No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +14.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Defense Mode feedback
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Defense Mode feedback
Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-06-16 21:15   
i like the sound of "Overcharge mode"

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-16 22:46   

Overcharge, Regen, Defense..... bah. Just semantics.

ICC got what they wanted, a way to keep their shields up. That's all that matters.

Def mode works as intended. Gets ICC back into combat faster, and a way to keep up with the Uggies. Now they can just sit at planets and let the rep drones work on their armor and hull, while Def mode restores shielding.

And I noticed that Def mode works great on their stations. ICC stations are now tough nuts to crack. 3 K'luth dreads took a damned long time to kill a single ICC station with blue Def enh + Def mode. Granted that the station couldn't really use its beams to fire back much. But if there had been a couple of ICC dreads about, it would have resulted in an ICC win.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-06-17 01:18   
@ pakhos.... why were u sitting next to a station waiting for energy to recharge to fire, as a kluth?

anyways, the energy penalty is fairly big and i think its well balanced. trying to run a dread or station during combat with it on is likely to net you a dead ship. havent had the opportunity to investigate it at lower levels but i should hope it scales appropriately. as for its rate, ive heard it reps shields at the about the same rate as our armour repairs with 3 drones on it. the only downside to this is that it essentially gives us "invisible repair drones," which might tilt the balance a bit, but i think thats something to monitor in the longer term. we need a really good, massive fight to measure that.

[ This Message was edited by: Lark of Serenity on 2010-06-17 01:20 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 01:22   
is it possible to link energy-usage to ship-type ?

eg. your combat dread generate 20 energy/s while standing still without fireing and all gadgets off
is it possible to make deff-mode drain 20 energy/s for this ship-type ?
this way ships could regain their shields after combat while repairing and keep their energy but
loose nrg while fighting

but i dont know how "balanced" this might be

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-17 01:23   
I have used def mode and attack the one who has it. This is my opinion:

- When I'm out of combat, energy drain from def mode is meaningless. Even it set to x16, I don't care cause I don't do anything.

- When I'm in combat, def mode really the life-guard. When rotate shields and see zero, I immidiately switch to def mode and move out.

I don't think def mode is only useful when out of combat. Use def mode wisely and perhaps i'm not the one who die.

But, to think what shield means, I have another idea. Shield exists in life so that human can resist to offense longer, in order to kill the enemy. Basically, quit the war, turn on def mode to recover full shield then turn it off to recover full energy, then rejoin seems unnatural. It's natural that you join the battle, turn on def mode to regen shield to hold out, and finish the enemy without alpha. In my mind, a defense faction tactic in combat shall like continously put out small amount of attack while patiently resist to massive attack.

Therefore, I suggest def mode drain 4x energy while regen 4x. Player doesn't die as out of shield, they only die as out of hull. In a circumstance that both can't jump (like duel), a 0 energy ship even with full shield rarely alive against a 50% hull but full energy ship.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 01:45   
Agreed. help all the idiots out there, change its name to

Recharge Mode

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 02:28   
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 01:23, Diep Luc wrote:
I have used def mode and attack the one who has it. This is my opinion:

- When I'm out of combat, energy drain from def mode is meaningless. Even it set to x16, I don't care cause I don't do anything.

- When I'm in combat, def mode really the life-guard. When rotate shields and see zero, I immidiately switch to def mode and move out.

it is ment to "repair" shields faster while repairing your hull , to get into combat again more quickly

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-17 02:37   
De-synchronisation is sometimes an issue. I've seen people blow up at 30% hull while using Defense Mode in combat, and for myself if I use it before making my get-away under heavy fire, shipyarding and getting out also displays a different hull value sometimes.

The energy drain isn't costly enough to dissuade me from using it in combat, but then so far I've only been in fights where I needed to hit the enemy for a short time and so it didn't matter if I lost all energy relatively quickly.

Of course, most advantageous against K'Luth: you can activate (or de-activate) it when they cloak to maintain energy at permissable levels and then change its mode when they uncloak to permit combat with better durability than before.

Regen seems about equal to three repair drones from a rather casual and passive observation so this isn't hard-tested data, but it seems fine so far.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-17 02:50   
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 01:18, Lark of Serenity wrote:
@ pakhos.... why were u sitting next to a station waiting for energy to recharge to fire, as a kluth?

Quote:

On 2010-06-17 02:37, Bardiche wrote:

Of course, most advantageous against K'Luth: you can activate (or de-activate) it when they cloak to maintain energy at permissable levels and then change its mode when they uncloak to permit combat with better durability than before.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-17 02:52   
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 02:37, Bardiche wrote:
De-synchronisation is sometimes an issue. I've seen people blow up at 30% hull while using Defense Mode in combat, and for myself if I use it before making my get-away under heavy fire, shipyarding and getting out also displays a different hull value sometimes.

The energy drain isn't costly enough to dissuade me from using it in combat, but then so far I've only been in fights where I needed to hit the enemy for a short time and so it didn't matter if I lost all energy relatively quickly.

Regen seems about equal to three repair drones from a rather casual and passive observation so this isn't hard-tested data, but it seems fine so far.

Good. So I take it that there won't be anymore whining about how ICC is useless against K'luth or something like that.

Sputter{TB}
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-06-17 02:56   
Well here is so feedback that i'd say is more from a usage stand point. I was in my AD after i jumped got on and was waiting to kill some luthies. Thats when a nice pirate stn decided to jump me about 650gu out and started fireing on me, I turned on def mode thinking i was turning shields off to use my armor up first and even with def mode on and me continuously firing torps and ICs my energy didn't go down all that fast even while fireing, given I do use PFE drives on my AD and wasn't moving i'd say this def is rather nice when needing to def a planet.

Also a point on not for in combat use i kinda dissagree, because if your pri and being beat on you can use def mode as a last resort while trying to jump out because honstly you won't care about the rapid energy drain if it means you can escape with that extra shielding regen

Email Sputter{TB}
DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-17 03:42   
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 02:52, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Good. So I take it that there won't be anymore whining about how ICC is useless against K'luth or something like that.

ICC has never whine about how useless shield is against Kluth. In facts, shield = albative + reflective. ICC whine about their weps against Kluth. ICC usually equip ships with IT, which minimum range is 250gu, so if Kluth get so close, usually ICC screw up. Execpt AD and LS, other combat has many missiles. If you tell ICC to install AR missiles to attack Kluth, it's pointless. ICC missiles are used to spam UGTO only. Now talk about the new sparrow missile, which minimum range is 400-500gu... you know...

On the other hands, never underestimate internet latency. It's extremely hard to rotate shield under bad lagging.

Again, I want to insist that Def mode should considered like ICC HIDDEN weapon. It's not a sword, it's like poison.

Icarus II
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 05:47   
i call BS on sputter, my CD with everything turned off except gennies and pfe's loses power with def mode on, fast..

Email Icarus II
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-06-17 07:10   
pakhos,
A) playing a hit and run faction as a slugging match faction is probably not wise. if youve run out of energy youre doing it wrong.
B) if its shields went up, you were trying to solo a station. dont shoot stations by yourself next time.

energy drain off shield regen is pretty massive. usually i have to drain my ships entire energy store to run shields back up from all 0s. its balanced just lovely.

Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-17 11:50   
I was paranoid that the devs would take it back. I think it's just plain awesome, I LOVE it.

But seeing how others from other factions think of it, looks like we're going to keep it.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.039868 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR