No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +3.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Missile HELP!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Missile HELP!!!
Mr_Morton
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 07:31   
ok so ive been playin for 2weeks as icc i love the long range aspect of icc. I, however, cannot get the hang of missiles. Mine never seem to hit my target and they just seem very sucky...yet i see people in a missle dessy getting kill after kill...so i want to know first off are missiles any good...second how to use them to their fullest effect...andlaslty which missile is best to use...thank you for any help you can give me.

Note: this was written on an iphone...please excuse typos. Thank you!!!

Condemned
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 07:38   
Well, to start with, welcome to Dark Space!

There are more than 1 type of missile, if you are trying to shoot scouts/frigs with missiles and even some destroyers then you will have no avail as they track too slow (chase/predict movement), you shouldn't miss if you are aiming at cruisers/dreads/stations, I don't think lag can make missiles miss either.

Aim for the biggest ship you can, AR missiles for closer, IT for longer range.

Good luck! Hope you enjoy Dark Space!

Kangaroosteak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 08:30   
Just as Malevolence said, aim for the slowest, largest ship because they have trouble dodging missiles.

Goto the website of Kangaroosteak
Fatal Perihelion
Chief Marshal
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2010-05-26 11:49   
Also: If their are many enemy ships with point defense mode on
around your target, they will intercept your missiles with beams
before you hit.
The same with near enemy planets: if they have lots of defense bases
your missiles get intercepted.

AR missiles track better, but do less damage if i remind right.
So IT missiles suit better for larger static targets, doing more damage.
Then when you rank up to Admiral i think, you may use the improved
MK II versions of AR or IT. (Not sure if thats right, please correct me)

Sabbot dumbfire rockets look and sound cool, but they do very few damage,
to bad, i could hardly destroy a single Weapon Platform, with a
Missile Cruiser loaded full with Sabbots. If there is a thing needing a boost in this game, its the Sabot.
Then a Vice Admiral could use his MD for some fun close combat too.

Last but not least: if you fire alone your missiles are more likely to get intercepted of course. If you spam missiles next to some station for
example, you are more likely to get through.
[ This Message was edited by: perihelion on 2010-05-26 11:51 ]

Admiral Uhan
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 12:02   
Here is a tip to avoid IT missiles just slow down and deativate any running
sig increasers

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-05-26 14:28   
yeah sabots are useless as they are now. too slow and too little damage.

but yes, missiles...

as said ARs track better than ITs. you will also eventually get access to PCMs, which are slower and poorer tracking than ITs but pack a punch. to get them to hit you should launch them first, wait a second, then launch your ITs: the ITs will take any PD hits and the PCMs will hit the target.

part of hitting a target is positioning. at longer range your missiles wont be in their firing arc, they will have settled into a straight line, and have a better chance of hitting. you can also try turning your ship to an angle to get some of your missiles to settle into a straight line faster. smaller ships can usually dodge a majority of the missiles though so its best to pay them little attention.

the major problem with missiles and fighters is that if the ship goes to 0 or less sig (kluth cloak or ECM) the missiles explode instead of continuing to track. its really annoying since other ships at least get their cannons and torpedoes out. anyways, if youre shooting at a station or stationary target you can get around this by ctrl-clicking behind them and shooting there. the missiles will impact their hull before reaching the point in space and wont explode when they cloak/go under ECM cover.

generally though if youre fighting kluth dont bother with missiles. this is unfortunate because its ICCs strongest play, and we are especially vulnerable to kluth, so its kind of a double handicap when we are fighting them. the best counter i can give is fly ships smaller than whatever kluth is fielding, since kluth generally cant shoot behind them so superior manoeuvarability means kluth cant do much about you. the other day i nearly killed a luth destroyer in a scout because he couldnt turn around fast enough to shoot me.

Mr_Morton
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 21:24   
Thanks so much for the quick replies! i have a couple of more questions thoigh. For a missle veesel are active or reactive shields better? And should there be an ecm...eecm...or the sensor thingy?? Thanks for the help!!

Mr_Morton
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 21:29   
Thanks so much for the quick replies! i have a couple of more questions thoigh. For a missle veesel are active or reactive shields better? And should there be an ecm...eecm...or the sensor thingy?? Thanks for the help!!

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 21:37   
Unfortunately, ECM and ECCM in DS do not work the way their real-life counterparts do.....

IRL, ECM works to jam radar, but announces your presence to the entire world. After all, everyone will know something's up when their screens turn to hash.

And ECCM ... or EPM, is a counter to ECM.... to burn thru the jamming by various techniques.

In DS.... well... ECM works more like a stealth coating, to reduce your signature.

While ECCM is a bit more accurate, in that it acts like a rudimentary radar booster to counter sig reduction.

It's flawed, but it's the game. :-3

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-05-26 21:39 ]

Kangaroosteak
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 21:38   
For the active and reactive shields, the reactive ones (If i remember correctly) have a lot less shield than the active shield, but save lots of energy and recharges 3 times faster, so it's your choise on which ones to use.

For the sensors, the eccm is great vs kluth, being able to cancel out their cloak for a small amount of time, the scanners is good for bombing planets or finding super long range targets, and ecm is good for long range peple who like to shoot without being seen.

Goto the website of Kangaroosteak
Mr_Morton
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 22:00   
Dang talk about fast replies...thanks again...but i just saw a guide that said missles suck 0.0 can this be true!!!

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 22:22   

Missiles currently SD when they lose lock on their target.

Maybe what could be changed is that missiles either

1) Continue to the target's last known location and SD there
2) Continue to the last known location and circle, trying to reacquire

Coding could be tough for option 2, though.

Jamesbond
Grand Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-27 00:22   
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 22:00, Mr_Morton wrote:
Dang talk about fast replies...thanks again...but i just saw a guide that said missles suck 0.0 can this be true!!!

A single dessie/cruiser ship with missles doesnt do that much damage to ships overall but when you have icc sitting in 2-3 missle dreads and a station, all shooting tons of it missles they are very very very very powerful. So do not believe that guide lol

Email Jamesbond
Fatal Command (CO)
Marshal
Fatal Squadron

From: over here in New York noticing some ppl are like canoes.....they need to be paddled.
Posted: 2010-05-27 04:56   
dont forget...ITs do some nice aoe damage as well...target close to the luthie (preferably behind em if they stationary..in front if they are moving)...fire...wait til the missles in range and then detonate em and wala...splash damaged enemy,same with fast movers...wait til missles are on em and detonate em..3-5 salvos will make any scout.frig/dessie move away.

Email Fatal Command (CO)
Mr_Morton
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-27 06:33   
That is an awesome trick with the detonations!! Thank you all for the help and the ridiculosly fast replies.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.024222 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR