No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/11/24 +5.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

15th - Rise

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Beta Testing Discussion » » a small missle issue
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author a small missle issue
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 07:08   
Im curious why it is that forward facing missles seem to shoot from the rear or sides of the ship, arc way out, and then head for the target. This is a logistical mistake.

Is there a particular reason they fire that way?

Can it be made so that forward firing missles just shoot forward? If they must arc, can it be over and under?

The reason should be clear. Missle ships sitting close to one another must either not fire the friendly side racks or risk ff. This cuts down on the effectiveness of the ships. A stagger formation works ok, but its not really ideal. The farther, for example, two Gangs get from each other, they lose their ecm and pd support. Overall, it causes a disruption within a formation, and basically its for a reason I cant grasp: Why do forward firing missles seem to come out of my ears or rear?

Can this be fixed please?

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-05-10 07:28   
Quote:
On 2010-05-10 07:08, Azreal wrote:
Im curious why it is that forward facing missles seem to shoot from the rear or sides of the ship, arc way out, and then head for the target. This is a logistical mistake.

If you look at the location of the gadgets you will notice that there placed a lot more forward then where the missile spawns. This is because it takes time from Spacebar to Spawn, (not much, less then a second)during this time you will have moved and the missile will spawn behind the ship..

But on the other subject, i to am sometimes wondering at the location and firing angle of the missiles. But hopefully with the new missile's coming, (ya i know i say it to much) we will look at them, and place + angle them more optimal.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 08:39   
Cd is just same, you have to broadside to fire missiles, yet the missiles fire from the front hitting whatever planet/ally that is in front of your ship
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 08:39   
i think its a desync-problem

it happend to me when i stay still in one place and but turn my ship
the missles shoot in the original-direction (while it is still in their original target-arc) or dont fire at all (outside the original arc)

a resolution is move a little bit forward (~1gu should do it)

but the good thing is: you can shoot missles around something

[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2010-05-10 09:04 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 10:33   
no, it isnt a desynch issue.

Look at the Clavate. Its missles will fire to the side every single time. Moving, standing still, being hit, under ecm or not, good connection or not. They are designed or located on the ship in such a way that that is simply how they fire.

The shock missles on the Gang are same way, as are most of the other missle tubes. They fire sideways before going straight, straffing the friendly to my flank.

Im not speaking of a bug or desynch. This is in the gadget location and behavior.

NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 17:49   
i thought you ment the bug

i like this behaviour
it is difficult in the beginning, but once you get used to it, you can make some interesting maneuvers
for example shooting missles around another player (stations) or planets
in a missle-dread, i show the enemy my flank (protected by another dread/station and dire only one side of my missles(around the friendly ships)

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 18:00   
the way the missile fires is directly related to the gadgets orientation in the resourcer, unfortunately the game doesnt render the actual gadget on the ship, but if it did you would see that the "turrets" launching them would be consistant with the missile's initial orientation.

Check this image for an example:
http://server0.jbud.org/img/78explain.png

The way these are aligned are carefully considered by the developers, and are tuned to balance.

Another example of this is the Combat Dreadnough on ICC, the ship is long, and broadside, the missiles are usable from the side arcs, but they fire forward. I believe the reason is to keep it as a long ranged usage, because if they fired directly in that direction, lowrange accuracy suddenly gets extremely high.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2010-05-10 18:11 ]

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 19:51   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 18:00, JBud wrote:

Another example of this is the Combat Dreadnought on ICC, the ship is long, and broadside, the missiles are usable from the side arcs, but they fire forward. I believe the reason is to keep it as a long ranged usage, because if they fired directly in that direction, lowrange accuracy suddenly gets extremely high.

Which is kinda stupid, as over 70% of the game is fought inside the curve arc of an IT or AR missile. That and the missiles are USELESS on such a ship like the Combat Dread.

This issue is also on the SS's of all 3 factions, when ships get inside about 250gu but are not inside the minimum range of missiles, 175gu, you do fire them but they miss because of the firing arc.

If missiles not only fired where they were pointed on the ship, but also hit what they were fired at. There would be less lag on the server due to missed missiles flying around in circles doing nothing and thus freeing up more server resources.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 22:28   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 19:51, Starcommand of ICC wrote:

Which is kinda stupid, as over 70% of the game is fought inside the curve arc of an IT or AR missile.

Where the game is fought != Where it's ment to be fought

if you properly coordinate your ship they will work as intended, remember that ICC have best advantages at high range.

Fox McCloud
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 22:56   
Missiles should be able to fire on all arcs no matter the facing of you or the enemy imo.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 23:02   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 22:56, Fox McCloud wrote:
Missiles should be able to fire on all arcs no matter the facing of you or the enemy imo.

I agree, the only modifier should be the orientations, every missile should be full arc as per their maneuverability, its silly they have arcs in the first place

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 23:04   
again, u are missing the point. He is stating something that annoys me to no end.

I have a ship in my sights. I launch my ordinance. The missles sling out to the left and right, CIRCLING IN AN ARC back at the target. By the time they arrive they arrive too late, and the missles will circle around continueing to miss, unless the pilot pds them or they actually run into them. The arc of the missle path forces the damn things to miss, thus making them useless more than half the time when engaging an approaching enemy, and within their INTENDED range.

The issue is how they launch from the ship initially.

And I dont think that doing that to tweak their accuracy, if that is why it is done, is a good option. Its illogical, visually distracting, and cuts down - way down - on their effectiveness.

Nobody has stated THIS IS WHY IT DOES THIS, so I am still really wanting to know if somebody could tell me.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 23:15   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 23:04, Azreal wrote:

Nobody has stated THIS IS WHY IT DOES THIS, so I am still really wanting to know if somebody could tell me.

It's just the way they were engineered. The missiles launch at a predetermined orientation based on how the launcher was attached to the ship. Blame those damn ship engineers.

Fox McCloud
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-05-10 23:20   

edit ** strange happenings.. i only posted once.. i swear
[ This Message was edited by: Fox McCloud on 2010-05-11 02:53 ]

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-05-10 23:32   
Quote:

On 2010-05-10 23:20, Fox McCloud wrote:

we saw your first post.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.203285 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR