No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » New ship suggestion: AWAC/Radar Frig or Dess
 Author New ship suggestion: AWAC/Radar Frig or Dess
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-22 00:43   

I've an idea for a new class of ship. More useful for ICC and UGTO perhaps.

In modern naval n aerial warfare, one of the key assets is the AWAC aircraft. I'm talking abt aircraft like the IL76 Mainstay, E3 Sentry, E2 Hawkeye. They provide fleets with long range detection capabilities n C3.

I'm asking u guys, what if DS had a frig or des that carried a long range radar?
Call it the Radar Frig/Des.

Picture a light ship that has, like the Dictor Cruiser, part of it's weapons complement replaced by a heavy long range sensor suite.

When turned on, this radar will be able to detect uncloaked vessels up to 15000gus away.
Within an 8000gu range, all uncloaked vessels will be immediately detected n be shown on the faction's F2 Tactical. Between 8000 to 15000, detectability will gracefully degrade or fall off to zero.

How this could happen perhaps would be to add 300 to the signature of all ships within 8000 to make them immediately detectable, and then have the sig amplification taper off after 8000 to zero at 15000.

I dont know exactly how sig mechanics work in DS, but how this would affect Kluth would be to significantly slow down their cloak/decloak duration in a proportionately similar ratio to the detection range I specified above.

The downside to the AWAC vessel would that the moment its radar goes up, his own sig would go up so high that he would be detectable system wide. That plus a high energy consumption similar to the dictor.

How will this change gameplay?

Ships will find it more difficult to ejump and escape. Players shd begin to plan their escape route earlier.
Kluths will have to time their attacks more carefully as they will be more exposed.
ECM will now have to be deployed more strategically at range to hide fleet movements
The Radar ship will be a prime target and will have to be defended accordingly.
Being a fast destroyer or frig, dreads will have a hard time chasing this radar ship down. Most probably cruisers n lighter vessels will be deployed to pursue it. Hopefully we will see more light ships be used in the game as a result.

Page created in 0.004854 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR