No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +13.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Something is wrong
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Something is wrong
Mr_Morton
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-05 09:27   
Ok i just noticed this recently and it has been bugging me for awhile...so i will ask about it. Why is the most effective position for maximum firepower facing toward the enemy, i mean come on, the front end of a ship maybe has what, 500 square feet of space in which to put weaponry, but the sides of the ship have KILOMETERS of space in which you could put stuff, so my question is, why are broadsides not the most effective position for maximum firepower?

DarkCloudd
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-05 09:51   
That would depend on the ship that your are flying. Realisticly anything below a cruiser just isnt that big to put alot of weapons on the sides of the ships. Cruisers and Dreads at least I know from experience flying them (mainly the HC and CD and the BD a lil in scenario) have more weapons on half arcs than just fore facing weapons like the dessys and frigs.

xplosiv
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-05 09:54   
You are a commander and are limited to destoyers size vessels. The largest destroyer is only a bit more than 400m in length

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-06-05 10:36   
The most effective position for dealing maximum damage is hinted at by the type (not class) of ship you are flying. There are these classes (roughly):-

1) Battle (Sides generally best, all-round damaging potential)
2) Assault (Fore always best, has low side and negligible rear damage)
3) Bomber (Do I need to explain this? If i have to, then fore is best)
4) Missile (Low close range damage, high damage on fore and medium on sides, none at rear)
5) Fighter Carrier (Sides best, downgraded version of battle with lesser rear damage)
6) Station (All sides are equal in the court of stations and platforms. Period)
7) ElectroMagnetic Warfare vessel (Fore is best, sides and rear are weak)
8) Supply vessel (Fore and sides are equal, rear damage lesser than sides)
9) Interdictor (Fore is best, if at all. Sides and rear...forget them)
10) Recon (All are equal, with negligible damage)
11) Cargo vessel (Fore and sides best, low overall damage)

The K'Luth ship classes are invariably different from these descriptions. Simply because they are more battle oriented. Their extractors and supplies have damage competing against the scouts of UGTO and ICC. And by scouts, I mean the ones with decent firepower. Period.

Cheers.
[ This Message was edited by: BoomDude on 2010-06-05 10:37 ]
[ This Message was edited by: BoomDude on 2010-06-05 10:37 ]

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-05 12:39   
This is a game. Not real life.

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-05 12:45   
You can mount a gun on the top, bottom, or sides of a ship and still have it forward facing, it doesn't have to be right on the front.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-05 17:03   
your profile is smaller, while you show your front to the enemy than your side
-> youre more difficult to hit (in reality your wont have a circular hitbox )
[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2010-06-05 17:23 ]

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-06-06 07:51   
depends a AD is supposed to have all of its firepower up front becuz its an ASSAULT ship ment to make a quick chargeing attacks wile the Combat D is supposed to be a brod side ship with more weps being able to fire from its side and at a longer range

[ This Message was edited by: Fleet Admiral CRAZY45 on 2010-06-06 07:51 ]

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 08:38   
Quote:

On 2010-06-05 09:27, Mr_Morton wrote:
Ok i just noticed this recently and it has been bugging me for awhile...so i will ask about it. Why is the most effective position for maximum firepower facing toward the enemy, i mean come on, the front end of a ship maybe has what, 500 square feet of space in which to put weaponry, but the sides of the ship have KILOMETERS of space in which you could put stuff, so my question is, why are broadsides not the most effective position for maximum firepower?

On small ships it is mostly forward arc fire. But on like Dreads. Broadside fire has the most weaponary available to shoot.

-Pol

P.S. - You mostly have weapons on forward arc on small ships is because they SHOULD be facing the enemy... Plus it is to do with the ship model if anything. And if this was real life you wouldn't have a green ring around your ship.
[ This Message was edited by: Poltergeist of the =ICC= on 2010-06-06 08:41 ]

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 10:18   
i don't see why small ships shoudl be different than bigger ship,

I'd rather fly a Dessie that broadsides and shoots a dread and circle him at range then always point my face at him and fly directly at him

i don't say that cuz its the ships shape bla bla bla no no, Its just seem a logic tactic for combat especially for small ships
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 13:01   
despite the fact, that its better for defensive, when you only show your small front to the enemy instead of your big side,
its also better to shoot your weapons forward because of the recoil:
- if you fire in you flying direction, you would just loose a little bit of speed
- if you shoot towards your sides, a ship may be pushed out of its course (or worse)

(but luckily it isnt implemented in ds )

Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-06 13:32   
More space games have their destroyers etc having the weapons mounted to front rather than broadside. Broadside is longer, thus easier to hit: front side has better manuevrability. It's all about combining where to put weapons with what is the most efficient way to ensure dodging is possible. For Dreads, dodging is difficult anyway so they can afford to broadside.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-06 15:01   
I cant help but point this out:

To compare anything in a futuristic video space scenario to real life is...well...misguided. There arent any UGTO Destroyers flying around in space. Railguns for space do not exist. Assault disrupters are a concept. Nothing in space we fly at this time has torpedo launchers.

All we can really do is speculate on what actual space combat would look like. We dont know how much recoil would be caused from a space combat capable destroyer's guns. I would submit that by the time we get to the point, if we ever do, where these things are a reality, the technology for engines, weapons, hulls, fuel, energy generation, will all look radically different than anything we now know.

As far as weapon mounting goes, the thing not looked at is the limitations on a platform (any type of construct that is meant for military application) in gravity vs non-gravity. To say that broadsides are better shots than head on, or even visa-versa i to say there is only one way to fight. The space battlefield would take 3 dimensions into account.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Gejaheline
Fleet Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-06 15:13   
Short answer: The ships in darkspace don't obey sensible laws of physics, and therefore don't have sensible weapon layouts.

Current thinking is that combat spacecraft would either be basically spherical (or some other similarly radially-symmetrical layout, like tetrahedral), or would be long and thin and be essentially a giant gun with engines mounted on it. The second option is considered the more likely one, since combat ranges would be on the order of millions of kilometres and turning the ship to face the target wouldn't be too difficult.

So, after a fashion, DS is actually accurate in its depictions.

Dorans imaginary buddy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-06 15:47   
Quote:

On 2010-06-05 09:27, Mr_Morton wrote:

on most dreads the broadside has the most guns. you just havent been to that stage yet.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026235 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR