No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +8.5 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Command Ships and NPCs
 Author Command Ships and NPCs
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 10:46   
One thing about faction NPCs that has always, in one form or another, bothered me is that in many cases they tend to be liabilities more than assets. The many examples including Transport AIs taking infantry off of planets being capped by hostiles, Kluth supply ships revealing the location of Kluth players, and Transport AIs having a tendancy to reduce all friendly planets to 20 inf in order to do a hopeless suicide run on a highly defended planet. I will not even get into Engineers.

My idea, inspired by seeing Pirates rally around their Nautilius mothership to defend and attack, however, involves a complete replacement of most faction AI Scripts. The idea is that Command Ships are given the ability to summon, and order, AIs to assist the team. Instead of a supply ship randomly spawning and moving to a cloaked Kluth ship, a player in a Brood would wait until the Kluth ship is in a safe place and uncloaked, than call a supply ship to it.

The limitations of what a player can summon can be determined by rank, with Admirals being the starting point (as it is the requirement for the first level of command ships) and ending all the way to Chief Marshal. A Command Ship can have a certain number of subordinate officers, say, a certain number of Midshipmen and a certain number of Lieutenants and such. These officers determine what ships the Command ship can summon to its aid.

To prevent exploitation, if the Command Ship exits the field (is destroyed, captured, logged, or shipyarded), then the NPCs directly under the command ship will immediately stop what they are doing and head to the nearest gate/shipyard and despawn.

Goto the website of Novacat
Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-06 10:50   
I believe some system of controlling AI is being worked on.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-06-06 11:12   
i dont think it should be limteted to command ships all high ranking officers should be able to order ai ships

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

DufasRufas
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 11:16   
My idea would be something like giving someone of rank Marshall (or perhaps whoever happens to be the highest rank in a given faction online) the ability to control AI from the F2 screen.

While controlling AI, the game would be similar to RTS for them. They would have to be docked at a SY and not actually flying something themself. They would have the ability to spawn ships from a SY. They would have to make sure to keep resources high enough at those SY's, because spawning NPC ships would consume planetary resources.

They give ships orders. Tell them to go to locations, attack, defend other players, follow other players. Tell repair ships who to repair. Activate individual ships systems (ECM, Cloak, ECCM, etc).

I think it would be a nice reward for Marshall's. I don't think that Marshall's currently get anything for obtaining that rank besides the title.

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 11:20   
Quote:

On 2010-06-06 11:12, Fleet Admiral CRAZY45 wrote:
i dont think it should be limteted to command ships all high ranking officers should be able to order ai ships

Why? It would be the perfect perk for Command ships, allowing them to actually command a small fleet.

It would encourage factions to have at least one Command ship out.
[ This Message was edited by: Leopard on 2010-06-06 11:25 ]

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 11:29   
If you can't see the benefit of flying a command ship, you shouldn't be piloting one in the first place.

Email Sens [R33]
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 11:33   
Quote:

On 2010-06-06 11:29, Sens wrote:
If you can't see the benefit of flying a command ship, you shouldn't be piloting one in the first place.

They are useful, but they are not really as useful as they should be. At the moment, they are just jack of all trade ships that can bomb, build, and fight, but cannot do any of these things particularly well.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-06 12:21   
LOL. I personally think the Brood is the worst idea since the pet rock. What the hell were ya'll thinking with that ship? Just give us one cause the humans had one and that seemed right?

The old Gang was a true command dread. This bombing Kluth dread with a build thing is just.....wrong lol. So wrong.

The Advance Drone out builds it. The Clavate out bombs it, hands down. It's just not a really good ship.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Dorans imaginary buddy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 15:54   
Quote:

On 2010-06-06 10:46, Leopard wrote:
One thing about faction NPCs that has always, in one form or another, bothered me is that in many cases they tend to be liabilities more than assets. The many examples including Transport AIs taking infantry off of planets being capped by hostiles, Kluth supply ships revealing the location of Kluth players, and Transport AIs having a tendancy to reduce all friendly planets to 20 inf in order to do a hopeless suicide run on a highly defended planet. I will not even get into Engineers.

My idea, inspired by seeing Pirates rally around their Nautilius mothership to defend and attack, however, involves a complete replacement of most faction AI Scripts. The idea is that Command Ships are given the ability to summon, and order, AIs to assist the team. Instead of a supply ship randomly spawning and moving to a cloaked Kluth ship, a player in a Brood would wait until the Kluth ship is in a safe place and uncloaked, than call a supply ship to it.

The limitations of what a player can summon can be determined by rank, with Admirals being the starting point (as it is the requirement for the first level of command ships) and ending all the way to Chief Marshal. A Command Ship can have a certain number of subordinate officers, say, a certain number of Midshipmen and a certain number of Lieutenants and such. These officers determine what ships the Command ship can summon to its aid.

To prevent exploitation, if the Command Ship exits the field (is destroyed, captured, logged, or shipyarded), then the NPCs directly under the command ship will immediately stop what they are doing and head to the nearest gate/shipyard and despawn.

great idea if the dev team worked on it i bet it would be gold.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 16:43   
Quote:

On 2010-06-06 12:21, Azreal wrote:
LOL. I personally think the Brood is the worst idea since the pet rock. What the hell were ya'll thinking with that ship? Just give us one cause the humans had one and that seemed right?

The old Gang was a true command dread. This bombing Kluth dread with a build thing is just.....wrong lol. So wrong.

The Advance Drone out builds it. The Clavate out bombs it, hands down. It's just not a really good ship.

I protest! My usb pet rock is a fine companion. I believe the correct analogy would be, "The brood is the worst idea since diet water!"

Email Sens [R33]
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-06 17:39   
Quote:

On 2010-06-06 16:43, Sens wrote:

I protest! My usb pet rock is a fine companion. I believe the correct analogy would be, "The brood is the worst idea since diet water!"

Wow, you actually have one of those? A friend of mine wanted to get a bunch of them for his work computer, he was going to put one in each unused USB port just so people would stop and stare.

Page created in 0.025055 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR