No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » K'luth defenses and combat
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author K'luth defenses and combat
Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-05-26 15:33   
I'm finding luthie ships still have a bit too much staying power in a fight. This is from playing with them in scenario and from fighting them in MV.

e.g. my combat dessy versus a kluth dessy, the kluth didnt cloak once and just kept fighting with me

e.g. in a firefight my siphon can kill or chase off another dread before having to cloak, usually with energy to spare, and usually without being in any severe danger of being destroyed.

its also extremely frustrating to lose several ships in your fleet and watch the kluth lose nothing in the entire fight, get away with X hull value and be ready to fight again far earlier than anyone on your faction will ever be. where an ICC dread has to retreat to a depot planet and takes several minutes to repair (sometimes tens of minutes. im sure UGTO players can speak to this more readily than us, 90% of UGTO play time seems to be spent repairing), the kluth can rest in deep space and be field-ready in a couple of minutes, and always be full hull faster than ICC.

A review of game mechanics:

K'luth have poor armour (or are supposed to), so their hull is effectively all theyve got. thus they have the automated repair so that their hull recharges the same way UGTO armour and ICC shields do. the problem is that in order for ICC and UGTO to maintain our defensive advantages over kluth we need armour AND hull repaired. since Kluth are mostly hull it works out to be a relative defense advantage i find. it also seems that kluth armour is a bit too thick: my support station firing at a passing kluth cruiser barely knicked his hull value. that doesnt feel right when fighting kluth. as ICC im uncomfortable getting into range of any station even with an AD. also, automated repair means kluth technically dont need to field repair ships, whereas most UGTO and ICC fleets have at least 1. thats 1 very easy ship to kill versus a destroyer/cruiser/dreadnaught being fielded on the kluth side of a balanced fight.

the kluth cloak is their principle defense. it allows their smaller ships to quickly disengage, and larger ships have a good chance of escaping with it. with perhaps the exception of stations its a pretty good chance a luth vessel will get away. this is especially true when kluth are taking turns decloaking: its easier for a fleet to focus fire on the visible kluth than try and track down one that isnt an immediate threat. this translates however into kluth repeatedly doing loops around and attacking, always with a higher hull value than where they were left off (sometimes dramatically in a short period of time, which is mystifiying). as ICC, it doesnt feel like we have very many options.

A) if we sit at the planet at fire at incoming kluth ships it basically facilitates their tactic and we eventually lose. our shields dont seem to recharge as fast as their hull can be repaired. they have a sustained attack advantage against our supposed defensive advantage

B) if we pursue disengaging and damaged kluth ships, we are opened up to fire from the next attack wave. it also strings our fleet out and makes everyone more vulnerable. it really isnt an option against a coordinated kluth attack.

C) ECCM pinging doesnt tell us who to target first and makes coordinating weapons fire very difficult. laying down tons of ECCM increases cloak time but not by a very large amount, kluth can compensate by speeding up their attack runs. beacons means sacrificing firepower on the field, so its not a very good trade in the short term. that and several ppl have reported beacons bugging out on them and not spawning when fired.

lastly, kluth have traditionally had much less energy than the other factions. this is still the case but as mentioned my siphon can fire repeatedly before having so little energy i need to leave; to the point that i can kill a dreadnaught and leave in an evenly matched firefight.

i DONT want to strip the kluth of the tactic im referring to above, as it is clearly their most effective and i personally enjoy doing it when i play kluth. its difficult to orchestrate and fun and effective, and i like it and i like seeing kluth use it. its frustrating on the receiving end but its obviously the best way to use cloak. HOWEVER, i DONT think its fair that it can continue nearly non-stop, with the defending force facing the problems i mentioned above. im doing my very best to be fair here. with that said,

i think ONE of the following needs to happen:

A) tweak kluth energy to be a bit lower, or make it recharge slower, so that kluth ships cant do a quick loop around and continue firing; make it so kluth ships have to spend as much time at rest as ICC and UGTO ships do after an intense fight. either that or decrease rest time for UGTO and ICC. UGTO spend most of their time repairing at planets, ICC spend a similar amount of time repairing and waiting for shields to recharge. the new rest mode for ICC shields is a boon to us when repairing but UGTO will still have a massive disadvantage, and it doesnt solve the active repairing problem happening in combat situations.

B) tweak kluth automated repair so that it doesnt have as much ammo. thus kluth ships actually need a resupply ship between fighting rounds in order to get back to fighting strength. automated repair becomes a temporary solution that will last a couple loops at best.

C) alter the armour setup on kluth: ICC MDs and other missile ships used to have no rear facing armour or shield. doing this to kluth would make a fair bit of sense: all of their ships are supposed to be forward firing attack ships, meaning their rear is supposed to be the most vulnerable. accentuating that vulnerability so that a kluth ship doing a strafing run will always take a significant amount of damage when its moving away (and thus cant always make a quick repeat of that run) would make some sense. dreadnaughts would supposedly be safer because they tend not to make those kinds of attacks. it would also make the principle tactical counter to kluth (flying smaller ships than them and spacing out enough that they cant do their looping strafing runs without someone shooting them in the back) a much better counter: one that is similarly effective and similarly difficult to orchestrate.

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 16:03   
well secnario server and sag server are two differnt servers i don't know if you knew this or not (not trying to be mean with that statement even thow it seem harsh) but on sag you have enh now you play what icc and ugto on sag but luth in secnario on secnario by time you get up to sy on the planets the game almost over and no reason to get upgrades. but on sag you need upgrades. now of cource a stripped down siphon vs another human dread proable has a good chane on winning but with upgrades it a differnt story.

onto energy. yes it is true we can shot cloak and repair but while we are cloak we can't do anything meanwhile yall are point click spam space bar and were still getting hit and are armor is extremly paper thin and we usally cloak when are armor go so are armor reg works and we don't use up all our ahr. on top of that while we shot are disruptors even thow were doing damage the whole time it running we are also losing energy. my mandy can do maybe 3 or 4 alpha and that with cloaking most of the time i am just using my psi and torps saving ruptors for a one shot kill with the damage arc. that how it suppose to be. and it usally takes 4 or 5 mins for my energy to recharge while i am cloaked and in battle cause i have to keep up speed in order to dodge fire cause we take more damge while cloaked then we do uncloaked.

Xydes
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 16:09   
Remember this varies depending on how the pilot flies his/her ship. I mean I turn the siphon into a long range sniper. Just spam 111s and 33333s. And then I use Beams IF i have energy to spare of it the target is urgent.

So it really does depend.

-Valkaryie

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-05-26 16:34   
yes, im aware of the points you brought up. lets look at something else though

"we usally cloak when are armor go"

THAT is a problem.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 16:46   
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 15:33, Lark of Serenity wrote:
C) alter the armour setup on kluth: ICC MDs and other missile ships used to have no rear facing armour or shield. doing this to kluth would make a fair bit of sense: all of their ships are supposed to be forward firing attack ships, meaning their rear is supposed to be the most vulnerable. accentuating that vulnerability so that a kluth ship doing a strafing run will always take a significant amount of damage when its moving away (and thus cant always make a quick repeat of that run) would make some sense. dreadnaughts would supposedly be safer because they tend not to make those kinds of attacks. it would also make the principle tactical counter to kluth (flying smaller ships than them and spacing out enough that they cant do their looping strafing runs without someone shooting them in the back) a much better counter: one that is similarly effective and similarly difficult to orchestrate.

afik, all icc-ships have at least 1 shield-layer, protecting every side of the ship.

Max Kepler
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-05-26 16:46   
Quote:

This makes complete sense, and should be implemented. It seems ridiculous to me when I can sit on the rear of an uncloaked K'luth Dread with my Assault Cruiser and it takes 4 or 5 salvos to take down their armor, while they can take down my shield's (and some hull) in 1 salvo if they're on my rear. There should be severe penalties for exposing your aft in a K'luth vessel. You don't need to take ALL the armor away, but some of it.
But the idea doesn't drastically alter their tactics. They just have to be more careful about long term exposure from the rear.

Email Max Kepler   Goto the website of Max Kepler
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 16:56   
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 15:33, Lark of Serenity wrote:
I'm finding luthie ships still have a bit too much staying power in a fight. This is from playing with them in scenario and from fighting them in MV.

If you say krill is op , i would say aye. But whole faction? I mean, come on!
Quote:

e.g. my combat dessy versus a kluth dessy, the kluth didnt cloak once and just kept fighting with me

Public poll for beta, look for the thread , i said that about kluth frigatesbefore 1.5 came alive. But people hanged me.

Quote:

e.g. in a firefight my siphon can kill or chase off another dread before having to cloak, usually with energy to spare, and usually without being in any severe danger of being destroyed.

Lies, 99.9 % of time I run out of energy with siphon.

Quote:

its also extremely frustrating to lose several ships in your fleet and watch the kluth lose nothing in the entire fight, get away with X hull value and be ready to fight again far earlier than anyone on your faction will ever be. where an ICC dread has to retreat to a depot planet and takes several minutes to repair (sometimes tens of minutes. im sure UGTO players can speak to this more readily than us, 90% of UGTO play time seems to be spent repairing), the kluth can rest in deep space and be field-ready in a couple of minutes, and always be full hull faster than ICC.

I think you never read the thread of ugto repair rate.

Quote:

A review of game mechanics:

K'luth have poor armour (or are supposed to), so their hull is effectively all theyve got. thus they have the automated repair so that their hull recharges the same way UGTO armour and ICC shields do. the problem is that in order for ICC and UGTO to maintain our defensive advantages over kluth we need armour AND hull repaired. since Kluth are mostly hull it works out to be a relative defense advantage i find. it also seems that kluth armour is a bit too thick: my support station firing at a passing kluth cruiser barely knicked his hull value. that doesnt feel right when fighting kluth. as ICC im uncomfortable getting into range of any station even with an AD. also, automated repair means kluth technically dont need to field repair ships, whereas most UGTO and ICC fleets have at least 1. thats 1 very easy ship to kill versus a destroyer/cruiser/dreadnaught being fielded on the kluth side of a balanced fight.

Supposed to be ? I have to make more than 3 alphas on icc cruiser (same arc) with my krill to kill it . EAD toasts me with 2 alphas while in kluth cruiser.

Quote:

the kluth cloak is their principle defense. it allows their smaller ships to quickly disengage, and larger ships have a good chance of escaping with it. with perhaps the exception of stations its a pretty good chance a luth vessel will get away. this is especially true when kluth are taking turns decloaking: its easier for a fleet to focus fire on the visible kluth than try and track down one that isnt an immediate threat. this translates however into kluth repeatedly doing loops around and attacking, always with a higher hull value than where they were left off (sometimes dramatically in a short period of time, which is mystifiying). as ICC, it doesnt feel like we have very many options.

Seems you dont understand how pining works. You will ping the nearest enemy to your eccm point. Nearest means the most dangerous for you at that moment.

Quote:

A) if we sit at the planet at fire at incoming kluth ships it basically facilitates their tactic and we eventually lose. our shields dont seem to recharge as fast as their hull can be repaired. they have a sustained attack advantage against our supposed defensive advantage

Shields are slower than our hull? Now, ok ok got it , where is the camera?

Quote:

B) if we pursue disengaging and damaged kluth ships, we are opened up to fire from the next attack wave. it also strings our fleet out and makes everyone more vulnerable. it really isnt an option against a coordinated kluth attack.

If it is coordinated , you will be dead to pursue someone..If it isnt coordinated just pray there isnt someone hiding.

Quote:

C) ECCM pinging doesnt tell us who to target first and makes coordinating weapons fire very difficult. laying down tons of ECCM increases cloak time but not by a very large amount, kluth can compensate by speeding up their attack runs. beacons means sacrificing firepower on the field, so its not a very good trade in the short term. that and several ppl have reported beacons bugging out on them and not spawning when fired.

You are just out of your mind. ECCM acumulative effect is most annoying thing for us , and we wont attack anywhere with eccm fort unless there is no dico , or we have superior numbers.

Quote:

lastly, kluth have traditionally had much less energy than the other factions. this is still the case but as mentioned my siphon can fire repeatedly before having so little energy i need to leave; to the point that i can kill a dreadnaught and leave in an evenly matched firefight.

Sure you fire all your guns? Because siphon's energy is the worst in entire game.

Quote:

i DONT want to strip the kluth of the tactic im referring to above, as it is clearly their most effective and i personally enjoy doing it when i play kluth. its difficult to orchestrate and fun and effective, and i like it and i like seeing kluth use it. its frustrating on the receiving end but its obviously the best way to use cloak. HOWEVER, i DONT think its fair that it can continue nearly non-stop, with the defending force facing the problems i mentioned above. im doing my very best to be fair here. with that said,

So you got a few kills means kluth is op? I and many other mates play kluth more than any other lobby campers. What you say above totaly is blasphemy.

Quote:

i think ONE of the following needs to happen:

A) tweak kluth energy to be a bit lower, or make it recharge slower, so that kluth ships cant do a quick loop around and continue firing; make it so kluth ships have to spend as much time at rest as ICC and UGTO ships do after an intense fight. either that or decrease rest time for UGTO and ICC. UGTO spend most of their time repairing at planets, ICC spend a similar amount of time repairing and waiting for shields to recharge. the new rest mode for ICC shields is a boon to us when repairing but UGTO will still have a massive disadvantage, and it doesnt solve the active repairing problem happening in combat situations.

B) tweak kluth automated repair so that it doesnt have as much ammo. thus kluth ships actually need a resupply ship between fighting rounds in order to get back to fighting strength. automated repair becomes a temporary solution that will last a couple loops at best.

You got yourself a nice flame thread.GRATZ!

[ This Message was edited by: Pakhos on 2010-05-26 17:20 ]

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 17:38   
Righto, a 25% reduction sounds good.

Email Sens [R33]
Sensas
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 17:40   
Another "nerf Kluth ships so they are never fielded again"... Oh joy.

Siphon is the most energy hungry ship in the game, period, doing much more than shooting the SI's and your losing energy (this is, while moving, as we're always moving...). If you could keep in a fight with another dread, then that dread was afk, or attacking something else.

Removing back arc's of armour? There was a reason why your dreads even got that added, to make the ships even usable! Removing from some ships would make them completely underpowered and unfield-able due to point jumping their back arc, and laughing at the free pres. No cloak would save you from that.

We usually don't die, i agree with that, but thats down purely to the fact we work as a pack, we don't go in on suicidal attacks unintentionally, we let you make the mistakes. Remember, kluth is the vet faction, we know how to play, the question is, do you?

Edit; don't ever compare sag and scenario please, they are completely different situations, settings, and not to mention the scenario server rarely has a full set of decent players. Your usually attacking complete newbs who are like lambs to a slaughter to all 3 factions in scenario.
[ This Message was edited by: Sensas on 2010-05-26 17:42 ]

Lrd_Hunter
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 17:50   
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 16:34, Lark of Serenity wrote:
yes, im aware of the points you brought up. lets look at something else though

"we usally cloak when are armor go"

THAT is a problem.

So you are saying we should not cloak or what i mean ugto and icc armor reg is slower then ours but it is also stronger so yea are reg maybe higher but are armor is really really easy to kill off. One battle dread alpha can take out 80% of the armor plate and 9 times out of 10 it usally my front end so now i have to turn to keep from getting hit in the front. So now i am broad side and half my guns don't work so natrually i cloak i have no choice. If dev read this and decide to make us lose our rear armor then fine put more on the front seems like a fair trade.

Novacat
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 17:51   
Of course, the Krill is massively overpowered, but moving past that...

I see the problem is that the ICC are a long-range faction, but Kluth cloak combined with their intense short-range firepower quite easily hard-counter ICC ships, and ICC themselves can do almost nothing to counter this. Especially since missiles tend to self-destruct whenever a Kluth ship blinks off of scanners for even a second (making Cloak far more effective at countering missiles than even the ICC's Pulse shield). The UGTO are specialized towards shorter ranged encounters, and they seem to have no problems defeating the Kluth at all.

What could be done? I do not know. Perhaps a special ICC-only anti-cloak missile that can track Kluth even after they are cloaked. Of course, you still have to target the Kluth ship in order to fire the missiles (and thus the kluth ship has to be detected, either decloaked or pinged), but the missiles will not simply vanish as soon as you cloak.

[ This Message was edited by: Leopard on 2010-05-26 17:52 ]

Goto the website of Novacat
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-26 17:53   
I do see larks point, and its a valid one. Kluth can continue to attack even after taking massive damage, they just cloak and repair there armor and attack again.
Also during an attack your not going to pursue the half dead ship that just cloaked. Your going to hit the 2 krills that are FULL UP next instead of the just cloaked siphon.

The other thing I see is this, ICC has limited ammo for everything, Kluth do not. When ICC is defending something out in space we will run out of ammo long before we can defend the area or run off the luth. The reasoning I heard for ICC to no longer have unlimited ammo for its guns is so we can't continue to attack and pursue people. However both UGTO and Kluth have unlimited ammo for most of there guns (and Luth have unlimited for there core wep). Either ICC should get something back that has unlimited ammo and is energy based (e.g. the Ion Gun) OR the other two factions need to have ammo caps on there ships. UGTO and Kluth both have a nigh unlimited sustained attack power that ICC just CAN'T DO! Supply ships fix all that but just as Lark pointed out, there is an easy kill waiting to happen.

On the subject of Kluth having too much armor? There armor is fine but its that hull HP that was upped a little while back (dread/station) that gave them way too much staying power in a fight.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 18:07   
@star

Scale is a ship of beams and torpedos. Scarab is a ship of mines , trops and 3 psi cannons.. WE are limited as much as icc cruisers. There is no realy big difference. Kluth dreads mostly based on beams. Only krill isnt. If you are thinking having unlimited ammo for SI makes the game unbalanced, well i am game. Make the SI usage with limited ammo. It wont change anything for me.

About hull increase, well they had to increase of every faction dreads and station to make it even. Otherwise buffing ugto and icc hull would ruin kluth in dictored cases.

Sensas
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 18:08   
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 17:53, Starcommand of ICC wrote:
Either ICC should get something back that has unlimited ammo and is energy based (e.g. the Ion Gun) OR the other two factions need to have ammo caps on there ships. UGTO and Kluth both have a nigh unlimited sustained attack power that ICC just CAN'T DO! Supply ships fix all that but just as Lark pointed out, there is an easy kill waiting to happen.

On the subject of Kluth having too much armor? There armor is fine but its that hull HP that was upped a little while back (dread/station) that gave them way too much staying power in a fight.

I love how you want unlimited ammo back, considering you have a shield recharge in the next build, you want unlimited ammo too? You can't have both of them, otherwise you'd never be killed in numbers. Suppy's are suppose to be squishy, otherwise every ship might aswell get a reload back.

Kluth hull has to be high, our armour gets chewed up and spat out so fast its not really that remotely funny, attack a kluth that doesn't have ahr going when hulled and you'll win the fight without a bother. Nerfing the ahr would just make kluth even slower than the icc in the current build to return to a fight, kind of defeats the purpose of being an aggressive faction then.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 18:12   
Side note : Kluth cruisers spend 17 ahr points to repair 1% hull. When i am down to 10% hull , as you can see i need to repair 90% of my ships.

So this will make me need 1530 Ahr. Carefull here tho, a cruiser ship can carry 1000 ahr. Basicly , 1 ahr is spent every 1 second . So i am repairing 1% hull every 17 seconds... until here ok?

ok..

check this!!!

25.5 minutes to repair 90% of a cruiser with ahr

And a dread with single ahr spends 36 ahr for 1% , do the math!

[ This Message was edited by: Pakhos on 2010-05-26 18:18 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.026065 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR