Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Rescaling all ships in the game to proper proportions.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Rescaling all ships in the game to proper proportions.
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-04-12 18:58   
Quote:

On 2010-04-12 17:53, Jar Jar Binks wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-12 12:07, BackSlash wrote:
Hitboxes are based on mass, not model size.

thats gonna look pretty stupid tho with the resized ships having the old hitboxes.

just look at the MI station and dread for a prime example of to big hitbox for their sizes.

their hitboxes is almost 3 times the size of the ship, it just looks wrong.

Thats not caused by the model, thats caused by a device not being properly placed on it. Some devices dont show a location in the resourcer so if you dont manually put it to 0,0,0 you may have it sitting outside the hull.

The game looks at the Mesh and all devices, finds center of the "scene" and projects the hitbox based on that.

Devices like ECM, ECCM, Scanners dont show up in the resourcer with an easily recognized outline.

Email Tael
Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-12 19:15   
hey tael is that on your new carrier 1 of the fighters luanches a few cm's off the model?

Email Borgie
ssj4megaman
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-13 00:08   
Quote:

On 2010-04-12 16:27, ssj4megaman wrote:
So a luth dread has ALOT more mass than any other faction dread? Because our hitboxes are XBOX HUGE.... should't ugto have the biggest hitboxes with all that armor?

since it seems like my post was missed....

Email ssj4megaman
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-04-13 00:17   
The Carrier cruiser had that lone fighter fixed during the rescale of the fighters a couple of days ago... I just checked in beta and its right.

As for the K'luth, it was answered, Faustus stated mass does not effect hit box, and I explained that what happens is when the Dev's are laying out the ship devices there are a few items, sensors, scanners, anti-sensors, that dont show up in the resourcer with a "guide" placement box around it.

They dont see the red box and figure its fine and move one, but the item still has an X,Y,Z location. so they dont realize the device is sitting outside of the model.

What happens then is the game render engine sees the whole SCENE. which means if the ECM is sitting 5 to 10 gu to the front right, the center of the "scene" is then shifted 2.5 gu up an right. this then makes the armor rings extend out farther because they are encompassing a scene item you cant see.

We are fixing those as we go along with the rescaling (though dreads will need to be handled seperately as they are the scale the game is based off).

Another reason why Kluth dreads hit boxes are so big is because they are LARGER than the human dreads. They are about 5 to 10% longer which causes them to have a larger hit box.

Some of the changes to the scaling will actually make it harder for Dreads and stations to target smaller faster ships, especially kluth frigates and destroyers mid cloak. Its going to be tougher to point target shoot a cloaking or decloaking small kluth ship while the dreads will be ducks in a barrel.

Other size ships will have an easier time targeting like sized ships because you are zoomed in to that scale.

One class of ships that are slotted for a rescale but we probably wont do for the sake of game play are Stations, per the scale they should be double their current size. We most likely wont be doing that.

Email Tael
Jackal'
Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-13 01:44   
I think you should rescale the stations. It looks wierd to see a station that, if you added up all the surface space on the station, you'd get a dread. But somehow, it sports twice the weaponry? Then there's the fact that they're supposed to kind of be "easy" targets, easy to hit. It might take a little bit of armor tweaking to make them more "station like", make them bigger by all means.

Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2010-04-13 04:54   
Quote:

Quote:

On 2010-04-12 11:19, Sops wrote:
So are stations still going to be the size of a small moon?

On 2010-04-12 17:51, Fatal Borgie wrote:
thats no moon!

Thats a DEATHSTAR!

Quod nos non interficit, nos fortiores facitrnrn

Email Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-04-13 18:19   

Email Tael
Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-04-13 18:22   
Looks great! I'm all for station resizing, but I've never flown one -- just watched. Trust that you guys know best. Stations would be...a little easier to hit from extreme range, too.

Email Antra
ssj4megaman
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-14 01:10   
sure, make them bigger, but give them more armor to compensate everthing being able to hit them easier.

Email ssj4megaman
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-14 01:53   
Quote:

On 2010-04-14 01:10, ssj4megaman wrote:
sure, make them bigger, but give them more armor to compensate everything being able to hit them easier.

give them more armor now. Everything can hit them they have NO doge ability at all other then jumping. Everything and its mother can hit a station and they go down real fast to focus fire. Which isn't completely right as a station should be incredibly hard to kill even to focus fire. As the game increases its max rank the stations should follow along to keep there numbers down. So a SS at Marshall and the SCB and LS at Chief Marshall for example. This would cause rise for a new ship class or new design at grand admiral.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
ssj4megaman
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-14 02:19   
Quote:

On 2010-04-14 01:53, Fast Starcommand *CO* wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-14 01:10, ssj4megaman wrote:
sure, make them bigger, but give them more armor to compensate everything being able to hit them easier.

give them more armor now. Everything can hit them they have NO doge ability at all other then jumping. Everything and its mother can hit a station and they go down real fast to focus fire. Which isn't completely right as a station should be incredibly hard to kill even to focus fire. As the game increases its max rank the stations should follow along to keep there numbers down. So a SS at Marshall and the SCB and LS at Chief Marshall for example. This would cause rise for a new ship class or new design at grand admiral.

I actually agree with this 300 percent... i say hell double the armor on them.. or increase by rank... i mentioned this in another post, higher ranks should get additional either weaps, upgrades... etc.. kinda like they have access to experimental technology.... i mean a marshall or chief marshall should be like, R&D make me an improved tach drive or a device that makes missles track better, or improved armor which they can fit on their ships... to really convey their rank....

Fleet admiral can keep stations but there should be some good improvements for M or CM for the same platforms.

Email ssj4megaman
James 296
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-14 03:44   
a idea that may go along with this resizing, the bigger the k'luth ship the long it takes to cloak......just a idea

[ This Message was edited by: James296 on 2010-04-14 03:44 ]

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-04-18 15:49   
I play primarily ICC and I've noticed that the smaller ships are extremely difficult to hit now with missiles. I don't necessarily disagree with this, I just wish we already had the wondrous new missile types described in the dev log.

Email Antra
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-18 16:07   
Quote:

On 2010-04-14 03:44, James296 wrote:
a idea that may go along with this resizing, the bigger the k'luth ship the long it takes to cloak......just a idea

It's already like that.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-18 17:28   
I would rather see Marshals get an improved cruiser, you keep the speed and agility of a normal cruiser but with increased fire power.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.031999 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR