No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Doran

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Fan Art » » K'luth Ships (Wyvern, Reaper, Manticore, Carapace, Pincer)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
 Author K'luth Ships (Wyvern, Reaper, Manticore, Carapace, Pincer)
Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-06-09 12:12   
If you make the model rather small, it might actually make a very nice Kluth fighter. Tough it may have way to much polys for fighters

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-09 12:39   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 12:00, Veronw wrote:
Mk, normals are awful, so you will need to go in and change that. Bad normals are caused by a series of lines being too close to each other, so you need to spread them out, it will also give the ship a better curve.

Im not a fan of the engine wings, they seem out of place to me. The central part of the ship is okay, has some interesting shapes going on, but the nose needs changing, some more kluthy.

My suggestion for the design overall would be to take a look at each of the kluth ships, and then pick out the parts of each you like. Combine them together, sketch it out, and model the result.

Edit: Also, make sure you keep your first post up to date with your latest pictures, it makes it easier then having to sift through to find them.
Edit2: You also wasted a HUGE amount of polys on the arms and small details. You go from general to specific, so start at low poly, work your way up, cut in the details when you need them, where you need them

Edit 3: Start with small ships, not big ships.
[ This Message was edited by: Veronw on 2010-06-09 12:08 ]

Valuable insights. Thanks.

Let's see what I can muster up next.

Next iteration will probably take a few days.

Goals are to
- reduce unnecessary polys,
- Hopefully clean up those "normals" if I can. (I assume the problem is at the spikes/spines)
- Redesign the wing pods and some part of the main hull.

Overall, I'll keep the concept similar. I've been looking at tubular designs for the game, so I'd really like to try a more lateral designed ship.
(Think ST:Nemesis' Scimitar, B5's Shadow Battlecrab, Freespace 2's SJ Sathanas)

The more I look at the ship, it really does start to look like a scorpion or lobster... LOL.... It also reminds me of Scorponok (Transformers), and the Marauder, from Battletech.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-06-09 12:45 ]

Dorans imaginary buddy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 14:30   
wicked looking ship. it would be a vary nice VA kluth ship maybe

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-06-09 14:32   
luth already have the krill.....krill = overpowered and un-kluthy like loadout

case and point- thay dont need another super dread

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Guyton (Angel of Death)
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 15:56   
thats awesome! i love it

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:13   
Not only do I like it, but I see potential hardpoints that make sense!

EDIT: For anyone considering modeling Kluth ships, think about where weapons will be placed according to arcs. Our current Kluth ships have forward-firing beams placed at the middle/rear of the ship, and in this concept model there's plenty of potential hardpoints in the front of the ship for foward arc weapons, which is perfect (because if this were reality, who would design a ship with forward-only close range weapons placed at the middle or rear of a ship?)

[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2010-06-09 16:17 ]

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:25   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 08:50, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:
The ship itself is really cool! And well done! But there's one thing u have forgotten. Thats not a Kluth ship. It has engines and stuff. Kluth faction is all organic and thats not! Though very cool design.

Kluth ships may be organic but they still use inorganic drives.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:31   
@Veronw: I don't understand why u need it to look like the luth ship we already have, that's boring. Id rather fly something new, just that it needs to feel the basic rules of the kluth ships.

[ This Message was edited by: Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] on 2010-06-09 16:33 ]

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:38   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 08:50, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:
The ship itself is really cool! And well done! But there's one thing u have forgotten. Thats not a Kluth ship. It has engines and stuff. Kluth faction is all organic and thats not! Though very cool design.

pretty sure that theres engines on kluth ships ingame....

think i have 4 on my siphon to be honest with you....

but don't tell anyone.

Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:42   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 16:31, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:
@Veronw: I don't understand why u need it to look like the luth ship we already have, that's boring.

indeed, no point making new and different ships if they are just gonna look like the ones we already have.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-09 16:55   
Normally, when designing a species and the ships for said species, you go off a particular design style. The ship that he made, looks more like the pirate style with the spikes and other rather sharp points on the model. Kluth ships have a style that tells more to a smooth, flowing shape with either wings, claws, or other such items jutting out in places that somewhat make sense.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-09 20:48   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 16:55, Veronw wrote:
Normally, when designing a species and the ships for said species, you go off a particular design style. The ship that he made, looks more like the pirate style with the spikes and other rather sharp points on the model. Kluth ships have a style that tells more to a smooth, flowing shape with either wings, claws, or other such items jutting out in places that somewhat make sense.

You're right that the faction does seem to have a theme in their design.

Looking at their cruisers and dreads.
UGTO has phallic looking ships. ICC tend to be boxy.

There are notable exceptions however....
Looking at the UGTO engineer, it seems to resemble an oversized TIE fighter.... and the ICC tranny is quite raked in apperance unlike its bigger counterparts.

K'luth ships tend to also be long, but spikey/spiney. There seems to be a big difference between their smooth slim cruisers and their spikey dreads. And even the Krill stands apart from the other dreads because it looks like a carrot or banana that has exploded from a shell.

K'luth ships are also the most varied in terms of looks.

Cruisers are long and smooth. Dreads are spikey. The dessies, frigs and corvettes look like sleek winged birds/insects. The workers and drones actually look like bugs.

That being said, I intend to keep the scorpion/lobster profile of this design, but incorporate more "Kluthish" elements into it.

So bear with me.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-06-09 20:51 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-09 21:51   
looks like a nice start. wouldn't mind making a lobster meal outta one some time soon.

Email Borgie
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 22:06   
I'd also give some of my own advice: don't make a model for a new class of ship. As I said elsewhere, we're happy with the general distribution of ships (though arguably higher ranked players are left out of more goodies -- but eventually those ranks will probably get more features, not more super duper uber mega ships), so we don't need a new class to fill in some gap.

In short, develop alternate models for existing roles to provide more variety in a given class... not new ones entirely.

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 01:30, Azreal wrote:
Alright! Another ship that doesnt pass the "hit and run faction" test! Woo Hoo!

Email Shigernafy
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-10 00:24   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 22:06, Shigernafy wrote:
I'd also give some of my own advice: don't make a model for a new class of ship. As I said elsewhere, we're happy with the general distribution of ships (though arguably higher ranked players are left out of more goodies -- but eventually those ranks will probably get more features, not more super duper uber mega ships), so we don't need a new class to fill in some gap.

In short, develop alternate models for existing roles to provide more variety in a given class... not new ones entirely.

Quote:

On 2010-06-09 01:30, Azreal wrote:
Alright! Another ship that doesnt pass the "hit and run faction" test! Woo Hoo!

So in translation, make new models for either existing ships or a new model for a new role in X class for X faction.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023356 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR