No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +14.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Defense Mode feedback
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Defense Mode feedback
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-16 16:58   
As the title states, looking for feedback on Defense Mode.

It's purpose is to provide assistance to out of combat regeneration (this is not debatable), and to be used whilst perhaps not being attacked, or retracting from the battle for a moment to regenerate quicker.

Feedback on it's use, how much it helps to get you back in the battle and such would be grateful. I'd also like feedback from players fighting against ships using it in combat if possible.

We're aware of the issue with the cycle message, and it'll be fixed soon.

Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-06-16 17:00 ]

Athanasius
Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:00   
It seems to work great, just please change the 'SHIELDS OFF' you get in F4 to 'DEFENSE MODE ON'. That and/or some other indication (other than the massive energy drain) that it's on please.

Email Athanasius
wolf420
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:04   
def mode works pretty well

out of combat you can regen your shields pretty effectivly as long
as you dont turn all def mode on other wise you eat energy even by a planet in combat you can still use it efectively by boosting recharge to lower dammage by turning 1 on at a time

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:05   
change its name to Regain mode it represnts the perpose of it better and Make a seprate button or at least say something "like Def mode on" but it works perfectly besides the points i have stated above

in other news i would like to thank backslash for listening to the icc and adressing the problem we had and giveing us the first Buff we have had in a long long time -THANK YOU JACK-

[ This Message was edited by: Fleet Admiral CRAZY45 *TO* on 2010-06-16 17:06 ]

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:05   
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 17:00, Athanasius wrote:
It seems to work great, just please change the 'SHIELDS OFF' you get in F4 to 'DEFENSE MODE ON'. That and/or some other indication (other than the massive energy drain) that it's on please.

Already looking into this, unfortunately due to how the 'toggle' works, it means re-writing the function entirely. Appart from that, if you click on the shield you should see the nifty < and > buttons allowing you to cycle modes and a message on the gadget indiciation it's in "Defense Mode" when it's engaged.

The matter about "Regen" vs. "Defense" mode is tricky. It is usable in combat to add extra defense at the expense of offence due to the energy usage which adds to your defense. In that sense I see it more as a last stand type of tool, which definately fits the moniker defense, and not regen. Plus there's the fact that it sounds better.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-06-16 17:09 ]

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:32   
is it possible to change the icon-color based on the shield-mode ?
maybe white for on, green for off and red for recharging ?
this way you could easily see, which shield is currently draining your energy (since you can enable/ disable/ recharge every shield seperatly )

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:51   
Issue with the energy drain is once energy is gone, so dose the def mode. It would be fine if it kept going even after 0 energy, but it doesn't so if you use it in combat, not only can you not shoot much anymore, you also aren't regening either.

As for the toggle, should add another button, and bind it to CTRL+Z or CTRL+A.

Another issue is, def mode keeps draining your energy even after shields reach 100%, should auto kick back to normal shield drain once all shields reach 100%. When they take damage, it should kick that shield into def mode (since you have your ship set to def mode) if you rotate into that arc, all shields kick into def mode.

You can't use def mode right after combat, gotta wait for energy to come back before you can use it. You can't go from 0-100% shields on just one charge, you have to turn it off/on a few times before you can (to my understanding you were supposed to be able to do that in one charge, so you can enter combat sooner, since you have to wait for your energy to come back twice nothing really has sped up much). Smaller ships have this issue too, stations have it worse since they have 8 shielding arcs.

ICC energy regen isn't fast at all, its quite slow on some ships (this is with shields OFF OFF).

Overall its ok for a first attempt, needs a little refining for it to be perfect.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-16 17:53   
If it requires recoding to change the "shields off" message to "defense mode" why not just set it to a different key combination entirely? Other than that it's a welcome addition, and I have no complaints about it.

Quote:

On 2010-06-16 17:51, Starcommand of ICC *XO* wrote:
Issue with the energy drain is once energy is gone, so dose the def mode. It would be fine if it kept going even after 0 energy.

Actually it does keep going at 0 energy but only for one arc. If all 4 arcs are set to def mode it's the forward arc that keeps regenerating faster.
[ This Message was edited by: Talien on 2010-06-16 17:59 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-16 18:20   
Starcommand, this mode is not intended to be used in combat, and I've taken into account the time energy takes to regenerate after combat into account also. In fact, this was the first thing I did. As it is now, is where I want it to be, and as initial data is showing, is right within the margin I expected and wanted it to be. All of what you brought up was accounted for.

Defense Mode will stay as a cycle mode on CTRL+S. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail because it would take a lot of time, but rest assured it's for a good reason. The easiest solution is to re-write the toggle code, which will be done at some point soon as stated in the first post I made.

Shields check for available energy before allowing you to charge a shield, and will always charge the first shield device due to how it's coded (doing otherwise would be a waste of processing cycles). Once energy hits 0, Defense Mode will work, but will only work for the shields it has power for.

As far as an indicator that your shield is in Defense Mode, I will look into adding a blue icon for shields instead of the usual white/green, or if it's at all possible.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-06-16 18:24 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-06-16 18:51   
As for the debate about defense mode/recharge mode, how about Overcharge mode? This would imply that it is working harder then normal, and using more energy then normal, basicly exactly what you wanted..

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-16 19:39   
the name shoul defenety be changed, "Defence" mode sound smore of a defensive measure to use in vombat, speeding sheild sout of combat has simply no meanings of defensive,. Overcharge/recharge mode sounds more fairer, to svoid have the noobs get confused by the term and actually attemp using it in combat.
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-06-16 19:41   
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 19:39, Zero28 wrote:
the name shoul defenety be changed, "Defence" mode sound smore of a defensive measure to use in vombat, speeding sheild sout of combat has simply no meanings of defensive,. Overcharge/recharge mode sounds more fairer, to svoid have the noobs get confused by the term and actually attemp using it in combat.

couldent of said it better myself

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-16 19:55   
hmmm well it seems lik pretty good idea since icc get screwed over at every turn usualy....but 1 problem i see with this...."the no use in combat" i havnt checked it out myself cus im havin to redownload DS from glitch.....but im guessing once they enter combat defense mode turns off right? well i can see teh uggies and mah fellow lobsters taking advantage of this.....b4 i continue im not askin for in combat defense mode...thatl be lik fightin a trio of uggie support stations on a depo planet im guessin.......but continueing...they can take advantage of this by...well lets say icc and sumone else just had big fight...icc won or they got outa there and they are all sittin in defense mode gettin dere shields back in case round 2 starts....well uggies/lobsters send in a nub ina frig/scout and attack every 1 of them b4 jumpin out thus shuttin off their defense mode....and a scout will come in lik every 15sec to do this...so ya how about a 30sec sustained combat b4 it presumably turns off? or 15 sec? still i havnt tried or seen it yet cus of bug but im guessing thats wut its like atm

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-16 20:00   
Defense mode can be used in combat, it just uses energy 8x faster than normal so it'll suck you dry in a hurry leaving you with no energy to fire weapons with.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-16 20:14   
It seems solid and strong. Only one thing tho. I see people using def mode in combat. Specialy cruisers at full speed regain shields quickly but i dont have any idea of what kind of energy penalty they get. Also seems like stations use them too in combat.I have notice that on one particular station when i ran out of energy in siphon until next alpha he gained 10% shield. Even it is not meant to be used in combat it is good enough. Also ICC stations seem to last more in combat. Only combat dread looks like not getting out of energy while on def mode. Can regain enough shield and keep firing on certain speeds.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026605 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR