No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New ICC Shield Idea
 Author New ICC Shield Idea
DarkCloudd
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-07 09:51   
Since I saw that the "Defense Mode" for ICC got pushed back to Alpha I though I would add my two sense and put down an idea that has been bouncing around in my head for a while and see what everyone thinks. Sorry if I seem to run on I'm not an english major nor did I do good in english in school, I was a math and science person.

Currently the Aux Shield Gen is functional but not really useful and not widely used from most of the poeple that I have talked to, so I was wondering if it could be redesigned a bit to actually make it something everyone would want to equip.

My idea is that the Aux Shield Gen becomes more like the regular Aux Fusion Gens and just add a passive effect to the shields like the fusions do for energy. For every Aux Shield Gen you have equiped your max shield strength per arc increases by a % and has a diminishing return factor to keep it from getting too overpowered and would also increase the recharge rate of your shields by a fixed amount for each one equiped. The step down would be 20%, 15%, 10%, and 5%, for shield strength and a 5% increase in recharge rate for every one. Another thing to keep it from getting too overpowered would be to limit the max number of aux shield gens to 4 per ship.

Since most ships dont have an excessive amount of fusion generators to begin with this will not make ICC ships have the excessive shields like one of those beta posts showed and ICC scout with 11000% shield, lol. Take the Combat Dread for instance, it has 2 aux fusion gens to start with, with my idea it could have a max shield strength of 135% per arc and in increased recharge time of 10%, effectively giving it 1.4 full arcs of shields to redirect to a given shield arc.

The trade off would be less energy for weapons since there wouldn't be any Aux Fusion Gens equiped, meaning less weapons fired and ICC might have to retreat faster if the battle can't be won in a short amount. Ships like the AD and CD that i can think of off the top of my head that are more reliant on energy would have to decide if they wanted more energy for shots giving them more killing power or more energy for shields giving them more longevity in the battle and a change to get the killing blow on a ship.

My thinking is that this would put ICC back into the roll that its suppose to be in, the long range/defensive faction. They would have the ability to survive longer at both long and short range by providing them with superior defenses. Yes UTGO could still have suppys following them but supplies are easy targets when they are in close. Plus this would help with against KLuth since our shields dont help much when the ship is within that close of range its much harder to dodge anything and give us a chance to get back to the range we need to be and to continue the fight.

Please dont get on and say QQ and start flaming it. Please think about it from an ICC players perspective.

P.S. Added after more discussion in the Lobby.

Maybe I'm just arguing semantics but when I see/hear the word Generator I think of something that provides additional power to something else. So it would stand to reason that the Aux Shield Generator is like the Aux Fusion Generator and just adds aditional power to the shields in the form of more shield strength. But they way it is now is that the aux shield generator is acting like an extra shield emiter that is providing just an extra arc to use for redirecting not an actual bonus to strength.
[ This Message was edited by: Fatal DarkCloudd on 2010-06-07 12:59 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-06-08 09:52   
+1 to replacing the stone-age shield generator with an amazing shield booster. Would be cooler If the shield boosters would also support a little power requirement of the shields in total.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 01:26   
sadly, devs will probably just see the words "new" and "idea" and turn a very ignorant eye to this thread.

//end qq

good idea. i like.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-09 08:41   
Quote:

On 2010-06-09 01:26, iwancoppa*Halberd of Light* wrote:
sadly, devs will probably just see the words "new" and "idea" and turn a very ignorant eye to this thread.

//end qq

good idea. i like.

you think there that evil?

i like the idea much :3
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

zinlu
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-11 02:03   
Quote:

On 2010-06-07 09:51, Fatal DarkCloudd wrote:
The trade off would be less energy for weapons since there wouldn't be any Aux Fusion Gens equiped, meaning less weapons fired and ICC might have to retreat faster if the battle can't be won in a short amount. Ships like the AD and CD that i can think of off the top of my head that are more reliant on energy would have to decide if they wanted more energy for shots giving them more killing power or more energy for shields giving them more longevity in the battle and a change to get the killing blow on a ship.
----------------------
My thinking is that this would put ICC back into the roll that its suppose to be in, the long range/defensive faction. They would have the ability to survive longer at both long and short range by providing them with superior defenses. Yes UTGO could still have suppys following them but supplies are easy targets when they are in close. Plus this would help with against KLuth since our shields dont help much when the ship is within that close of range its much harder to dodge anything and give us a chance to get back to the range we need to be and to continue the fight.

Hi, i have quoted and split 2 parts i'd like to point at.

While i want to make clear firstl, that i 100% agree that shield strenghts needs to be upgraded/upgradable, by other means than enhancements.

To the upper quoted part.

There is the main problem you would face when trying to balance out your idea, there is a reason why all but the chem and pulse laser weapons on ICC all take ammo.

Recharging shields while flying at speed, possibly having your point defense active and a scanner/ecm/eccm already drains lets say a heavy cruiser with 2 fusion generators faster than it will, lets say an ugto battle cruiser.

While both are about equal in firepower, standard issue of both will see the BC outlast the HC, in either Hitpoints (lets face it, a shield arc does not last as long as ugto armor does on one arc by far, which is what your idea wants to fix), or energy.

And there is the poblem then. Sure i could stay infight longer and be finally equal in staying power, in the ICC short to mid ranged ships.

But that will be destroyed cause youd have to bug out sooner than before due to energy issues, and no energy= no/prolonged JD recharge, no shields,no PD = dead ICC ship.

So by costing more energy AND replacing fusion generators, youd do more harm than good as it is.

Tl;Dr.: Small shield buff through modding, yes! Much needed! But not at the cost of fusion gens and higher energy drain, that'd outright have the improvement nerf itself and would not contribute to ICC ship performance and stayingpower of ICC close to mid ranged class ships vs others.

To the lower part.

Ugto suppies are a LOT tougher than those of the other factions.

But your thinking, i like that

ps.: Please dont start with the ´´But your supposed to be the long range faction´´ that has no valid point, as long as missiles and fighterbomber wings can be so easily avoided, blocked off, or shot down.
Not to mention if you field 10 missile dreads instead of assault dreads for a fight, youll desync everyone back to the stoneage and the server probably too.
[ This Message was edited by: zinlu (Drink up me Laddies!) on 2010-06-11 02:22 ]

Page created in 0.011493 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR