No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » A new ship
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author A new ship
xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-16 10:58   
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 09:15, BackSlash wrote:
Not gonna happen.

^God has spoken.^

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-06-16 12:45   
not as a ship anyways.

i had been thinking about this. if youre going to make a big artillery gun it should be a platform so no one gets pres from it, it should take a god awful long time to build, should need a special engineer ship to build it, and both should be highly visible for the entire build period

even then its probably a silly idea.

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-16 13:44   
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 05:05, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 02:11, -Shadowalker-™ wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 01:44, James296 wrote:
(basically bigger slut hits harder)

I think you mean bigger slug. not the other thing.

Big sluts do hit hard too.

Not that I have gotten hit by one, of course.....

sure, we believe you kenny.

Email Borgie
Homnom
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 01:22   
It would be cool, but it can't be as powerful as you say.

Otherwise, you'd see whoever has it would be targeting the Engies / Scouts / Other weak ships hovering around planets, or flying around battle zones, and ZWAAAAP! Instant death.

Not very fun.

However, something along the lines of a super-laser that could be used for constant planet bombardment would be cool, or a ship with dozens of small, standard lasers that can zero in on ships with massive amounts of distance between them.

Can you say, Sniper Ship?

jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 01:48   
Quote:

On 2010-06-16 06:22, Zerbubus wrote:
the only thing i never understand in games like this and stuff, Where do you get the idea that more Armour means lower top speed???

Yes Thrust would be effected, but in theory the engines would constantly push a object (ship) at ever increasing speeds to the point that it atleast matches the exit velocity of the escaping thrust particles (weither Ion, Gas, other), thus large speed's over time would be achieved. The same being that slowing down would also take greater levels of thrust for large MASS ships.

So a example being a Scout (low mass) would reach a high speed in maybe a few seconds to low minutes, where a Dreadnought (high mass) would take far longer, even with the extra engines it would have mounted, and would need a huge opposite thrust to then come to a stop, and not having same engines forward facing then from rear facing, would take considerably longed to stop then it would to reach maxium speed.

(sorry to rant, but it always annoys me that game seem to have a dead stop on speed at a set point)

heres a thought how about you study physic then come and rant about something you clearly didn't bother to research

Icarus II
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 05:31   
hes right jackbob.. except about the forward facing engines, since you could just spin the ship and use teh rear thrust to slow down the same way...

Email Icarus II
jamesbob
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 06:18   
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 05:31, Icarus II wrote:
hes right jackbob.. except about the forward facing engines, since you could just spin the ship and use teh rear thrust to slow down the same way...

yes lets not forget the fact that going to fast makes it impossible to turn

why else on all moives ftl travel is in a fixed line

*edit* translation for those that don't understand lets go 200gu oh crap theres a planet i can't manover because I AM GOING TO FAST SPlat the 3 factions in there infinte wisdom installed safetys to ensure its not because they are going to fast but the poilet mis calculated

oh before we forget there are already artillary ships they are called missle cruisers missle dessys missle dreads and what ever the kluth call them

oh and icuras he didn't because he would know dam well that to decellerate takes time expecialy if they make it you can go as fast as you want now using a dread engine after it goes past 200 its stuffed (unless by some freak merical it doesn't slam into something. and you clearly didn't bother to check on the web that all motion is relative and that mass does effect thrust in space.
[ This Message was edited by: jackbob on 2010-06-17 06:27 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jackbob on 2010-06-17 06:29 ]

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-17 07:15   
I gather that if DS used a 2D version of "newtonian" physics, a la Star Control.... many of you are gonna end up kissing planets and stars.

But generally, Zerburbus is right. The mass of a ship in relation to its thrust will affect acceleration and delta-V. Not top speed.

But that's DS physics for you. It's a game.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-17 08:32   
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 06:18, jackbob wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-17 05:31, Icarus II wrote:

yes lets not forget the fact that going to fast makes it impossible to turn

why else on all moives ftl travel is in a fixed line

if you turn your main-engine off, you could rotate your ship, without loosing speed or changing the course (no atmosphere slowing you down) and after you turned your ship 180° you could restart your engine to slow down

Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-17 08:49   
To the K'luth version:
The weapon firing the super Psi cannon it would reduce the energy on the ship to near nothing making it hard to cloak for a while after firing it. I dislike the Idea of a beam because then you can just hold CTRL and wave it around the place gibbing small ships.

To the ICC:
Makes alot of sense, they use Railguns. It isn't hard to understand the technology behind a Mass Driver. Although I severely dislike the idea of having it as a anti planetary weapon. The ship itself would be rather weak and the weapon would reduce the energy reserves to prevent it from tanking alot of damage, but not as much energy drain as the Luth varient.

To the UGTO:
Some sort of Giant Pcannon that also reduces energy when fired by quite a bit. Same energy requirements as ICC.

On a brief thought about it, I would say that the weapon should be limited to 5000gu and not a single bit more. It should have a longer recharge time than the JD and should also require a really high rank + badges otherwise you'd have a 12 gun salute before invasion and anyone not moving dies.

On the other hand, the game doesn't require a stand off single blast weapon like some have suggested. I would like to see a Long range Heavy gun ship that uses Psi cannons/Rails/Pcannons instead of a 'Doomsday' (To quote the EvE online term for their Titan weapon).

Banshee
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-06-17 08:58   
Go with the mass effect school of thinking. Its something like

"blah blah,20kg slug, every 5 seconds an everest class dreadnought accelerates one of these babies to 1.3% the speed of light *add in some random typical US marine style comments* impacting with a force roughly the same as the nukes dropped back in the 20th"

But superweapons have never been popular with DS gameplay as a whole, given no actual way to restrict the number of these ships active/stored, the whole game would degrade into a "Who can hit the button quickest" fight.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.020546 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR