No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

1st - Alamode

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Station Spam
 Author Station Spam
Coeus
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:06   
You've done it. I've done it. We've all done it. If station spam was a VD we'd all have HIV, AIDS, Hep A, B, & C, The Clap, Crabs, and Swine Flu.

Question is this: Is this a good game mechanic? Should one faction be able to field 50%+ of their numbers in these lumbering behemoths and utterly decimate everything on the battlefield? Some say yes, some say no.

What I want to know is this: WHY is it a good game mechanic in the eyes of the spammers? Personally, when I have done it - it was usually to invade a tough cluster, encroach on a force sitting at a well defended planet (usually an equal numbered force to boot), or something similar therein.

Personally, I think it's a horrible game mechanic (and yes, being aware of the hypocracy of my opinion - this also makes me a little more able to talk about the subject than Lt. Commander Johnny Boy who just got stomped on by a trio of Battle Stations). Ignoring the unrealistic (Realism? In my Darkspace? More likely than you think!) scenario of a military launching a half dozen of their most expensive & prized posessions out into a hot combat zone (Ever see a half dozen aircraft carriers launched straight into a fire fight? Yeah, once... the Japanese 60 some odd years ago), it's just not good sportsmanship and really is one-sided fun for the most part.

And in the end - how fun is it being a part of such an overwhelming number of people in such massive unstoppable ships that everyone else just leaves? Reeks a little much of DNKROZ or IDDQD to me.

Again, why is being able to field massive numbers of stations a GOOD thing? I really do want to know why some people think this way - and I'm not talking in response to the other team's station swarm (that's understandable), I mean launching an offensive using mostly stations against an enemy with all or mostly all ships?

ICC Security Council Chief Enforcer

Email Coeus   Goto the website of Coeus
Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:11   
The reason why its done, and actually valid, is because of the rather insane self-regenerative properties. When UGTO threw 7 stations at the ICC Earlier today, it was not the Station's health, the station's shields, or the station's weapons that saved it. It was the fact the Stations were able to out-repair the damage the ICC were doing to it.

Sens plans on fixing this issue by making it so that only the innermost armor of a station will repair when Reload drones are pasted to it. So instead of reload drones repairing all 8 armor slots on a station, the reload drones would only repair 4.
[ This Message was edited by: Leopard on 2010-06-01 19:18 ]

Goto the website of Novacat
Condemned
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:19   
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 18:11, Leopard wrote:
The reason why its done, and actually valid, is because of the rather insane self-regenerative properties. When UGTO threw 7 stations at the ICC Earlier today, it was not the Station's health, the station's shields, or the station's weapons that saved it. It was the fact the Stations were able to out-repair the damage the ICC were doing to it.

Despite Jack's denial that this is a problem, Sens plans on fixing this issue by making it so that only the innermost armor of a station will repair when Reload drones are pasted to it. So instead of reload drones repairing all 8 armor slots on a station, the reload drones would only repair 4.

[ This Message was edited by: Leopard on 2010-06-01 18:13 ]

That fixes nothing, if they can out repair the damage with all 8 then fixing 4 faster than 8 will just make it worse if anything...

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:24   
Quote:

On 2010-06-01 18:11, Leopard wrote:

Despite Jack's denial that this is a problem, Sens plans on fixing this issue by making it so that only the innermost armor of a station will repair when Reload drones are pasted to it. So instead of reload drones repairing all 8 armor slots on a station, the reload drones would only repair 4.

Stating I've said things that I haven't is always a good way to get in with the dev's!

Regardless of your imaginary statement, I have stated (quite openly) that this is a problem (and I'm sure there are plenty of people around to find the quotes on the forums/lobby, etc). The issue is that we can't force people to not play in ships they've rightfully earned the right to fly, and we don't have a way to properly solve this problem easily.

Nerfing a factions stations is not a way to solve 'station spam'. That just nerfs one factions stations and does nothing to combat the problem if other factions decide to do this. We're also not sure if this is a right move to make yet - these are all things we test, and there was no statement that this would ever make it into game; much the same as Defense Mode for shields.

I would suggest getting your facts straight in the future before mumbling tripe .

Going to lock this topic as there was another similar to this not too long ago, with much of the same in it. We're aware it's a problem, and we're looking into it (I for one HATE it). There's just no simple and quick fix for it that pleases everyone.

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-06-01 18:52 ]

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-06-01 18:36   
i think the problem here is so many station-capable players with entitlement complexes that want bigger better moar.

obvious solution then is to 1) get rid of everything above FA rank (superfluous anyway), 2) reset EVERYBODY'S rank back to 0 or just force a roll over for everyone whos >= 2*FA because we all know they win all game forever, and finally 3) exponentially increase res-lost on death for each successive hull class so that losing a station will OMGWTFFBBQ your pres, loseing a dread will cause severe anal leakage, cruisers will make you wimper and call for your mommy, a box of juice and some graham crackers...

Page created in 0.015471 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR