Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » How to.....Build a Barren
 Author How to.....Build a Barren
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-04 18:05   
Here are a few builds for barrens depending on where they are in the MV. These builds will be taught as if you were building in the scenario server as you will want to be practicing these. These is written as if you were to be building on the bottom of the planet.

Barren Type 1.
DEF 13
Pop 60-70

First thing when you enter orbit (press O for orbit) of the planet you have picked to build on, start your mining beam (either click on it or press G).
After you have done that you will need to pick either to be building on the top or bottom of the planet, not both.
When you have chosen you will need to press F3 to enter plant view.
Build a HUB on the vary last "ring" of the planet on the bottom of the planet.
When the HUB is done, disband the infantry that was used to capture the planet (CTRL+X twice). This will give you some starting population (1 Infantry or Heavy Infantry = 1 population).
You will then want to build 3 Barracks and a Fusion Generator all on the 2nd "ring" of the planet (counting the 1st ring as the vary bottom one) to get some more infantry and some base line power going. If the planet is getting attacked and dropped on by AI transports then do not disband any more infantry until you have a minimum of 10-11.
Then build 4 research labs next to the generator, this will increase your max research cap to 50 (HUB = base of 10 + 4 labs = 50). As you gain more infantry and population your research will go up in bigger and bigger increments.
Now build 2 Hydro Farms and 2 Domes next to the Barracks (still staying on the 2nd ring). This will get you up to 30 food and 30 Habitat, Food and Habitat should be kept the same number. If you have too much food but not enough habitat then you can only have the max population as you have of habitat. If you have too much habitat but not enough food (and continue to disband infantry) you will have a food shortage on the planet, which will cause population to die off till it reaches the same number as food. This will also cause the Moral of the planet to go down, and if it stays down it will eventually revolt.
When the Tech level reaches 20 you will want to build a Automated Hydro Farm, when that is done Scrap the 2 Hydro Farms (Autos = 20, Hydro = 10 so 1 auto is the same as 2 hydro's).
Now build 2 more Fusion Generators (remember to keep building on the same level if you happen to run out of space move down to the 1st level).
Now build 4 Point Defense base 1's on the 3rd row, keeping them spaced 4 spaces apart from one another (this is also known as build on 5). This will lay down some base defense against AI tranny dropping. With the spacing you will be able to cover the entire planet evenly.
At this time you can now build more Research Labs, build these on either the 1st or 2nd row. Build until your Research reaches 90 and adding any more Fusion Generators when power is needed.
When Technology reaches 40 build 2 Biosphere Condensers, and scrap the Automated Hydro Farm (or farms if you built 1 more and 2 more domes). This will bring your Food up to 70. Build Domes until your Habitat reaches 70.
Also build Quantum Generators and scrapping the Fusion Generators (basically replace the Fusions).
Continue disbanding infantry until you are maxed out on population (it will stop at 70).
When the Tech level reaches 70 build an Interdictor Base, build it on the 1st ring.
Now comes the big part.
When tech reaches 80, replace the Quantum's with Variance Generators.
When tech Reaches 85 (most likely during the replacement of the Quantum's) build 4 Cortex Nexuses, scrap 2 Research Labs when every 1 Cortex is done, Build these on the 1st Ring and close to the Barracks if you can.
If space starts to get squishy (remember this, all planets have a 32 building max cap on them) scrap 2 of the barracks (leave 1).
Now build 4 Defense Base II's placing each one next to a Point Defense base 1. If power starts to get scarce again, build 1 or 2 more Variance Generators.
Lastly build 4 Sensor bases next to the Point Defense and Defense Base combos.

There you have it, a Defense 13 planet that will ward of almost any attack. It has Point Defense to stop bombing (ICC PD1 is the best) it has 4 sensor bases to stop or slow down ECM bombing. It also has 4 Defense base II's that will shoot at incoming enemy's (Kluth Defense base II's do not shoot PSI cannons and I have no idea why, if you are building on Kluth instead of doing the DEF II use Offense base 1's instead). Over all a well rounded planet. If you are in a Binary System (2 stars) then build 5 Solar Generators on the 3rd ring (space them out 3 spaces apart, this is known as build on 4) and build the defenses on the 4th ring. With solar gens you can then build Offense Base II's instead of the Defense Base II's, you may need to add a Variance Generator to cover the "gap" that solar's have. You will also not be able to build that last sensor base due to the 32 building cap on planets, so the plant will have DEF 12. Also this planet will not have its defenses shut off as soon as a bomb hits the planet. With the extra tech and a Mix of the Type 1 and Type 2 Defenses this ensures the planet will continue to defend itself until the last man. This build dosn't defend well against tranny rushing (only a purpose build planet can), but if you build it right (with the barracks inbetween the cortex nexuses so that the inf will pop out on top of them) you can slow it down.

For the MV, just make the planet look like the one above, scrapping and rebuilding as necessary.

I have found many planets that have all Defence Base II's on it and minumum tech to run them (tech 70), these palnets are easy to take as soon as the tech falls. If you find a planet like this, fix it up to the above mentioned build.

Barren Type 2
Tech 20-40
Population 30-50
DEF 16-22

This planet is a purpose built planet, also known as sensor forts or a fortress planet.
Do all the necessary things to get things started (the first few steps that were mentioned above) but do not take the tech level to 90, instead stop at 20. Also build just 1 automated hydro farm and 2 domes, you will only need 30 pop for this.
When tech reaches max (20) start building Point Defense Base 1's, starting with a normal build on 5. After the 2nd "lap" around the planet build a sensor base for the 3rd and 4th "lap" around the planet. From here you can then either add more barracks or continue with the defenses. When doing this keep power even as well, adding more Fusion Gens when needed (if in a Binary System this gets a lot better, build 5 solar's on the 3rd ring again and move defenses to the 4th, the solar will be all that you will need). This planet will be difficult to take for just about anyone, and it can dubble as an infantry planet as well. Tranny rushers and bombers alike will find this planet to be a nightmare to take. You should have 6 barracks in the end and a defense of 16. With 8 PD and 8 Sensor bases, even Kluth will shy away from this one. With Solar Generators you can make it up to DEF 22, doing the same thing adding more PD and Sensor bases evenly bu sacrificing the barracks.

Another Alt to this build is to take tech to 40. You can then build Offense base 1's instead and use Quantum Generators, you will also need a population of 50 so 2 Automated Hydro Farms and 4 domes should do well. The DEF number of the planet will be lower but the planet will be able to shoot at incoming attackers. Use a mix of PD1 in there too so as to not to sacrifice too much point defense (OFF bases only have 1 beam for point defense). Also if you are in a Binary System, things get a lot better and you can have more defenses on a planet as you won't have pop and building space taken up by power.

So there you have it, 2 (or more like 4) builds on Barren Planets, The first build works well when there are a cluster of them that are like that. The second one works well with the 1st one together in a cluster or can do well out by itself.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Reznor
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-04 18:58   
Can we expect a series on this?

Do terrans next !

Interdictor: (DS) A planetary emplacement or Cruiser Class vessel capable of preventing FTL travel in a certain radius.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-04 20:03   
we hsoudl have a book of "how to......" for Ds published XD
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Katejina
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-04 20:34   
A good scen barren build is
30 research
40 or 50 pop (one of those i forget)
Good amount of power
12 Defence bases (each 3 rows down from top in a 3 next to eachother skip one another 3 and so on)
couple barracks

=P

Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2010-07-14 23:27   

Hyper simple depot planet for scenario:

depots 14
barracks 9
fusion generator:5
dome:2
hydrofarm:2

tech 20
pop 30

fast repairing

SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-15 01:03   
i believe you can make a planet in scen for depo with 20 pop, no research, 1 automated hydrofarm/ 2 reg hydro farms, hub, 1 dome, fusion gen, rest depos

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-07-15 03:36   
A good depot planet can have 16 depots and 4 PD1 bases but no dico. (30 pop 20 tech). Always have def bases on a planet, otherwise AI can cap it and its an open target for anyone wanting to bomb, even in scen.

A dico depot planet can have 10 depots and 4 PD1 or OFF1 bases. Never ever use DEF 1, there pointless and useless bases. They don't shoot a cannon and they have less PD and the same number of missiles then a PD1.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-07-15 10:14   
I currently have three setups for barren planets, all for ICC however.

#1: 16030000400320061000000040101 and,
#2: 16030000400330041000002020111 or,
#3: 14020102000180801000020000101 .

You might be asking WTF, well i don't blame you.
But if you look at this list, you might get it.

1 Hub
6 dome
0 Hydro Farm
3 Automatic Hydro Farm
0 Biosphere condenser
0 Fusion Generator
0 Solar Generator
0 Quantum Generator
4 Variance Generator
0 Research Lab
0 Subspace Network
3 Cortex Nexus
2 Factory
0 Mine
0 Deep Core mine
6 Mantle Extractor
1 Starport
0 Depot
0 Shipyards
0 Sensor Base
0 Anti-Sensor Base
0 Anti-Bombard Base I
0 Anti-Bombard Base II
0 Mixed Defence Base I
4 Mixed Defence base II
0 Anti-Ship Base I
0 Anti-Ship Base II
1 Baraks
0 Interdictor Base
1 Shield

Mining outpost with 4 mixed defenses to provide protection for a limited area while still producing a little punch to hurt enemy ships.

Structures: 32
Habibat: 70
Workers Needed: 66
Food: 70
Consumption: 70
Power: 210
Power Usage: 196
Power Surplus: 14
Max Technology: 70
Technology Upkeep: 70
Technology Building Requirements: 85
Mining: 77
Production: 3
Resource Income: 1386 Per minute
value: 240.000

1 Hub
6 dome
0 Hydro Farm
3 Automatic Hydro Farm
0 Biosphere condenser
0 Fusion Generator
0 Solar Generator
0 Quantum Generator
4 Variance Generator
0 Research Lab
0 Subspace Network
3 Cortex Nexus
3 Factory
0 Mine
0 Deep Core mine
4 Mantle Extractor
1 Starport
0 Depot
0 Shipyards
0 Sensor Base
0 Anti-Sensor Base
0 Anti-Bombard Base I
0 Anti-Bombard Base II
0 Mixed Defence Base I
4 Mixed Defence base II
0 Anti-Ship Base I
0 Anti-Ship Base II
1 Baraks
1 Interdictor Base
1 Shield

Provides better Protection from orbital bombardment with 2 Anti-bombard base II and has a dictorbase, in exchange for a little less mining and 2 Mixed defense instead of 4.

Habibat: 70
Workers Needed: 68
Food: 70
Power: 210
Power Usage: 196
Power Surplus: 14
Max Technology: 70
Technology Upkeep: 70
Mining: 53
Production: 4
Resource Income: 1272 Per minute

1 Colony Hub
4 Dome
0 Hydroponics Farm
2 Automatic Hydroponics Farm
0 Biosphere Condenser
1 Fusion Generator
0 Solar Generator
2 Quantum Generator
0 Variance Generator
0 Research Labratory
0 Subspace network
1 Cortex Nexus
8 Factory
0 Strip Mine
8 Deep Core Mine
0 Mantle Extractor
1 Starport
0 Depot
0 Shipyard
0 Sensor Base
0 Anti-Sensor Base
2 Anti Bombard Base I
0 Anti Bombard Base II
0 Mixed Defence Base I
0 Mixed Defence Base II
0 Anti Ship Base I
0 Anti Ship Base II
1 Baraks
0 Interdictor Base
1 Shield

Minimal defensive structures, optimized for low tech upkeep and maximal mining capacity.

Habibat: 50
Workers Needed: 47
Food: 50
Power: 120
Power Usage: 120
Power Surplus: 0
Max Technology: 30
Technology Upkeep: 30
Mining: 77
Production: 9
Resource Income: 4158 Per Minute

You think i am crazy ? Yes i am i got a planet calculation spreadsheets.
And a big list with those numbers who represent half the planets of the Beta Sagittarius.

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore Massis [R33] on 2010-07-16 12:43 ]

Gin Ichimaru
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-15 11:11   
Quote:

On 2010-06-04 20:03, Zero28 wrote:
we hsoudl have a book of "how to......" for Ds published XD

"Darkspace For Dummies" or "Put The Q In QQ, How to QQ and be proud"..... ?

PhiliChez
Admiral

Posted: 2010-07-15 12:44   
rofl u ppl shud be co authors, it would really help some ppl... lol go and do what you would.

Quote from Caboose on the Red vs Blue siries by Rooser Teeth.
Go to YouTube and watch all 100 humorus and only slightly appropriate episodes!

Email PhiliChez
Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-07-15 13:41   
Quote:

On 2010-07-15 10:14, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
You might be asking WTF, well i don't blame you.
But if you look at [url=http://www.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=document.php&doc_id=23&chap_id=905&chap_name=5.1]this[/utl] list, you might get it.

Link Fail

btw: Starcommand post thease in our private forums

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Page created in 0.031003 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR