No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Building Question
 Author Building Question
SpaceAdmiral
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:11   
When i build a planet in scen (i dont build in mv) i usually build on the north pole (very top row) and make sure the sy and dictor are there. After i run out of space i build on south pole (very bottom row). I put defenses 2 rows from the top (3rd row down). I was wondering if i shouldn't build on south pole because my def are in northern hemisphere and instead build on the row below the first.
[ This Message was edited by: SpaceAdmiral on 2010-06-01 18:11 ]

Kangaroosteak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:30   
It's all on personal preference, as long as the def bases are able to defend both positions, you should be fine.

Goto the website of Kangaroosteak
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-01 19:14   
I've heard a couple times that random troop drops always land in the northern hemisphere (I've not noticed this myself but I don't really pay attention where they go if I'm dropping randomly) and they say it's best to build as much as possible in the southern. Though I really don't see how it'd make much difference since if you're setting troops to attack it don't much matter where they land, and if you're setting them to raze you better be selecting a target to drop them on.

Defenses are most definitely best as high or low as you can put them though, that way they don't end up causing friendly fire by hitting your own ships or platforms in orbit, if you stick them on the equator they'll shoot directly into whatever's in the way, which is not fun. My personal defense base build strategy is 1 row up from the bottom or 1 row down from the top, and every 3 spaces. If it's a SY planet use level 1s instead of 2s, SY planets won't have enough workers or power to support a bunch of level 2 bases.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-01 19:36   
If your defenses are in the northen hemi, and you have important structures in the southern hemi, then you make the southern hemi easier to bomb or raze from. Anything on the equator is easier to raze and bomb as well.

Keep defenses and structures all high or low, but together for the best chances of defenses to protect your structures. This is especially true if enemy is ecm bombing, but I wont elaborate on that particular thing.....

All said, truly you are probably better off in most cases building lvl one defense bases, and a crapload of barracks.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-01 19:58   
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 19:36, Azreal wrote:

All said, truly you are probably better off in most cases building lvl one defense bases, and a crapload of barracks.

For MV yeah, makes them harder to cap if there's no players to defend, but wouldn't level 2s be better in scen since you'll be defending the planets yourselves anyway? I usually see objective planets surrounded by platforms and chock full of mostly level 2 bases.

.....Actually that makes me wonder about something else too, wouldn't regular inf be better for defending rather than heavy since they build twice as fast?

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-01 20:16   

Only one thing I learnt.

In a friendly system. Build more of the defense/offense bases on the side of the planet facing the transfer gates or jump gates leading to hostile systems.

Enemy trannies usually spawn from these gates and make a beeline straight for your planet to rush it.

doda *EP5 no longer exception...*
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-02 00:20   
in the end does planet def ever make much of a diff?

Stevefin
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-02 01:33   
Agianst new or unskilled players and AI, Yes, against the vets...Not really as they have played this game for quiet awile, or maybe just good at it and will find a hole in planet defances or just tranny rush unload troops on it

Talien
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-06-02 01:44   
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 20:16, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Only one thing I learnt.

In a friendly system. Build more of the defense/offense bases on the side of the planet facing the transfer gates or jump gates leading to hostile systems.

Enemy trannies usually spawn from these gates and make a beeline straight for your planet to rush it.

If planets didn't rotate that would be ideal, but they do rotate slowly (at least all the ones I've seen do) so if you cluster defenses on one side eventually they'll all be facing away from the gate and make it really easy for AI bombers/transports to attack it.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-02 03:24   
Quote:

On 2010-06-02 01:44, Talien wrote:
If planets didn't rotate that would be ideal, but they do rotate slowly (at least all the ones I've seen do) so if you cluster defenses on one side eventually they'll all be facing away from the gate and make it really easy for AI bombers/transports to attack it.

of course you scrap 'em and build 'em new, when the planet turned too much

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-06-02 03:46   
Quote:

On 2010-06-02 01:44, Talien wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 20:16, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Only one thing I learnt.

Yeah, true. But I was talking about rush building them in a Scen server as it came under attack. Just bring up a few more offense base on the side under attack helped in defending it against light tranny rushing. Planet takes a few minutes to rotate, so it will help in those few precious minutes.

In the MV.... won't work. Won't matter anyway. Stations and dreads will pound them into the ground.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-06-02 04:11 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-06-02 06:47   
I prefer to have heavy inf on the ground filled up to 32, then put the barracks on regular inf.

I also prefer to put the troops on defend rather than attack. It forces the enemy inf to work their way to your inf, and prevents your inf from running to the drop side for easy bombing.

Just a vet tip.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Lonectzn
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-03 02:22   
It also leaves the planet open to razing, but then people very rarely think to do that.
[ This Message was edited by: Lonectzn on 2010-06-03 02:27 ]

Page created in 0.026040 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR