No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.9 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Suggestion: methods to control ship diversity in MV
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Suggestion: methods to control ship diversity in MV
PhiliChez
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-01 09:15   
if ur ideas are implemented there will be a massive loss of players, fleets are automaticly well round per se because of new players and all. i disagree with everything u said but it would be cool to modify ships in garage, inspired by you, but it would put the availibility oif res into question... mebbe any planet with starport could send res for ship modding. that would be sweet.

Quote from Caboose on the Red vs Blue siries by Rooser Teeth.
Go to YouTube and watch all 100 humorus and only slightly appropriate episodes!

Email PhiliChez
IANF
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-01 14:15   
no, this is just, no

i'm not gonna fly anything less then my rank just because someone wants a dread. tough luck, and i could see people picking dreads and not doing anything just to mess up our team, it would require active admins as well.

why should i fly a frig cause everyone else picks something big and there is only 1 point left, i may even get stuck with no ship because i was afk for a bit, and all the points are gone, what do i do then?

just no
[ This Message was edited by: IANF on 2010-07-01 14:19 ]

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-01 16:10   
so this comes down to who camps the ship selection screen until 2 points are available?

Vice Admiral Onassi
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-01 16:12   
I think this is a great idea.. Ive only been with this game for a few months and already I see that bigger, is almost always better in this game.. And thats fine if there is a check and balance to big things.. right now there isnt.. +1

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-01 16:23   
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 16:12, al0209 wrote:
I think this is a great idea.. Ive only been with this game for a few months and already I see that bigger, is almost always better in this game.. And thats fine if there is a check and balance to big things.. right now there isnt.. +1

Say, if you were allowed to instantly use dreads, how fast would you stay in ur small ship?

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-07-01 17:20   
well another thing i was thinking was that the first ship anyone chose to spawn when they logged in wouldnt be affected by this.

so you could, if you really really wanted, field that 20 station fleet, but if any of those stations died you would definitely not be coming back in one.

as for points running out, thats a good catch =S nothing to stop you from making the spawn point requirement being 0 for some ships. its just an idea!

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-01 17:34   
The day I am limited from spawning ships I have earned the right to fly, simply to impose somebodie's idea of balance, is the day this game is deleted forever from my hard drive.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-07-01 18:04   
There will be no arbitrary limits imposed on ships. Any limiting we intend to do is via resource management. Meaning you may have to do a bit of work setting up a very reliable and robust resource system (at the expense of other things), or you might just have to wait until the resources become available.

Either way, we're not going to limit a ship type to a certain number. However, if you try to pull out many of a particular type of ship in a small time span, you may find you've exhausted your entire systems resource pool, and have to wait for it to build back up.

f.e. If you try to spawn 4 stations within 15 minutes, you may find that the resources on the planet, and the network it's within, are depleted. You've also perhaps locked out other people from flying ships. This should encourage people away from spamming many types of one ship, and more towards a well-rounded fleet.

We would like to impose ssomething like this as it stands, but due to the nature of the resource system and how the planets within a solar system share resources, we'll probably wait until we look at re-hashing planets and how they work to intergrate a better system.

But as I said earlier, it's still very much drawing board, and nothing is set in stone. However, we do see the problem, we are aware of it, and we are looking at solutions as to how we can do this without pissing everyone off.

- Jack

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-01 19:25   
The only problem with resources being the limiting factor is that it will promote ship select screen camping. It used to happen way back when - some would mine for ships while others would wait at the select screen and spawn their ship right away, because they didn't want to bother mining themselves.

I would suggest a way to personally mine resources for yourself only, so that you aren't sitting at a shipyard planet in your extractor constantly mining, only to have someone else spawn their ship and use up all the resources you were trying to save up for your own. There needs to be a way to ensure that the resources you mined are available for you, if you so choose to make them personal resources and not faction resources.

That way people who want their big ships have to mine for their big ships and not camp the select screen hoping someone else does it for them, unless that person doing the mining chooses to unload those resources as faction resources available on a first-come, first-served basis (which is the current system).

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-01 19:58   
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 01:17, Azure Prower wrote:
The best way to encourage people to use smaller ships was to make them useful in combat.

ie. Harrier and Missile Frigate were a very good example (until they got nerfed of course).

problem with the missile frigates is that even if you do send a few combat frigates on them theres just no way to deal with them fast enough for them to go away.

i mean, i can dodge pretty much anything almost indefinately in a frig until i run out of ammo.

theres only so much power you can give to the smaller ships and not have them be overpowered. for that not to happen you actually have to make them alot less agile so people can actually hit them.

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-01 21:41   
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 06:55, Ollary wrote:
The faction crew should be connected with planets and pop on it (how much birth it has). If ther is 100 pop in a system, then the faction has a automatic increase of 100 crew evry sec, 10 sec or min, dount now how fast it should be. And if u wanna take a New Dread or a destroyed (all crew are death) u need 1200 crew for stations 10 000 crew, frigats 100-150 etc. And perheps ther should be a limit of max crew a System can hold....like 30-40 k ?!?!

This perheps dount take the numbers of stations down but it gives the need of hawing as muchs planets cap. in a system. And even better u haw another system with a SY and full crew in it.

Its like with resources, but human workpower will travel by itself to SY planets to get a chance to fly Into The Infinity with a spaceship:)

ty for actualy contributing to the topic instead of sum ppl just sittin and whining cus they cant spam 10 stations and nao theyl have to actualy think and use tactics

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-01 21:47   
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 14:15, IANF wrote:
no, this is just, no

i'm not gonna fly anything less then my rank just because someone wants a dread. tough luck, and i could see people picking dreads and not doing anything just to mess up our team, it would require active admins as well.

why should i fly a frig cause everyone else picks something big and there is only 1 point left, i may even get stuck with no ship because i was afk for a bit, and all the points are gone, what do i do then?

just no
[ This Message was edited by: IANF on 2010-07-01 14:19 ]

"if ur ideas are implemented there will be a massive loss of players, fleets are automaticly well round per se because of new players and all. i disagree with everything u said but it would be cool to modify ships in garage, inspired by you, but it would put the availibility oif res into question... mebbe any planet with starport could send res for ship modding. that would be sweet. -phili
"
so dis is where teh greed omes in eh? lol id be happy to fly a scout to be honest i mean they are useless lil things but its fun to fly around and beacon ppl and they cant catch u

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-01 21:54   
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 19:25, MrSparkle wrote:
The only problem with resources being the limiting factor is that it will promote ship select screen camping. It used to happen way back when - some would mine for ships while others would wait at the select screen and spawn their ship right away, because they didn't want to bother mining themselves.

I would suggest a way to personally mine resources for yourself only, so that you aren't sitting at a shipyard planet in your extractor constantly mining, only to have someone else spawn their ship and use up all the resources you were trying to save up for your own. There needs to be a way to ensure that the resources you mined are available for you, if you so choose to make them personal resources and not faction resources.

That way people who want their big ships have to mine for their big ships and not camp the select screen hoping someone else does it for them, unless that person doing the mining chooses to unload those resources as faction resources available on a first-come, first-served basis (which is the current system).

hm tru good idea but we shud do a fast mining/population building thing cus it wud suck if u had to spend 30min-2hours to get ur dread out

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-07-01 23:06   
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 05:09, Schroedingers Gun {SOE} wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-01 05:08, BackSlash wrote:
Once the planetary system is in place we'll be looking into controlling the diversity of ships in play. There have been things suggested within the development team but nothing has been set in stone just yet.

Rest assured, we are looking into it (and have been for some time).

and the QQ will be so EPIC that it will be put back the way it was

Then these QQ'ers should quit playing computer games entirely, STFU, sit in a corner and go suck their thumbs.

If these crybabies have played FPS'es online, they will know that there almost always are CLASS LIMITS when playing on servers. Otherwise everybody wants to be eg... the sniper or rocketeer.

I'm fine with class limits, or any kind of mechanism that will stop the dreadstation spam. I can take my cruiser out anytime.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-07-01 23:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-07-02 07:50 ]

Storm514
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-02 04:04   
Alright, I'm seeing a lot of "I WANT MY BIG SHIP TO BE BETTER!!" Well kiddies, if I have a 9mm hand gun and I shoot you with it in the chest it is going to kill you. As would any other gun regardless of size. Why should this principle be any different for a plasma canon or what have you?

Also, I think Ent is reminding us all what an RTS is. Gamespot has this classified as an MMORTS and I think it's about time we start treating like it... Any RTS that you can spam one unit AND WIN is clearly broken (With the exception being Zerglings. :3).

[ This Message was edited by: Storm514 on 2010-07-02 04:23 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.020496 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR