No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Extreme Building
 Author Extreme Building
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-03 23:37   
I thought I would share some of my own experience with rapid planet development and invite comments from other builders on their strategies. This is obviously most relevant in scenario but the ideas are sound anywhere.

My first tip is really simple:

Plan

Know what you want to make. Look at the overall situation, where the planet is, enemy pressure, type of planet. Are you going to be at the planet the whole time? A two phase approach usually works well - build all the pop, food labs barracks you will need in one go, fill the rest with mines and you can come back later (while scrapping infantry remotely) to finish it off. Good if the planet is low priority.

Barracks First

No matter what the situation, whatever your plans for the planet, your first priority is to get a minimum of 10 barracks up. I usually go colony first, 5 barracks then one fusion power, 3 more barracks then a dome/food and two more barracks. Space the barracks out every 4 points across the top and bottom rows. Depending on your preference and situation you could add more.

This alone is enough to make the planet very hard for a solo player in scenario to cap quickly, and has the added bonus of being a quick inf farm for scrapping or capping others. If you plan on leaving it for a while make sure you have sufficient mines.

Scrap early, scrap often

Scrapping infantry raises your population, helping tech rise faster and get buildings working quicker. If you're eager (and the situation allows it) you can start scrapping soon as those 10 barracks are up to make sure they're pumping more infantry asap. A more cautious approach is to scrap whenever it rises above 20 to prevent the AI pulling inf and slowing you down.

Shipyards: we need extractors!

Again this is all about your situational awareness. Resources are always the last thing ready (and if they weren't you are too slow a builder). How many miners do you have helping? You probably need more, but if that's not an option try to conserve resources. Hold off upgrading the research and power. If you really feel you need defense that early use 5 level 1 bases and don't waste resources on platforms. In scenario many rounds come down to gets cruisers or dreads first. Once the resources are high enough you can start replacing things.

I've avoided trying to spit out end builds. Everyone has their own opinions on that and there are many right answers. My own preferences are towards lots of barracks, 2/3 sensor bases. I also only use level one buidings on barren planets. You can have a well rounded barren for well under 40 population that will be far far harder to cap than some defense fortress has no barracks and is prone to power/tech outages.

Is this useful? Do you have your own tips or ideas on building? Would like to hear them.
[ This Message was edited by: Lonectzn on 2010-06-03 23:40 ]

SPaRTaN Z
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-04 01:11   
COMMENT :Stop giving away Vet tactics,.
let them learn for themselves.
I didn't read ur post,. but the title could mean its an exploit
that and its all changing soon,.
Hurry up devs. so the ppl with a fast aptitude can stay ontop,./
all the secrets of 1.5 are gonna be out soon

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-04 02:48   
Quote:

On 2010-06-04 01:11, SPaRTaN Z (Star Fox) wrote:
I didn't read ur post,. but the title could mean its an exploit
that and its all changing soon,.
Hurry up devs. so the ppl with a fast aptitude can stay ontop,./
all the secrets of 1.5 are gonna be out soon

Agreed! I don't want to give away to everyone how things are built. Thats for my fleet to know.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-04 07:36   
Contrary to my predecessors I think teaching players how to build is a smart move.

nicklane1
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-04 08:31   
Agreed on the fact you need to teach people how to build, how are they going to learn building barrens if they dont even know what to make?

Email nicklane1   Goto the website of nicklane1
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-04 10:17   
Quote:

its attitudes like this that contribute to low newbie retention rates, and gets the staff involved when a new player scraps a planet because they simply dont know any better and a "vet" reports them for "sabotage"
you people locking planets to keep newbs from messing with "your" planets, dont. show them, teach them, help them learn what they need to do.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-04 10:47   
like the Doran said
Shame on yourselves, You guys were all newb at a point, and im sure you asked some guidance
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

James 296
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-04 13:17   
personally I'm busy with other things, but if a newb ask for help from me. I am will to help teach them the basics. plus the best advice is to practice in scen till you think you have it down BEFORE you build in mv

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-04 13:19   
Quote:

On 2010-06-04 10:47, Zero28 wrote:
like the Doran said
Shame on yourselves, You guys were all newb at a point, and im sure you asked some guidance

Yes, once Doran was one of us....

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-04 13:37   
Gah stop complaining about everything and make a proper Tutorial. Every game have one and this game don't. And still ppl don't get why noobs don't know anything! shees

Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
Grand Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2010-06-04 13:53   
Quote:

On 2010-06-04 10:17, Doran wrote:
Quote:

you people locking planets to keep newbs from messing with "your" planets, dont. show them, teach them, help them learn what they need to do.

i lock the planets because of the stupid AI

Quote:

JBud:
Collision detection is funny huh? amazing how it can detect a tiny pcannon projectile hitting you, but a whole planet? nothing is there!

Email Lord Raiden *Super Sup*
SPaRTaN Z
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-05 01:34   
Quote:

On 2010-06-04 10:17, Doran wrote:
Quote:

its attitudes like this that contribute to low newbie retention rates, and gets the staff involved when a new player scraps a planet because they simply dont know any better and a "vet" reports them for "sabotage"

Page created in 0.033958 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR