No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » Camera Controls : Some sugggestions
 Author Camera Controls : Some sugggestions
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-26 18:54   
So I checked out Beta because of the very new camera controls thats tied to the interface being tweaked.

Personally, It will take some getting used to. 8 years of right clicking is hard to break. But I think it will work. Except for a few issues.

The main one being:

Its impossible to both have a target selected and be able to rotate the camera at the same time. This is a big one. Its very important to be able to survey the battle while firing on a target. Not being able to do that at the same time is something I do not approve of.

If its possible, you might want to make it so that if you hold down the left button, you can rotate, but just clicking it will deselect. That should fix that.

2. Orders. This is nice to have back in the game but I'd like to know more about how it works.

Since there are many players, there will be many players giving orders. What decides what orders get overrode? Is it based on rank or something else?

That being said, will we be able to give orders to players too?

If so, I might recommend the idea of being able to select multiple targets on the F2 screen. Since there are alot of players at a given time and you may want to give multiple orders, being able to send alot of orders at once would be great.

Thats all the feedback I have for now.

Tellaris
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-29 22:11   
The issue is that there is a conflict with the functions of the right mouse button (RMB). You have this with camera control. Say you have a friendly targeted to give an order, but you need to rotate the camera, or something in the battlefield changes that you need to be aware of and you right click... on say a planet. You don't even need to have a ship selected, it'll screw your own "orders" up as well. I would suggest completely changing the button that does this. Either use the middle mouse wheel button, or choose a different button for rotation of the camera. Its a bit problematic to have a button like that perform two different functions like it does now, especially when one of those functions is critical to effective play.

A better solution, I think is to use the middle mouse button. You can even use it to open up a radial menu and select what valid orders you can give. For example, telling an AI to ATTACK a planet, Defend a planet, or simply to orbit it.

[ This Message was edited by: Tellaris on 2010-06-29 22:40 ]

Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-30 00:07   
Yeah the right mouse button now doing everything will definitely get some getting used to. Especially since i often find myself heading at things i had no intention of heading towards...

Quote:

2. Orders. This is nice to have back in the game but I'd like to know more about how it works.

Since there are many players, there will be many players giving orders. What decides what orders get overrode? Is it based on rank or something else?

That being said, will we be able to give orders to players too?

If so, I might recommend the idea of being able to select multiple targets on the F2 screen. Since there are alot of players at a given time and you may want to give multiple orders, being able to send alot of orders at once would be great.

Thats all the feedback I have for now.

SpaceGK and me messed around with orders a little bit and as far as we could tell it is very rank based.

I am a Fleet Admiral and he is a Grand Admiral- he was able to give orders to me but i was not able to give orders to him. When i received an order an "order received" sound played and a white buoy was placed at the order(both in standard screen and in F2). The order also appears in the missions F(something) menu. You can also see the order I had by targeting me(just like any AI).

As for AI, I could order anything as a Fleet Admiral, but if SpaceGK ordered something I was not able to override the order(since he is a higher rank). So marshals and chief marshals get to have some sort of benefit now.

And yes- giving mass orders would be great. Orders as in "move to XX coordinate" in order to gather the fleet would be a great help.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-30 01:17   
Considering that some of use may not even have a mmb (middle mouse button) aka laptop, that could prove to be problematic as well. I know theres a way to setup a way so that pressing both the lmb and rmb act as the mmb but idk how to do that.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-30 05:32   
Both buttons can be used now to rotate camera action. If your pointer is on a target before you rotate it shouldn't process the click as a targeting/ordering, so if it does do that you should submit a bug report regarding it - at least, that's how I understand Faustus was rigging it to work.

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-07-05 21:20   
I've shot enemies I didn't mean to shoot, and even shot friendlies all due to the RMB. Now, I can't think of a situation where RMB would fire on friendlies so there could be something else going on. Let's ignore that for now.

Firing on enemies with RMB-aka-spacebar-mash is alright sometimes, but when right-clicking to rotate the camera and the cursor passes over the enemy, pew pew.

When right-clicking to rotate the camera and the cursor passes over a friendly, I can't verify it right now but as I recall from yesterday's foray into beta, that friendly got some fire.

Email Antra
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-06 07:18   
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 21:20, Antra wrote:
I've shot enemies I didn't mean to shoot, and even shot friendlies all due to the RMB. Now, I can't think of a situation where RMB would fire on friendlies so there could be something else going on. Let's ignore that for now.

Firing on enemies with RMB-aka-spacebar-mash is alright sometimes, but when right-clicking to rotate the camera and the cursor passes over the enemy, pew pew.

When right-clicking to rotate the camera and the cursor passes over a friendly, I can't verify it right now but as I recall from yesterday's foray into beta, that friendly got some fire.

Thanks will try to verify it and get it resolved.

About the RMB dragg for camera and RMB selection. I heard Faustus say it was 0.5 seconds. so if you click longer then 0.5s you will drag the mouse otherwise it will be a click.

I have been trying to Force myself to LMB drag for the camera, but unfortunately i still don't yet like it..

Page created in 0.013323 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR