No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +14.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » What if you could name your ship?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author What if you could name your ship?
Kangaroosteak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-01 20:35   
It'd be neat to be able to name your ships individually, instead of simply being "Original Milk" You can have your ship named "Dragon's Scale" or something cheesy like that.

Some benefits (par say) would be that the enemy would only be able to see the name of the ship, not the player itself, where as friendlies can see your username and the ship you are piloting. Making you sound cooler than your standard name. If you don't make a name for your ship, your username will be shown.

To make sure there are no vulgar names, it will work just like the current username, so that inapropiate names will be dealt with accordingly.

Just like in the Sirius Incident, the name of the command ship was not after the person, but a completely seperate name, this way of names would give your ship character and flare, so instead of being attack by [tag]XxXxX~10Li4m5oCoul~XxXxX and spending 10k years figuring out what it means, said player can have a a different name that is more closely related to darkspace vibe.

Unless you can find a real life pilot who named their vessel after a dairy product, please support this (or not, it's your opinion (Or is it?))

And don't say "Why didn't you just name yourself Dragon Scale?"
Well, I didn't so too bad, I like this name, but there are so many other interesting names out there, just one can't be enough.
[ This Message was edited by: Original Milk on 2010-06-01 20:38 ]

Goto the website of Kangaroosteak
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:14   
Yup. I've suggested this earlier. Personalizing your ship will make it mean more to you.

U have up to 8 ships in your garage, each of them will have a different name.

Besides that, there could be a space on your hull that will reflect the name of the ship.... ie. decals. But in doing this, I guess there will be a character limit on the ship name.

And while were on the decal bit, I also suggested adding fleet flags as decals on the ship. Then fleet leaders will be able to design a ...say... 130x80 decal/flag/banner for their fleet, and all the fleeted ships will have that decal placed somewhere on the hull, depending on class.

Some people were suggesting to customize the color of the ship.... which I find offensive if not tastefully done. Imagine a fully pink UGTO dread. Instead, I would suggest perhaps allowing some trims on the ship to be color customizable.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-06-01 23:05 ]

Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral
United Nations Space Command

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:31   
I've seen this suggest a lot over the years, and while it's almost unanimous that it would be a really good thing to have most of the staff think it would be a little to much work for the trouble it could cause. Not that it would be hard to add a name or decal area, but that some more immature parties would think it would be funny to put some rather inappropriate names or decals onto their ships for the 'lulz'.

Personally I'd love to see something at least for your fleet, like their abbreviation on the ship or something like that. Just to make it a little more individualized. But having ship names would be really cool to have too, I know some players go ahead and name their ships anyway, but it's a little hard to tell ig.

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:33   
but for teh LULZ is the best reason to do anything

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:38   
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 21:31, Winters Rapture wrote:
I've seen this suggest a lot over the years, and while it's almost unanimous that it would be a really good thing to have most of the staff think it would be a little to much work for the trouble it could cause. Not that it would be hard to add a name or decal area, but that some more immature parties would think it would be funny to put some rather inappropriate names or decals onto their ships for the 'lulz'.

Personally I'd love to see something at least for your fleet, like their abbreviation on the ship or something like that. Just to make it a little more individualized. But having ship names would be really cool to have too, I know some players go ahead and name their ships anyway, but it's a little hard to tell ig.

LOL. There're already filters on chat. Filters can apply for ship names too.

Anyway, when you target the ship, the name can always appear on the lower right ship info window. Perhaps by this, you can identify which particular ship your opponent is using, if he uses the same type of vessel with different configurations, mods or enhs.

And yeah to what Milk said. Enemies can see only your ship name, and friendlies can see both your user and ship name. A little protection for Devs perhaps.... ... since they're almost always targetted by the opposing team the moment they use their main account to play. **HINT HINT DEVS! IDEA HERE **

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-06-01 23:00 ]

Kangaroosteak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:42   
If this was actually implemented, what would you name your ship anyway?

My BattleDread would be The Highlander. :3

Goto the website of Kangaroosteak
Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:44   
* wud name his "Redemption"

0stego
Fleet Admiral
United Armed Corps

Posted: 2010-06-01 21:59   
I like the idea of naming your ship, and adding your fleets logo to the hull of your ship would be amazing!

Goto the website of 0stego
Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 22:03   
I will admit I havent been in-game much lately, but I have been reading a lot about bickering and immature dialog being a problem. The ability to name your ship (thus hiding your character name) or not name your ship (thus showing your character name) would make this immature behavior less sustainable.

People would have to question whether they are trashing on Player X to Player X in a different ship.

It would allow devs, mods and admins to fly without being recognized. A character name change for a dev to hide is quickly exposed by the /who command, where this ship name would provide them the ability to play without players whining at them or changing their behavior in their presence.

Perhaps the /who command executed on a ship name reveals only the ship type and the rank of the pilot (not the pres though).

I know what you are thinking. You can just change your profile name and accomplish the same thing, but who wants to go to all that bother of changing their name and then having to announce it to all your friends and fleetmates. And then half of them were busy and not paying attention so you have to identify yourself again when they ask who you are and blah blah.

The idea here is that while flying a named ship, only people on your friends list and in your fleet would be able to see your true name (and you ship name of course) while all others (even other not-your-fleet factionmates) would see only the ship name.

Of course there would have to be some kind of identifier that lets others know they are looking at a ship name rather than a character name, such as making the name italicized or something.

Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 22:12   
KANMAN! *waves*

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-01 22:39   
Custom ship names would be fun, I'd name my Sensor Corvette "Really Annoying".

Decals would be nice too, but having a ship name as a decal wouldn't really work too well because of Scouts I'd think. But hey, custom decals could be something bought with credits, sorta like costumes in a lot of MMOs.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 22:43   
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 22:39, Talien wrote:

Decals would be nice too, but having a ship name as a decal wouldn't really work too well because of Scouts I'd think. But hey, custom decals could be something bought with credits, sorta like costumes in a lot of MMOs.

Yeah, scouts and frigs are a li'l to small to accomodate the name. Prolly name decals only on Destroyer classes and above only.

Payment sounds like a good idea too. With the ability to customize the color for trims or stripes on the ships, and also add custom decals/banners on the ship to personalize them, credits could be used.

Users can then choose from a set of DS decals, or upload their own within size constraints, and be allowed to preview them before commiting and paying for the "installation". Users could have the option to place them at selected spots on the ships.

As for the name decal and fleet decal however, it should be allowed as a standard feature. And their positions on the ship should be standardized too.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-06-01 23:01 ]

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-02 00:54   
Been suggested before, haven't seen any good argument against it but I am pretty sure this is one of those ideas that falls to the bottom of the "if there is time" list.

Edit:
"enemy would only be able to see the name of the ship"
This would make things really weird, you would never know who is attacking you.
[ This Message was edited by: Sops on 2010-06-02 00:58 ]

Glaceon
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-02 01:02   
+1 this is the 2nd thing i want most in dark space (the 1st is to be GA)

Code Red
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-06-02 05:05   
Would be sweet to have fleet logo and ship name appearing on your ship tbh , even if logo's were restricted by limiting choice from approved list to limit problems with numbers / details etc.

Code Red, For winning in the 1RA Fleet Wars event, here's your coupon for a week.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.032676 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR