Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » [Suggestion]Faction Commander
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author [Suggestion]Faction Commander
Chewy Squirrel
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-25 19:53   
Most veteran DS players agree that one of the primary problems with the game currently is the lack of leadership among the three factions. In the rare occasion somebody attempts to lead, they are usually ignored or only followed by a minority of the players on the faction. While there is no easy way to solve this problem- human behavior, being what it is- there is a way to help alleviate it. By designating one player per faction as the "Faction Commander" everyone will have a single person to look to for orders, and this person will possess some air of authority. New players will know who to listen to as they would not normally know who the faction "veterans" are, and all players will have a single person to rally around.

The "powers" of the Faction Commander: The Faction Commander would have no special game-affected powers, just leadership ones which may include:
*Top of the list and special coloring in F2 screen
*Special colored/shaped marker in-game
*Special colored chat in faction chat
*Ability to place "markers" in F2 such as rally or attack points
*Ability to place players into "battle groups" which can then be talked to separately and eventually given orders separately

The mechanics of deciding the Faction Commander (Proposed):
Possibility A: The highest-ranking player online in each Faction is given the option of becoming the Faction Commander, if they decline the option goes to next highest-ranking person and so on. Once somebody accepts they are the Faction Commander until they log off, or (possibly) a certain time elapses.(at which point the process repeats)

Possibility B: The top 5 highest-ranking people online on each faction are placed on a ballot which is then sent to all the players on that faction. The Faction Commander is chosen by a majority vote and is the Faction Commander until they log off. (at which point another ballot is started)

While it is human behavior to act like ?*??&$^#s and not help the faction, it is also human behavior to listen to an authority figure-, which is what this mechanic would create. The Faction Commander would create a leadership structure supported by an ingame mechanic which would make leading new and old players alike much easier.

Aeraesoria
Admiral
Synchronicity

Posted: 2010-04-25 20:20   
Hmmm this reminds me of Ace Online a bit when each faction would choose it's leader and also vice leader.

It would also change monthly... though in our case... since we have a number issue of close to around 5k ppl playing maybe it should be a leader who is chosen weekly or biweekly instead of just the day. If the leader isn't on during a few days that's what a sub faction commander is for.

so basically if the top 5 and most active players in that faction are put on a ballot to make Faction Commander the other 4 guys will then become sub faction commanders under the chosen leader in case the leader is absent or isn't around... cause come on... who wants to do a ballot everyday for a leader? it's better to do it weekly or biweekly.

Also the Faction leader with 4 other sub leaders would be more realistic because not everyone can devote all of their time to the game 24/7

In the case of rank... that may depend... even if we have some high rank members on doesn't make them a good leader. Those who should be chosen are the ppl who have managed to rouse their factions into actually doing something and managed to get people too follow orders and do stuff in the game during attacks/invasions or defending their space
[ This Message was edited by: Aeraesoria on 2010-04-25 20:22 ]

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-25 20:31   
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 20:20, Aeraesoria wrote:who wants to do a ballot everyday for a leader? it's better to do it weekly or biweekly.

There are plenty of times where I can log on and the top five highest ranking/most active members of a faction aren't online.
A long term commander wouldn't work.

You wouldn't need to have a commander on all the time, I figure if there are enough people on a server and they want to elect a commander any person would be able to start a ballot and it would go through to process, picking a commander for the next 2-3 hours.

Plus if you have a commander for the week that is going to paint a big target on that persons back.

Sinister Strawberry
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-25 20:37   
good idea if the commander is voted on every 2 hours.

Aeraesoria
Admiral
Synchronicity

Posted: 2010-04-25 20:42   
mmm just tossing out ideas after all to help improve an idea that might work if its ever implimented

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-25 21:12   
Quote:

On 2010-04-25 19:53, Chewy Squirrel {om nom nom nom nom} wrote:

The "powers" of the Faction Commander: The Faction Commander would have no special game-affected powers, just leadership ones which may include:
*Top of the list and special coloring in F2 screen
*Special colored/shaped marker in-game
*Special colored chat in faction chat
*Ability to place players into "battle groups" which can then be talked to separately and eventually given orders separately

Sounds interesting.

I'm not really interested in the mechanics of how the FacComm is voted or selected, but I am interested in the scope of his powers or abilities.

I like these:

It gives directions and a sense of purpose to the faction.

(It's like a leaf from the bible of Battlefield 2. In BF2, the commander has the ability to direct the teams and groups where to go from his special map. He also has access to special functions like artillery, Satellite scans, and UAV support.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that Fleet Leaders/Comms should have this tool too. Who are the Fleet Comms? Well, they are the respective admins of each fleet.

I propose that the FacComm should also be able to command a limited array of AI ships too. I still vote that AI Engies be removed from the game as they're abso-Effin-lutely useless.

AI supps can be given directions by the FacComm. Ditto AI Trannies, if the FacComm chooses to direct them to cap planets.

FacComm should also be able to direct a limited number of AI combat ships up to Dess class to a certain area (but not who to attack). We don't need micromanagement.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-26 03:17   
Hopefully will be a part of the command interface.
If you are in a Command class ship. (Command dread or Command station) you will be able to preform functions like, Creating missions and or giving orders, setting rally points and provide team area effect bonuses.

Dunno about voting, but any commander on site has the authority when they want to take it. But players have the freedom to pick if they want to follow the orders or not. So i guess its balanced on its own.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-26 03:41   
Quote:

On 2010-04-26 03:17, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
Hopefully will be a part of the command interface.
If you are in a Command class ship. (Command dread or Command station) you will be able to preform functions like, Creating missions and or giving orders, setting rally points and provide team area effect bonuses.

Dunno about voting, but any commander on site has the authority when they want to take it. But players have the freedom to pick if they want to follow the orders or not. So i guess its balanced on its own.

Yeah. Also a good idea. Attach it to a command ship.

But tell me one thing Ele, currently what separates the Command ships from the rest of the ships of their class?

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-26 13:22   
A big giant red target on its back? Its attempt at the good ol 'jack of all trades, master of none' axiom? Hmm.

Back to the idea! I like it. Really, I do, I think it would help get people into a more organized group instead of a mob. After all, a good chunk of the people in the world now operate democratically, so the voting should come naturally right? lol

I can picture it now... darkspace election night..

VOTE FOR THE V!

Crim
Fleet Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2010-04-27 01:27   
Quote:

On 2010-04-26 13:22, Veronw wrote:
A big giant red target on its back? Its attempt at the good ol 'jack of all trades, master of none' axiom? Hmm.

Back to the idea! I like it. Really, I do, I think it would help get people into a more organized group instead of a mob. After all, a good chunk of the people in the world now operate democratically, so the voting should come naturally right? lol

I can picture it now... darkspace election night..

VOTE FOR THE V!

Tough cookies. If there was something like this, I'd have to run and since I'm so darn awesome, I'd win it.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-27 02:31   
Quote:
On 2010-04-26 03:41, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-04-26 03:17, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
----

Yeah. Also a good idea. Attach it to a command ship.

But tell me one thing Ele, currently what separates the Command ships from the rest of the ships of their class?

The interface would be avalable to all players, just some ships will have use for it.
You got fighters in the air, they will show up and you would be able to give orders to them.
But if your a command ship you will have friendly players shown up. Idealy i would say in two forms, As groups and individual players.
Groups can be selected and orders to preform a couple mission at a time and these groups have there own advancements (depending on how grouping functionality is implimented). While indidual ships can receive orders, they can still decline them.

Whats the difference between a command ship and the rest of there classe, hmm good one. I'd say they have a build module and are of class Dread2 and station.
(yes we have two Dread classes, regular "dread" and the command & assault class the "dread2". EAD & Command Dreadnought are both Dread2)

In addition drafell was thinking of the AOE effect as either giving the command class ships a Command module, (actual Gadgets) that each have a different function. Or having enhancments to give the AOE function. Or in my oppinion i'd use a combination.
I am thinking of a Modules that each has a basic preformance and enhancments can *ahum* enhance its preformance.

But Currently all what has been discussed are just random toughts and idea's.
Only Drafell might have some real stuff on paper, and i haven't yet talked to him in a while..

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2010-04-27 11:15   
I think Darkspace would benefit from something like this. Let everyone vote at whoever is online at that time, give elected person the option to use /fc messagehere with a color that stands out, or perhaps even something like the moderators use, then with Fleet Com.
I must honestly admit, that in mid-fight, i really dont read any chat at all. Perhaps if someone /targets me, cause it stands out so well. No yell, no faction chat.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-27 11:19   
Maybe Make a way that once a Command dread dis out, its a New battle group, and player may join freely and leave freely or the command dread may put his group into invites only or boot those he don't want

anyway i don't know much about command interface, maybes its already like that, anyway hoping to see it soon
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-28 00:39   
Quote:

On 2010-04-27 02:31, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:

The interface would be avalable to all players, just some ships will have use for it.
You got fighters in the air, they will show up and you would be able to give orders to them.
But if your a command ship you will have friendly players shown up. Idealy i would say in two forms, As groups and individual players.
Groups can be selected and orders to preform a couple mission at a time and these groups have there own advancements (depending on how grouping functionality is implimented). While indidual ships can receive orders, they can still decline them.

Whats the difference between a command ship and the rest of there classe, hmm good one. I'd say they have a build module and are of class Dread2 and station.
(yes we have two Dread classes, regular "dread" and the command & assault class the "dread2". EAD & Command Dreadnought are both Dread2)

In addition drafell was thinking of the AOE effect as either giving the command class ships a Command module, (actual Gadgets) that each have a different function. Or having enhancments to give the AOE function. Or in my oppinion i'd use a combination.
I am thinking of a Modules that each has a basic preformance and enhancments can *ahum* enhance its preformance.

But Currently all what has been discussed are just random toughts and idea's.
Only Drafell might have some real stuff on paper, and i haven't yet talked to him in a while..

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

Quote:

On 2010-04-27 11:15, Sixkiller wrote:
I think Darkspace would benefit from something like this. Let everyone vote at whoever is online at that time, give elected person the option to use /fc messagehere with a color that stands out, or perhaps even something like the moderators use, then with Fleet Com.
I must honestly admit, that in mid-fight, i really dont read any chat at all. Perhaps if someone /targets me, cause it stands out so well. No yell, no faction chat.

Again, I'd advocate that you take a leaf from EA's Battlefield 2 for a Commander system.

Not copy it outright or duplicate it. I mean that you guys just have a look at it and perhaps draw some inspiration.

Everytime a round/map starts (equiv to a Scenario server map, but applicable anytime to the MV too), players get to vote a commander. System will prompt a player to vote from a list. You could perhaps offer them a list of ELIGIBLE players (determined by rank or whatever). And the players can decide to vote for, or opt out/ignore.

Once the commander is selected, he has a special screen that's basically an overhead map with all friendly units displayed.

Friendly units can actually go ahead and form "squads" or groups of their own. Max of 6 people per squad, with a squad commander.

The Commander can assign each squad commander a waypoint or enemy to attack/defend. The squad commander will then accept/decline, and go about his way. BTW, players can spawn on the squad commander too. That's a reason to keep the squad commander alive.

Commander also has the ability to call for Arty strikes, or UAV recon to reveal enemies around a limited area.

Just ideas that you can adopt.

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-30 05:14   
Combine the majority of the ideas.

Have all command ships be able to create/distribute missions, however there is a kicker. they have a 5k gu radius. meaning command flagships need to be protected or plan ahaid to send "minions" off on their own.

this allows multiple players with command class things to have a chance at being a commander, it gives reinforcement to teamwork, and allows fleets to designate fleet "commanders" who do just that.

ideally the command ships can set up a list of tasks they need finished and can have them listed in a mission list much like a npc quest list. so newbies know to go to command ships to pick up missions. This alone would allow commanders to keep specific areas for "training" ala the mycropia cluster with that lone pirate planet out in the distance, its perfect newbie hunting grounds with the command ship not to far from it. it "rebuilds" itself, and has constant ai presence near it.

sure you can go to ursa minor, but you dont have the ability to GET command ships there, so instead of implimenting a planetary building or something akin to that. have a simple device on the command class ships which takes no space and lets them order ai, set up a mission list and give orders to players with target beacons (target a point in space with controll, push "go here, attack here, defend here, wait here" and it gives a color coded icon (red = attack, blue = defend, green = move there, white = wait here)

Command stations have these two advantages, a larger possible "mission list" and a larger system wide command range. command dreads are for fleet command, ideally the station commands the dreads and they go about dealing with the issue as they see fit. the stations job would be to look at the big picture (and as a result its device would cause the nav map to update constantly like the good ol days) where as the command dreads order things around in the heat of battle, picking out targets, telling where they should go, when and why and so on.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.023047 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR