No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Autopilot and Waypoints
 Author Autopilot and Waypoints
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-17 22:19   
Been wondering.

We're missing something in our Navigation. Right now, we're able to set a destination as a target, and then jump to it, follow it, or in the case of a ship.... shadow it.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could set nav waypoints and then have your autopilot set to follow it? You could then focus on other things like targetting and shooting, checking out the tac situation, or just sit in your captain's chair and sip tea while listening to some opera, while the helm takes over. Flight sims have them, maybe our ships should too.

Just my suggestion. Enhance the features in F2 Tactical.

Besides setting waypoints, you could also define the mode of travel between waypoints.... to go sublight or FTL.

Perhaps we could also disconnect the speed control from the autopilot. Right now, when you target a point in space and set follow, the ship goes to full speed. Under autopilot, the ship should allow the pilot to set the speed (or follow the current settings).

- Add up to 10 waypoints
- To be set sequentially
- Each of them can be editted on the fly by means of click/drag
- Define whether the path between each of those waypoints is traversed via normal sublight drive or by jumping
- For jump waypoints, if the JD is still charging, then the ship will act as per normal now. Continue to head towards the target at max speed till the JD is charged up, then jump.

Just wondering what you guys think of this.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-05-17 22:21 ]

Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-17 22:24   
I dunno. It sounds nice but also sounds like a reason to get lazy with the ship controls.

It would take too long to set for any use in combat i think. You wouldn't want to be on autopilot anyways as we all know just how accurate it is. We can already do all of that without the autopilot. And personally the slacker in me would take this at the drop of a hat. Something about being forced to command the ship at all times save being AFK or something keeps me on edge, makes me pay attention to whats going on and I know I benefit from it.

That's just me though i think.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-17 22:26   
nice idea, but auto pilot will already do much of this. It will jump thru gates. It will avoid dictor fields (mostly) and avoid planets most of the time.

Waypoints would be nice for doing a series of specific jumps tho, and it would be nice to have. Not a pressing issue, by any means, but it would be nice.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-17 22:27   
Quote:

On 2010-05-17 22:24, Ian9018's Ghost wrote:
I dunno. It sounds nice but also sounds like a reason to get lazy with the ship controls.

It would take too long to set for any use in combat i think. You wouldn't want to be on autopilot anyways as we all know just how accurate it is. We can already do all of that without the autopilot. And personally the slacker in me would take this at the drop of a hat. Something about being forced to command the ship at all times save being AFK or something keeps me on edge, makes me pay attention to whats going on and I know I benefit from it.

That's just me though i think.

It's an option. Of course it won't be used in actual combat. It could be used in fleet movements too. Lead ship sets the waypoint, his fleet targets him and set to shadow. And the entire fleet is on the move to a rallying or attack point.

I can think of a few uses for it right now in an attack or retreat situation.

Rebellion
Marshal
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-05-17 22:28   
YES YES YES i want to see this almost as much the MV going back into one big system and the grouping!!! put it in!

[ This Message was edited by: Fleet Admiral CRAZY45 on 2010-05-17 22:29 ]

\"War does not decide who is right, but who is left\"
\"I stopped fighting my inner demons we're on the same side now\"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-17 22:30   
Quote:

On 2010-05-17 22:26, Azreal wrote:
nice idea, but auto pilot will already do much of this. It will jump thru gates. It will avoid dictor fields (mostly) and avoid planets most of the time.

Waypoints would be nice for doing a series of specific jumps tho, and it would be nice to have. Not a pressing issue, by any means, but it would be nice.

Yes I know the current autopilot already does all that. But it only has one mode, and that is to head straight for your target at max speed. Or, if the distance is great enough, jump there first, then head to max speed.

What I'm proposing is for waypoints to interact and give the autopilot more operating modes. Like sublight and jump travel.

OK, I can share an idea already.

Planetary assault.

Let's say you were about to assault a planet. The plats and ships are on the far side. You could set a way point to jump on one side of the planet, and then a series of shorter waypoints for your ship to swing around the planet in a wide arc.

As the ship does this, you can focus your attention on selecting and attacking targets orbitting the planet.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-05-18 00:36 ]

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-19 12:07   
but everyjump gives you prestige and imagine everyone setting way points before they go to sleep

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-19 23:11   
Quote:

On 2010-05-19 12:07, Pakhos wrote:
but everyjump gives you prestige and imagine everyone setting way points before they go to sleep

Jumping gives you prestige? LOL. You sure abt that?

Maybe the 10 waypoint limit will be a good thing then.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-05-20 08:33   
You only get .1 press per jump....

Email -Shadowalker-™
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-20 20:47   
Quote:

On 2010-05-20 08:33, -Shadowalker-™ wrote:
You only get .1 press per jump....

Ahh. That's good.

So the benefits of a waypoint system outweigh the potential exploits that come with it.

Page created in 0.198670 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR