command (CO) wrote:
they are also NOT deadly point blank range.why jump something you cant kill pointblank?..takes 2 or 3 attempts to kill a frigging scout..which is DUMB.Bring back the station of the past that was deadly pointblank but meh at range.ALL beams should be hvy as its a FRIGGING STATION.

Are we playing the same game? I've been jumped by dreads and my scout didn't last the first alpha let along a second or a third. what am I doing wrong that others are able to outlive an alpha? besides not getting jumped and shot at. If a dread can smoke my scout in a single alpha, and you need 2 or 3 alphas in a station... I really wonder what we are doing wrong.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026594 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR