No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Darkspace: Suggestions
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Darkspace: Suggestions
Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-03 20:35   
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 20:02, BackSlash wrote:
Buying rank = not going to happen.

Friendly fire = you hit yourself with splash damage.

We're not going to undo ships damaged given to armour/shield damage. As well as adding their damage to ship damage calculations we also added them to friendly fire, so overall they have the same ratio as hull damage, although at a lower percentage.

We added this due to no-one getting prestige in combat, and to promote it more - which was hugely successful.

tru story lol i used to get on and bomb/supp/tranny/whatever for 4 hours a day to get pres then id lose that 4 houirs of work in 1 hour of combat

Undead Patriot
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-03 20:52   
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 19:27, Lord Xanatos wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 19:16, darkcow300 wrote:
most ideas seem quite interesting but the prestige only when hulled I don't like much. Point being that people usually jump when outgunned or outmatched giving no prestige at all to the lucky player that was there to shoot at him for a few moments. I personnaly like the current system.
and would lose a lot of interest in the game if it turned back to it's old system

The lucky player who was only there to shoot at the target a few moments shouldn't be considered to do much damage against the target unless they are a big ship and even if they did and the target jumps away, that's where hunting and tracking come into play. Follow the direction they jumped. Never has been a problem for me. However, many players will stay in battle for a while even when their hull starts taking damage. I find that with the ships damaged awarded from hull, it highly promoted the use of strategy and tactics to destroy the enemy before they jump in the first place and also promotes more use of aiming skills to continuously puncture only a certain area of the shields/armor to get to the hull.

[ This Message was edited by: Lord Xanatos on 2010-07-03 19:35 ]

I personally like the new system of gaining prestige because before you would have to really attack someone to get through their armor and once you did they would usually cloak or jump away. The new way helps players gain prestige faster and level up faster. Many new players wont realize why they arent gaining prestige when they attack an enemy ship.

Undead Patriot
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-03 21:02   
one thing i am kinda mad about is how people can see cloaked kluth ships when they arent even damaged. cloak is supposed to make the ship invisible, not do some AVP predator bull...and people shouldnt be able to do the eccm ping. Eccm should slow the cloak down but not show people where they are at and allow them to be shot.

Xanatos Omega
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2010-07-03 21:04   
I agree to that much. At the very least, I think friendly fire to oneself should be excluded. After all, the descriptions say that friendly fire is based on damage done to other, friendly ships, not including your own.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

In addition to the cloak, I also fullheartedly agree. K'luth are designed as the masters of hit-and-run tactics, boasting "strongest weapons in terms of raw damage" but suffer weak armor. Eccm pinging relieves the k'luth of their cloak, making it so the target can see the k'luth, but can lock on, only point fire. I agree that it should be how it was: the more eccms you have, the longer it takes to cloak, not unveil it.
[ This Message was edited by: Lord Xanatos on 2010-07-03 21:08 ]

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-03 21:10   
First off you remind me of half dead mmos run by corporate snobs that are milking players by allowing them to buy everything.

1.Buying ranks and ai ship types:
Would result in game unbalanced, the vets feeling cheated, and mass QQing followed by mass quiting. You would have about 50 people who bought everything still playing The money flow would look like this:
medium(current)-large-medium-none

2.Ship damage and friendly fire:
Realistically if you hulled an enemy your superiors would be happy, for instance you managed to hull the dread but had to pull back, what would your superiors do? award you no prestige even though you made an enemy very vulnerable? Same with friendly fire, superior officers don't care at what hull strength you shot your ally, all they care is you shot your ally.
And about splash to yourself as friendly fire, commanders would think you're stupid to destroy your own ship (no longer problem as qst have little splash now)

But the best thing about your post was creatures, we do need more of em

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-03 21:23   
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 21:10, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
First off you remind me of half dead mmos run by corporate snobs that are milking players by allowing them to buy everything.

1.Buying ranks and ai ship types:
Would result in game unbalanced, the vets feeling cheated, and mass QQing followed by mass quiting. You would have about 50 people who bought everything still playing The money flow would look like this:
medium(current)-large-medium-none

2.Ship damage and friendly fire:
Realistically if you hulled an enemy your superiors would be happy, for instance you managed to hull the dread but had to pull back, what would your superiors do? award you no prestige even though you made an enemy very vulnerable? Same with friendly fire, superior officers don't care at what hull strength you shot your ally, all they care is you shot your ally.
And about splash to yourself as friendly fire, commanders would think you're stupid to destroy your own ship (no longer problem as qst have little splash now)

But the best thing about your post was creatures, we do need more of em

agreed

Xanatos Omega
1st Lieutenant

Posted: 2010-07-03 21:28   
Quote:

Forgive me if I sound crude, but those "half dead mmos run by corporate snobs" are actually doing several times better than darkspace itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to ideas. I would also like to propose the idea of a "full on" ice nebula.

Ice Nebula: I've been through nebulas before. You go into them and you can still see your ship and everything around you. Other than not being able to fire your weapons in some of them, they don't really do anything. I propose a map (or at least a very large portion in space) be made into a ice-like nebula that acts like a real fog (a step up from the ice nebula in sag...or at least I think it was sag...). The player can barely see their ship or the opponents ship, but can fire weapons. In addition, throw in a significant number of space creatures. Perhaps even throw in floating ice shards. It was a thought I had been toying with for a long time of making a nebula that is actually both scary and mysterious....one where the player fears the unknown and unexpected and doesn't know what lies inside.

As a side note, I have also found a promotional video for darkspace on youtube and was curious as to the idea of why darkspace doesn't look like this anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5xyg-5yE9U&feature=related
[ This Message was edited by: Lord Xanatos on 2010-07-03 21:36 ]

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-03 22:29   
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 21:28, Lord Xanatos wrote:
Quote:

Forgive me if I sound crude, but those "half dead mmos run by corporate snobs" are actually doing several times better than darkspace itself.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to ideas. I would also like to propose the idea of a "full on" ice nebula.

Ice Nebula: I've been through nebulas before. You go into them and you can still see your ship and everything around you. Other than not being able to fire your weapons in some of them, they don't really do anything. I propose a map (or at least a very large portion in space) be made into a ice-like nebula that acts like a real fog (a step up from the ice nebula in sag...or at least I think it was sag...). The player can barely see their ship or the opponents ship, but can fire weapons. In addition, throw in a significant number of space creatures. Perhaps even throw in floating ice shards. It was a thought I had been toying with for a long time of making a nebula that is actually both scary and mysterious....one where the player fears the unknown and unexpected and doesn't know what lies inside.

As a side note, I have also found a promotional video for darkspace on youtube and was curious as to the idea of why darkspace doesn't look like this anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5xyg-5yE9U&feature=related
[ This Message was edited by: Lord Xanatos on 2010-07-03 21:36 ]

ya and games that actualy giv a crap about their players lik WoW are doin 10x better than those corporate snobs and still retain some sense of business honor without that "pay more and we let u kick anyones butt" crap

also ice nebula=good idea

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-03 22:43   
The only reason corporate snobs make more money is this:
deal: $100 to kick everyone's arse, 100 people buy
Those 100 people kill every non-buyer
non-buyers get mad and make the stupid decision of wasting $100
new buyers take out their anger on more non-buyers

Called the "We know they are milking us but we wasted alot of money, might as kell kick some arse cycle"

P.S.-a month later they make sumthing stronger for $110
some $100 buyers rage quit, some upgrade and start again

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-03 23:42   
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 22:43, SpaceAdmiral wrote:
The only reason corporate snobs make more money is this:
deal: $100 to kick everyone's arse, 100 people buy
Those 100 people kill every non-buyer
non-buyers get mad and make the stupid decision of wasting $100
new buyers take out their anger on more non-buyers

Called the "We know they are milking us but we wasted alot of money, might as kell kick some arse cycle"

P.S.-a month later they make sumthing stronger for $110
some $100 buyers rage quit, some upgrade and start again

still hate it....im gald i always managed to keep my composure in those games and never buy into that crap

SPaRTaN Z
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-04 00:49   
There was also a rather big exploit before shield/armor damage was turned to positive/negative pres.

Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-04 06:47   
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 18:57, Lord Xanatos wrote:
Here's the thing, though. A new player could buy their rank, but with the new ships, they wouldn't know very much about how to fly them or the skills required to fly each one. Therefore, it would kind of be a fallback compared to those who are the veterans of those ranks. Say you have a person to payed for their rank and are flying a dreadnaught and then you have a regular player flying a dreadnaught. The regular person would likely do remarkably good while the person who paid would probably fair badly and die easier in battle for the reason of jumping rank without going through the experience. Basically, getting a good weapon with no idea how to use it.

[ This Message was edited by: Lord Xanatos on 2010-07-03 18:59 ]

Two things about this which strike me.

Firstly, its not about the ships that you can fly that give rank its importance, its the scarcity of it. A GA is useless if well, everyone is one.

Theres also the time invested to reach that point, which also gives its importance, and a sense of worth. Buying a rank completely undermines both.

Secondly, the Dreads and Stations of this game (which I basically say, are Admiral and Up), are pathetically easy to use. Pathetically. They don't take skill. They take timing and a good hand to hit spacebar really hard. There is no such thing as a bad dread pilot and even a station pilot that never stopped hitting the spacebar would at least break even dying.

-Ent

Undead Patriot
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-04 11:38   
one thing i think would be cool is to change the size of the ships. when you watch movies like star wars or star trek, there is a huge differance in ship size between the small corvettes and the huge dreadnaughts. also make the ships look small compared to planets. planets are supposed to be extremely huge, not the size of 3 stations combined. even a moon should be larger than that. i think it would be cool if Dark Space did something like this.
[ This Message was edited by: Undead Patriot on 2010-07-04 17:11 ]

Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2010-07-04 18:21   
I agree: New Space Monsters could be invented, they should look sinister
and make creapy sounds!

Another suggestion:

There should be a "spawn timer".
The larger the spawned ship is, the longer
a player should be not able to spawn that ship class or higher again.
That would force people to play more cautious and not to respawn spam.

For example:
You Take out your Dreadnought at the shipyard,
now you have 1 minute time to change your mind, if chosen accidently the wrong ship,
but then you are not allowed to spawn a new Dread or Staion for like 10 minutes. (I dont know if its possible to prog it that way at all.)
This would also give Supply/Depot stuff a bigger role.

Problem: It could cause some frustration, if a faction is outnumbered anyway.
Giving the stronger faction even more advantage, because they wont loose their Big ships as fast as the weaker faction.

I have heard: Back in the days you lost so much prestige loosing a ship, compared to the pres gained.
Maybe that was to hard.. but now it often is to easy.

Some people even SD on purpose and still gain pres. (happens not often though)
[ This Message was edited by: perihelion on 2010-07-04 18:32 ]

darkcow300
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-04 21:33   
[quote]
On 2010-07-03 19:27, Lord Xanatos wrote:

I suppose the deletion idea can be left to the user to do alone, but seriously, you couldn't get back on for a whole year? You could have simply used a post-it or something as a reminder to get back on. A year is a remarkably long time. Or...another idea could be an automated e-mail could be sent out after a certain time reminding the person they haven't been on for quite a while and should at least visit the site to ensure their account still shows activity.

[ This Message was edited by: Lord Xanatos on 2010-07-03 19:35 ]

yes I understand I also like the email idea but it's not a reminder i needed it's that I had lost interest in the game gained it back though lol

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019970 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR