No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +6.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Sir Oblivion {C?}

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Ship's Detection Range
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Ship's Detection Range
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-25 21:47   
i has a Question

Whats the range can you spot a Dread, saying hes at 0 Sig, and how much GU does it changes Per sig point added?

i also assumed a Dread evne thou his sig is way far in the minus, Hes still targetable on the same range as if he was 0 sig right?
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Mersenne Twister
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-25 23:10   
that should be fairly easy to test

I wouldn't screw with it if I were you. The doctor already holds you in poor favor. Messing with this might really fry his shorts.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-26 00:06   
normal sig of a ship will allow you to detect at full 5k gu max range, the lower the sig the smaller the range gets. It also depends if you are using any ECCM or Scanners as well, as these help in that and it also depends if the enemy ship is using any ECM to cover its sig. You can't see a ship (no scanner no ECCM) thats using 1 or 2 ECM, at 5k but you can see it at 3.5k (if the ship is just using it to cover itself. There are a lot of variables to it but the 5k is normal if the sig is around 10+ (normal for most dreads) and if the enemy has an even higher sig (like massive beacons) you can see them at even farther ranges.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-05-26 00:09   
Every selectable thing in the game has a base detection range, which is modified by the ship hull modifiers. A scout has a base detection range of about 50 gus, and every bigger ship gets upto 100 gus added to it, except for stations which are spotted from 800 gus.

The list looks somewhat like this-

Scout:-50 gu
Frigate:-100 gu
Destroyer:-250 gu
Cruiser:-400 gu
Dreadnought:-600 gu
Station:-800 gu

Fighter:-30 gu
Missile(IT):-400 gu
Missile(AR):-200 gu
Missile(ecm nearby):-0 gu
Bombs(no ecm):-300 gu
Boms(ecm):-25 gu
Mines(no ecm):-20 gu
Mines(ecm):-5 gu
Space resource debris(no scanner):-10 gu
Resource debris(scanner):-3000 gu
Planetary structures:-800 gu(bigger ships get a -100 modifier)

*Note, ship detection ranges by planets is somewhat different because they have different mechanisms for seeing ships.
*Note, the cruiser, dreadnought and bomb detection range is not tested by me, I have used values logical enough for them.
*Note, transporters and engineers have different level modifiers for seeing planet buildings, they have ranges of 225(approx.) and 400 gus, respectively.

A decently comprehensive guide to seeing what must be seen.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 09:33   
im asking cuz i wa sonce amazed to be locked at 4000 GU even when i had -12 sig in a dread, so i tought theres a minimum range where even ECM can't hide you in for dread

i'd test it, its just not as simple to get exactly 0 sig , but if anyone is interessted, i'd give it a try

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 10:42   
Negative signal DOESN'T mean you are invicible.

I will share some data. I have tested this in many ships and i came to conclusion. It is all effect if your enemy uses eccm or not . Scanner gives positive signal every object in the game expect ships.

Cruiser :
If you are a cruiser with a signal of <3 you wont be detected from 1.3k gu away. Activated 1 single eccm will effect your sig around 1-2 points depends on your velocity. A cruiser with -2.5 signal can be seen within 500gu even if there is no eccm running by enemy. With a -36 signal within 100 gu of enemy , you are still visible if there is one single of eccm running.

Dread :

You have to consider that dreads are big. Doesnt matter the how huge negative signal you can have dreads are always visible within 300 gu and can be targeted. With positive signal dreads are visible from 4890 gu away . Now the problem , if there is someone realy close to you , like 300 gu but you cant see it. For example a scout or frigate . You will be visible to him and so to all his faction doesnt matter the far you are from enemy missile launch point.

Scouts:

Scouts are visible to enemy within 50 gu distance doesnt matter the signal.

One thing you should consider is ECCM acumulatives effect. Normaly, 1 Eccm has a range of 1.5 k to effect your signal. Effect may change on hull size of a ship.

I tested with kluth cruiser scarab on a ugto sensor platform. ( i was runnnig 2 ecm)

I set my speed to 4gu/s from 2000 gu away.

I had a signal of -2.4 until i reached to 1.5k distance from the plat.

Then gained .1 signal for every 20 gu close in from 1.5k distance.

Then I decided to make same test against alot of ugtos. Where there were 5 sensor plats and 3 ugto dreads and a few cruisers and the planet itself with 3 eccm running.(all running eccm)

I set the speed to 4 gu/s. Started my run from a bit further. When i was at 1.8k gu from the nearest eccm spot , i started to gain .2 signal for every 20 gu close in. When i was at 1k gu from the nearest eccm point my ship had 38 signal. At 800 gu from the planet (like 600 gu from the plats) I had 52 signal ,then i had to speed up to MAXto not get killed.When i reached the 200 gu from the planet i had 126 signal.

Admiral Uhan
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 11:45   
The AR missle dectect range can some times be only 40 gu

Admiral Uhan
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 11:48   
Also the scouts dectect range when its running about 12 velocity and all of
its ecms active can only be in visual range which is about 70-80 gu

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 12:29   
Pak, you are Off the Subject

I KNOW the ship don't Become Invisible, and THATS not what im talking about. Its the Targeting, you know? the red Diamond that you click to pew pew easily?

Now im asking the detection range a dread can be targeted at 0 sig by, say another dread, i don't care about the scouts, and i never said should there be a small scout next to it, Im talkign about at what range a dread can lock another dread at 0 sig, and hom much that range changes per added/reduced Sig points

like is it 100 Gu per 1 sig?

you say 4890gu Far if is at 0 sig or 300GU (wich makes no sense)? That is ALL i need to know, i don't want a rundown of if affected by ECCM or ECM or anythign of that Sort.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 13:38   
No u should understand that , there is no way to be seen with -12 from 4k gu away . So there must be some scout around you within 300 gu or something , so thats how did they target you.

And yes , hijacked your thread

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 21:21   
well im telling you, i got seen and now there was no scout, i wa sin the middle of nowhere for cris sake, and it happen 2 times, theres not jsut a random scout in the middle of nowhere by chance 2 time in a row

so will you Answer the Dam question already? or Admit it! you don't Freaking Know!

Jack gimme a hand to not have this thread Hijacked please?

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-05-26 21:54   
IIRC, minus hull effects 1.0 of sig = 500gu detection range. It doesn't appear to have changed in the years I've been away, mentally I use that in a fight and it still works out. Cruisers on down there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference at ICC combat ranges. Dreads on up I know are visible for longer distances to start with but I'm not sure what the hull modifiers are.

Email Antra
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 22:07   

TBH, sometimes as I'm jumping around or simply flying around, I pickup the odd enemy ship somewhere out there. Don't know how, but I just do.

Maybe it's one of those AI trannies or supps flying around that pick you guys up?

I hear the blooping tone, I hit E, and F2 to catch its location before it fades.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-26 22:10   
dam Ai killing the point of scouting and hidding

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-26 22:18   
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 22:10, Zero28 wrote:
dam Ai killing the point of scouting and hidding

It happens you know.

I could be in R33, and suddenly pick up ICC in BD or Luyten for a moment.

Yup.... my AI tranny making their runs in the area tagged them.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022435 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR