No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +10.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Old school resource questions
 Author Old school resource questions
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 10:28   
I was extracting, making plats and thinking back to the old days.

When I say old days I mean the times when a planet would need cyro metals to produce defence bases and if that planet didnt have it naturally then you would have to find it and deliver it or use a spaceport and a mining plant combination.

I have a few questions in regards to this that old players might be able to answer for me:
- What happened to the need for hypermatter and cynometals now that it is just metals and maybe heavy metals?
- When I played in the MV on this 'old school' resource idea nearly all the planets had seemingly unlimited resources of all kinds because some people got bored and lazy when making planets?

Things to discuss:
- Would it help the game to reintroduce this? While alot of people are annoyed by it it did actually add somthing to the game rather than "drop enough inf on the planet and its yours and move on".
You would be required to take a system and hold key strategic planets while defending others. If you add this to more clusters in Saggitarius server (close range planets) and have one of the cluster planets as cyro then you just have to defend a smaller area rather than an entire system while it builds.
- Maybe giving less resource varients. It used to be, metals, heavy metals, cyro metals, hypermatter, urdanium, darkmatter and probably some more added onto that. At the moment its fairly useless having the entire build engine in the MV anyway due to the fact that everything these days is just metal, metal more metal and some heavy metal on the piles of metal.

Thoughts?

It was annoying, but it was good (at times).

Also, please check out the "Capturing planets alive" thread. They are linked.
[ This Message was edited by: SilentHunter13 on 2010-06-09 10:36 ]

Lockerd
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 10:32   
i too miss the days of this kind of building............BRING IT BACK.........and i would love to see this come back as well. and on a serious note we should bring back the metaverse that existed 2 years ago not this random colection of planets. i miss having earth, sag, and exathra as home planets in the meta. bring back the old days.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 11:16   
keep in mind, planet system is beign reworked, i don't kow if the resources and stull like this heavy metal will be changed/removed or remain as it is
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-06-09 12:14   
The seemingly unlimited amount of resources was due the Starports transporting the resources between planets.

-=LoKi=-
Marshal
Imperium

Posted: 2010-06-09 17:37   
"yea bring back" that freaking 1h spended to get resources and play 30 mins wit a ship... o yea... its wold show a light and moust new players whont understant and they wil say: bye bye

Email -=LoKi=-
GunRunner
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 18:25   
I want to bet its better for server load and letencies, and add room for other features that add to gameplay. I think thats what most important.

Email GunRunner
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 18:50   
They removed it due to issues with the mining beam and the ever so present cargo bug. When the new systems comes the resrouces on a planet will be back and start to mean something again. I too miss those days, scen was a different place and you would fight over planets that HAD cryo or Dark Matter if you wanted to build defenses or if you wanted to spawn bigger ships. Demz were the days.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Okkam
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-10 18:46   
For the record I didn't ask for it back, I asked for what happened to it and why it was removed with the possibility of being put back some time in the future.

I just see the current way planets are done as completely useless. Planets at the moment are only good for SY or depo. They don't truely defend anything and just cause a small hinderance on warping due to dictor fields. There is no point holding a planet or making a stand or tactically defending/attacking a system other than "we have 4 stations, 3 dreads, 2 transports and 5 supply ships lets er... attack Gofagac because it's closer"

It shouldn't be that simple and you'll just be completely and totally glossing over planets which (although some people hate the idea of building and resources) quite a large part of the game. Otherwise it would be a simple "spawn with whatever the hell you want from the gate" game instead of having to find a SY planet with a decent amount of resources.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-10 19:25   
It made the planets more strategic. Since they removed it, the other things they have tried to do to make planets matter again have only been marginally successful, imho.

They were removed, and actually this was mostly begged for, because of the amount of issues with lag in the game. The server had to keep track of all those resources, along with massive amounts of components in the star ports, which created an apparent strain on the server, if I remember correctly. I wasnt here for the birth of DS, but my understanding is that originally it was a single resource as it is now.

I do remember that when Faustus announced he would do it, it was a "peasants rejoice!" moment. I will say, that I do not miss being 5000 gu from a planet, and get a collision and message I crashed into that planet. I do not miss the "rubber band", or the "time warp". While I would love to see at least a limited reintroduction of the old res system (maybe half the types of materials), I would not like to see a return of these damnable game slayers.

Also, keep in mind that the trader aspect would be gone, as credits work to support the game now. That takes away much of that systems appeal to me.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-10 21:28   
Things were a single server back then, now with everything cut up between different servers, I don't see much of an issue bringing it all back now that things are fixed a better.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-11 11:20   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 17:37, Klorel (Arcus Prime) wrote:
"yea bring back" that freaking 1h spended to get resources and play 30 mins wit a ship... o yea... its wold show a light and moust new players whont understant and they wil say: bye bye

I...agree?

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-11 11:25   
Technically it's still there.

Right now as the resource system stands, each mineral has a value, and every time the resources are calculated, it multiplies the count by this value (so hypermatter is MUCH more valuable than metals).

What was removed, was the requirements of these resources.

What if we mix the two, say a planet requires a certain mineral, but you still only get resources. Meaning only some planets can have level 3 defence bases, whilst some can only have level 3 mines, or what not. Would that please everyone?

That way you have a mixture of planets that are required for defence, utility, etc; yet still retain the ease and simplicity of the unified resource system.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-06-11 11:26 ]

Kaoschan
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-06-11 13:15   
Quote:

On 2010-06-11 11:25, BackSlash wrote:

What if we mix the two, say a planet requires a certain mineral, but you still only get resources. Meaning only some planets can have level 3 defence bases, whilst some can only have level 3 mines, or what not. Would that please everyone?

That way you have a mixture of planets that are required for defence, utility, etc; yet still retain the ease and simplicity of the unified resource system.

That would be nice yet "Resources" are ot that important, because almost all ship are being taken from the garage and most people dont "built" them im the MV. They use the secure Homeserver to spawn them and just take esm out in the MV.

hmm how about a "Garage Fee" for ships, something like 25% of the ships resource cost, to "take them out of the garage".

*runs away*

[ This Message was edited by: Kaoschan on 2010-06-11 13:15 ]

K'luth Hunter - Recon ~Ping~ Scout - ECCM for the Team, to beat the K'luth!

Goto the website of Kaoschan
-=LoKi=-
Marshal
Imperium

Posted: 2010-06-11 13:24   
Quote:

On 2010-06-10 18:46, SilentHunter13 wrote:
For the record I didn't ask for it back, I asked for what happened to it and why it was removed with the possibility of being put back some time in the future.

and this is what? I dident ask to be back but if it will be back or will it be back ... ?:-s? I`m lost.)))))))
Now on topic: Its better like this imo think what will hapen to the scen, having the posibility to play wit a better ship but been unable coze u don`t have some metals.. witch should be made from a bunch of planets that can be in the hands of the enemy. Now this will bring a vast army of scouts/courvets/frigates, so I think u eather like the 1h scout fight or 2 extract and watch tv?

[ This Message was edited by: Klorel (Arcus Prime) on 2010-06-11 13:32 ]

Email -=LoKi=-
Page created in 0.021036 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR