No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.7 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Radar/Tactical display
 Author Radar/Tactical display
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-21 01:02   

OK, not really much improving ship A or weapon B. I think in terms of ships and weaps, or factions, I'm pretty satisfied with the balance as is.

I'm thinking user interface. How information is presented to you, the pilot, the gamer.

Radar Overlay
Right now, when you're flying hot in a huge furball, I can honestly say that most of the time, many of us are pretty disoriented.

How many times have you pressed TAB to put the viewer/perspective on your target.... and then BAM fly straight into a planet. Or suddenly get Alpha'ed by 3 dreads that you didn't notice was approaching you rapidly a minute ago?

Happens more to n00bs I suppose. And dang, it was frustrating, no?

So the more experience players would simply have a hand on their mice and pan the camera around pretty often. It gets sorta tiring after awhile and you're left wondering..... "Dammit!! This is a 23/24/25th century starship.... and I don't even have a doggone RADAR!!"

Yup. We need a translucent radar overlay.

You can implement it as a permanent fixture on the right/left/top of the screen.... or you can do it like a resizeable/moveable pop-up window (i.e. Enhancement/Missions/Profile). Make it toggleable on/off.

It WILL be a great help and be welcome by many. How to read the radar? Easy. Top-Down perspective with the bow of the ship facing the upwards.

Next:

How about split screen Tactical Display for players with multi-monitor set ups?

Eg: I could have my main game screen on my main 22" monitor, and have a smaller 17" or 19" as a secondary display. I could configure DS to put my F2 tactical permanently on my smaller secondary display.

Maybe if I had a third display similar to the secondary, I could put some other stuff on, like the chat screen or something?

That's food for thought.

Information is central to warfare. The more information you have, the bigger your advantage.

Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2010-04-21 21:50   
That would be a welcomed idea by many to have the idea of multi screen compatabiltiy. I've seen a few games that run like that, when in single screen mod its like the ds format but when in multi screen mode its a "command" section. Aswell as having a "radar" function on the 2nd screen I would also like to put foward the idea for having the engineering section to be able to be acessed from there, as when building a planet in that mode its a pain to have to keep flicking in and out of the view to make sure your safe from hostile ships

Quod nos non interficit, nos fortiores facitrnrn

Email Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-21 22:15   
would be nice, but then you could have an unfair advanatage to someone with out 2 monitors.

Email Borgie
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-21 22:48   
Quote:

On 2010-04-21 22:15, Fatal Borgie wrote:
would be nice, but then you could have an unfair advanatage to someone with out 2 monitors.

As mentioned at the other side, I'd prefer to see the radar out first, since it's the easier of the two to accomodate.

I understand that multi-monitor will probably take some time to implement. It's a huge undertaking. So I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Back to your argument, advantage due to hardware cannot be helped. Does that mean that those with Core i7s and ATI 5890s have an unfair advantage over those who're running on old Pentium 4s?

Advantage, Yes. Unfair, No.
But that can't be helped. It's the haves and have nots. That's just life.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-04-21 22:48 ]

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-22 10:07   
Quote:

On 2010-04-21 22:48, Kenny_Naboo wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-21 22:15, Fatal Borgie wrote:

As mentioned at the other side, I'd prefer to see the radar out first, since it's the easier of the two to accomodate.

I understand that multi-monitor will probably take some time to implement. It's a huge undertaking. So I'm not holding my breath for that one.

Back to your argument, advantage due to hardware cannot be helped. Does that mean that those with Core i7s and ATI 5890s have an unfair advantage over those who're running on old Pentium 4s?

Advantage, Yes. Unfair, No.
But that can't be helped. It's the haves and have nots. That's just life.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-04-21 22:48 ]

true it can't. but i think it would be unfair for people who don't have that ability to suport having extra tactical info on a different monitor.

Email Borgie
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-23 00:01   
The advantage won't be significant.... like for example, a wallhack in a shooter game.

You'll probably be more aware and have a better reaction time. But anyone who's adept at switching screens or panning their mice around will probably do fine too.

It's more of having ready access to your map/tac display, versus having to toggle your displays on a single monitor.

Page created in 0.009398 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR