No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Ship customization
 Author Ship customization
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-14 02:22   

I've read somewhere that complete customization of ships.... i.e. weapon slots, equipment slots... was removed some time back due to balancing or some other issues.

Right now, I can see that projectile weap slots can be replaced with other equivalent proj weap slots, and similarly beam slots with beam weaps. This is fine, except that some ships may not be able to swap out any weaps at all since a weap of that class may not have any other equivalent or equal.

Perhaps weapons fixtures on ships can be implemented like the Omnimechs in the Battletech universe. Can't remember the last BT game I played... I think it was MechWarrior 4, where you could customize your mech's loadout.

Each slot had a max weight/size. And the mech as a whole also had a max weight loadout that it could handle.

To put in example.

Let's say this particular ship has 10 weapon slots.
- Slots 1 to 5 are light emplacements and can take a max of 10 weight units each.
- Slots 6 to 10 are heavies and can take max 15 weight units each.

If you max it out, all the slots can take up to 50 + 75 ... or 125 weight units.

- But the ship's chassis can only support it up to max weight 100 units.

So players will have to do a bit of compromise their loadouts, as you obviously can't max out every weapon.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-21 09:07   
I suggested this a while back, and got nothing because the devs are too scared to do the old customization system again because someone somewhere would figure out an exploit. It was a free modding system based on the old system but with limits in place, much like how wight limits would come in each ship would have a X limit on X wep type.

I also come up with a point based system too so each wep costs X points to put on your ship, and your ship would have X total points that could be spent. Also you could take weps and add one more arc to it for another point. This would of been within reason based on its location on the ship.

All those ideas were shot down because a "free modding" system is difficult to balance, but in reality its not. Yes there would be extremes to each set build BUT those extremes would come with there own issues. If I put all cannons on my ship I would have no point defense to shoot missiles or fighters down, also I would have massive energy drain and would only be able to shoot for a few seconds.

However I do like that idea thats based on the Mechwarrior 4 layout.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-21 09:34   

Besides weap loadouts, I earlier suggested somewhere whether ships could have:

1) personal decals
2) fleet decals
3) ship name

just some superficial touches, affects only textures. But it's a 'feel good' kinda thing that's priceless.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-21 21:50   
Quote:

On 2010-05-21 09:34, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Besides weap loadouts, I earlier suggested somewhere whether ships could have:

1) personal decals
2) fleet decals
3) ship name

just some superficial touches, affects only textures. But it's a 'feel good' kinda thing that's priceless.

I know and I would LOVE to have that, each fleet has a set of decals on there ships as well as fleet colors to there ships armor, just a hue. So for example, on an ICC ship all that gray armor would have a orange tint to it or whatever color is chosen from the color pallet.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

Email Starcommander
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-22 05:16   
Quote:

On 2010-05-14 02:22, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

I've read somewhere that complete customization of ships.... i.e. weapon slots, equipment slots... was removed some time back due to balancing or some other issues.

Right now, I can see that projectile weap slots can be replaced with other equivalent proj weap slots, and similarly beam slots with beam weaps. This is fine, except that some ships may not be able to swap out any weaps at all since a weap of that class may not have any other equivalent or equal.

Perhaps weapons fixtures on ships can be implemented like the Omnimechs in the Battletech universe. Can't remember the last BT game I played... I think it was MechWarrior 4, where you could customize your mech's loadout.

Each slot had a max weight/size. And the mech as a whole also had a max weight loadout that it could handle.

To put in example.

Let's say this particular ship has 10 weapon slots.
- Slots 1 to 5 are light emplacements and can take a max of 10 weight units each.
- Slots 6 to 10 are heavies and can take max 15 weight units each.

If you max it out, all the slots can take up to 50 + 75 ... or 125 weight units.

- But the ship's chassis can only support it up to max weight 100 units.

So players will have to do a bit of compromise their loadouts, as you obviously can't max out every weapon.

we had free modding like that in other versions made the game outta balance. a good example was the icc's ED the ship had shields of a dred, the fire power of a scale, with the speed of a dessie. that ship would take a full fleet to kill just one. since then the devs of this fixed it so only beams can be replaced with beams of the same type, and same with cannons and torps. which brought the game closer to being balanced.

Email Borgie
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-22 08:59   
Borgie, it was an easy fix for that ship, (I know because I suggested it back then too since I loved flying that little ship). You put in hard cap limits of certain weapons. So the ED was really OP with all that, simple then you just hard limit in the amount of cannons that ship can have. Somehow tho those words fell upon deaf ears and we wound up with this thing called 1.5 thats nothing like the game we all knew.

Email Starcommander
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-23 13:53   
We don't want to have to put a whole string of conditions on each ship based on potentially imbalanced combinations of weapons, as it somewhat undermines the point of modding as well as makes more work for us. The new theory is that we try to provide ships that actually are useful and have a role out of the box, so modding is less necessary.

Plus, from a realism point of view, shipyards aren't going to call up every captain and admiral and ask how they want to build their ship. They'll design a standard for each hull and then roll those off the assembly lines. And then--like now--it's possible to swap out air-to-air missiles for air-to-ground, or whatever, but not swap out everything.

Email Shigernafy
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-05-24 20:13   
@Shig,

What i dont understand is almost every ships on ds ,from all 3 faction, same class ship has same class of weapons with different tech.
For example(beta) assault type of frigates , 3 cannons , 2 torps ,2 beams, same cargo hold etc..

Like AC ,TC,Scale

For example SCBs and colony : 3 heavy beams, 4 core weapons , 8 fighters,etc...

So how do you suppose to fit factions in their ideal play style?

This situation makes the game to push people to use a few unique ships more than others. Like most of kluth cruisers are scarabs, and most of the dreads are krill.

I think the only ship that fits into kluth play style is ultimate worker. Seriously it is unique as supply. Can carry 3 sensor device and 3 cannons 2 toprs and 2 beams make it agresive and thats what kluth should be like.

Page created in 0.016599 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR