Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Collection of ideas for 'specials'
 Author Collection of ideas for 'specials'
Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-10 04:03   
We all know the infamous cloaking device and flux wave, but what about others?
>Note, this is not a "MUST ADD NOW" thing, this is purely for fun.<

This is a collection of ideas I have been thinking up for a while, regarding individual ships and how to make them more useful in defining rolls.

Three different types of specials, one you already know and already exists, they are as follows.

Faction global: All ships with the special device slot can use these, they are general faction devices like flux waves and pulse shields (cloak is another device altogether).

Class special: A special made for that ship class, can only be used by said class (corvettes get a special they all can use for instance)

Ship unique: Specific thing for just that one ship. agincort would have its own special and so would the md (most dreads would have a unique special)

These three types would be interchangeable between each other, a dreadnought could not have both a pulse shield and another device. they go in the same slot, so chose your poison. all specials save for the originals have a drawback to use. Some people may chose to use the originals as you can use them more often, or others may chose to use a special to better fit the playstyle

Now for a moderate list of what I have so far, now that you know what they are for.

first up, are the globals. >All globals have a two minute cooldown unless otherwise noted<
ICC:
Pulse shield, (you already know what this does.)

Shield charger, takes 50% energy to charge shields 50%. drawbacks, damages shield generators. (Damage % can be made "random" to make it seem like the device is overly straining the generators, you may get unlucky with a blown gen not charging at all)

UGTO:
Flux Wave, (again, you know what this does)

(this one is open for change.)Soldiers heartiness, Repairs 25% armor, drains 50% energy, similar drawbacks to the icc version however this one damages internal devices instead of shield generators.

Kluth:
Cloak (standard, these guys are on all kluth ships. some may get an ADDITIONAL special, however cloak cannot be swapped out. im unsure how to give kluth specials as they all have a fairly good one)

Hunters grace, instantly cloaks the ship regardless of signature, forces recharge of weapons and disables AHR for the duration of the cooldown

Second the Class specials, these are the specials only specific ship classes can get, there wont be many in this list as i have yet to work on all of them.

corvette:
Afterburner, drains energy and increases top speed. drawbacks, lowers turn rate and damages engine 1% per tick. cannot be activated again untill engine is back to 100%

Emergency drive spinup, Forces a full recharge of a jump drive, damages JD 40% and burns over half the ships energy. two minute cooldown

Frigate:
Overcharge scanners, doubles scanner effectiveness, does not change cooldown rates. drains energy and causes 1% damage to scanners per tick active, cannot reactivate untill all scanners are back at 100% (in example, if it had a range of 500 it now has a range of 1000)

Destroyer:
Advanced targeting computers, Lowers energy cost for beams shooting at missiles, (pd mode) increases PD check tick to twice its normal amount, damages beams and device ((This one can be changed, but i cant think of anything better for the dessy right now))

Cruiser:

???

Dreadnought: (This one only applys to command ships)
Rally, gives a boost to passive regeneration globally, 500gu radius (hull is included in this) in the area of effect, damages device when active, two minute cooldown and must be at 100% to use again)>ONLY ONE RALLY WILL WORK ON A SHIP AT ANY GIVEN TIME< the rallying command ship is immune to this effect

Ship specific specials, here is where we get into the rather interesting special ability's. only specific ships can use these.

Agincort Carrier Dreadnought: Scramble fighters, forces all fighter bays to ready state, allowing to "fire" another wave right then. two minute cooldown, device is damaged when used by 25% each use, can only be repaired in orbit of a planet.

Battle Dreadnought: Admirals rage, Increases firerate of all weapons, damages them when active. two minute cooldown (this device takes no energy to use however the energy cost of firing more rapidly makes up for it)

Elite Assault Dreadnought: Moment of glory, Repairs armor by 25% increases fire rate and damage, heavily damages all devices to near uselessness after it wears off. two minute cooldown, increases energy costs when active

Missile Dreadnought: Hotload, Instantly refreshes all missiles, gives a chance to have missiles explode when launched (Damaging the ship firing them ) two minute cooldown.

Combat Dreadnought: Artillery barrage, gives quick recharge to the ion cannons and missiles (which causes them to drain more power inherently) damages ion cannons when firing rapidly, two minute cooldown

Assault Dreadnought: Fanatical devotion, similar to moment of glory, recharges shields 50% gives less damage bonus then moment of glory. disables shields entirely when it wears off, same drawbacks other then the above stated.

Sector command base: Area denial, Stops all enemy missiles and fighters from entering a 1000gu radius, best used with an interdictor however this does not stop jumping. disables all movement and jumping when active, 60 second on/off time, you must wait 60 seconds before this device will turn off and 60 to turn it on. must be stationary to turn on

UGTO Command Station: Naval Might. (rally, only better ) Same drawbacks to area denial

Line station: Fire support, increases range of ion cannons and missiles by 600 Gu, does not alter fire rate. same drawbacks to area denial

Battle station: Bombardment, Increases QST "reload" rate, does not increase damage. increases energy cost. same drawbacks to area denial

I am sadly unable to come up with special devices for kluth, i do not know enough about them to attempt to make a moderately "balanced" special for each dreadnought.
Feel free to try your hand at coming up with specials, the rules are simple. the drawbacks must balance out the gains. cooldowns do not a drawback make. (they do help, but that is not the only deciding factor, if i made something which killed all enemy ships in the server but had a 4 day cooldown. it wouldn't make it balanced in the least)

[ This Message was edited by: Rhiawhyn Zerinth on 2010-04-10 04:08 ]

Forger of Destiny
Chief Marshal
We Kick Arse

Posted: 2010-04-10 05:14   
All special devices take damage upon activation?not cool
As for K'luth devices, i have a list for you-

Global -

Cloak - zero the signature and make ship invisible. High energy usage.
Venom Cloud - Creates a nebula-like sensor scrambler cloud for 1 min, reduces electromagnetic warfare device effectiveness by 40%. 20 energy usage, 2 min cooldown.
Dermis - projectile speeds reduced by 50% in 500gu radius. High energy usage.

Class -

Scout - Cobra - Increase max ship speed by 25%. Medium energy usage.
Frigate - Epidermis - Reduce damage by 20% for 3 mins. Zeroes the energy battery and reduced energy generation for 1 min.
Destroyer - Scope - For 2 mins, increase projectile range by 20%, increase beam range by 25%, reduce beam and projectile damage by 20%, 30 energy usage, 3 min cooldown.
Cruiser - Heal - 175% Armor regeneration, high energy usage.
Dreadnought - Adrenaline - Reduce ALL cooldown by 25%, increase beam damage by 20%, high energy usage.
Station - Exodermis - Create safe zone around ship of 500gu radius for 2 min, 4 min cooldown, 150 energy usage.

Specific -

Fang - Eye - Decrease beacon signature by 2, make beacons have 10 degree homing capability, decrease damage by 10%, 3 min cooldown.
Aphid - Overload - For 3 mins, increase reload drone repair rate by 25%, decrease JD cooldown by 20%, decrease damage by 10%, decreased energy generation, decrease max speed by 20%.
Claw - Warmachine - Increase beam damage by 25%, increase beam range by 25%, high energy usage.
Scarab - Supermatter - For 3 mins, increase dropped mine damage by 30%, increase torpedo damage by 20%, increase torpedo range by 20%, 3 min cooldown, 30 energy usage.
Brood - Swarm - For 3 mins, increase fighter damage by 50%, decrease fighter cooldown by 25%, increase detection range by 50%, 100 energy usage.
Nest - Fury - Increase SI and assault disruptor damage by 30%, 125% armor regeneration, high energy usage.

Now, for what was missed out...
Advanced drone engineer - Cortex - For 10 min, increase build rate by 50%, increase signature by 10, 10 min cooldown.
Extractor - Roots - Increase mining rate by 100%, increase signature by 20, high energy usage.

Hope this list helps in compilation of the bigger lists that are to follow...
And now for the luth-like good bye, %_% #_# ()_() <>_<> Q_Q *waves hand*

DiepLuc
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-10 05:44   
ICC and UGTO both have beacon destroyer class ship, however Kluth doesn't have one. Perhaps add one?

UGTO has flux, Kluth has cloak, ICC doesn't have any special thing. As ICC is oriented to be defendable, I suggest ICC ships have the special device that can create a sphere cover the ships in order to protect it from being attacked (by reducing the damage). The sphere should drain energy fast so that the ICC won't overuse this advantage.

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-10 06:07   
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 05:44, Diep Luc wrote:
ICC and UGTO both have beacon destroyer class ship, however Kluth doesn't have one. Perhaps add one?

UGTO has flux, Kluth has cloak, ICC doesn't have any special thing. As ICC is oriented to be defendable, I suggest ICC ships have the special device that can create a sphere cover the ships in order to protect it from being attacked (by reducing the damage). The sphere should drain energy fast so that the ICC won't overuse this advantage.

The ICC have the pulse shield currently, but not many use it that often. at least not many new players do as they tend not to understand what it does, but anything in a 300m radius which can be shot at by point defence, dies instantly

Borgie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-04-10 06:10   
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 06:07, Rhiawhyn Zerinth wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 05:44, Diep Luc wrote:

The ICC have the pulse shield currently, but not many use it that often. at least not many new players do as they tend not to understand what it does, but anything in a 300m radius which can be shot at by point defence, dies instantly

i beg your pardon, i see icc players using it all the time

Email Borgie
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-10 09:07   
Some of those things are real nice, and have proper pros and cons to them. 2min cooldown is planety for when in combat. Issue I do see some of them getting abused. Thing to keep in mind is if they get used by multiple people, now the AD and EAD ones as well as the other dread ones seem fine for a good last stand kind of thing (Althoguh the CD one could be better as the missiles on that thing will be getting removed eventually). The LS one also could do for some improvement and with the new reduced ranges it wouldn't be of much use. Maybe something like....

The Line (or The Line in the Sand)

Increases IC fire rate by 100% lasts only 2-5 seconds (yes a variable). Device is destroyed upon use and can only be repaired when the ship re-spawns either by choice or death. 2 min cool down to prevent abuse.

For the CD.

Last Stand.

Increases fire rate of all guns by 50% for 3 seconds and increases range by 300gu. After which all shields are given 50% HP. All ships systems take 25% damage and energy is drained. Device is destroyed upon use. 2 min cool down.

Both of those are meant for a final stand. So if you know your going down you can active the device and attempt to take as many as you can with you.

Those are the ones I came up with at least for the CD and LS. Overall I do like the direction this is going.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2010-04-10 10:35   
I like some of these idea's. I am looking at ways we could potentially use some of them.

I definitley like the idea of a class special.

Goto the website of Drafell
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-10 10:48   
Me and Drafell both really like this idea. Time to start proposals!

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-10 16:45   
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 09:07, Fast Starcommand *CO* wrote:
-Snip-

The idea of a last stand ability is the area of the AD/EAD ships, not a CD. if you are up close in a cd you are going to die, besides being able to fire ions near constantly is enough as is

That and i didnt think both jack AND draf would like the idea...

Antra
Admiral
Agents

Posted: 2010-04-10 17:07   
Would the class specials be per faction as well? Example: ICC dessies get targeting computers, K'luth DEs extra hull regen when under fire, UGTO DEs can overcharge their weapons by rapidly draining energy.

I really like these ideas, but it's a lot more to balance. I'm not saying the attempt shouldn't be made, only that we all should hop into beta and pound the crap out of any new code that might be put in.

EDIT: I really, really like the idea of stations having movement disabled to gain area effects. If anyone reading this has played Star Wars Saga Edition and has Starships of the Galaxy, what I'm talking about is the tactical fire effects of capital ships. For instance, an Imperial Star Destroyer can forgo all attacks to provide tactical fire support to other ships in its vicinity, granting them an accuracy bonus. That would be a combination of comms/intelligence coordination, and area denial using the big guns. It's coordinating friendly vessels and using its own massive resources to give those allies a benefit.

For DS, the bonuses could be in a large radius -- a few thousand GU. I see 1000gu as the minimum, and that effect had better be darn potent to let the enemy that close to the station!

PS: Oh, and 60s to step out of "command mode" before you can jump away.
[ This Message was edited by: Antra on 2010-04-10 17:15 ]

Email Antra
Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-10 17:57   
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 17:07, Antra wrote:
-snip-

Allready stated that it takes 60 seconds to toggle the device, so thats allready in. however one must consider that more stations is a detriment to the fleet, belive it or not. one station and one command ship give bonuses, the rest do not get any. stations are immune to all AOE bonuses from other stations. ((take THAT station hordes.)) it will cause the other station pilots to chose who they think is the best pilot for the station and have him be in it, while they buzz about in other ships getting the bonus.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-04-10 18:38   
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 17:57, Rhiawhyn Zerinth wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-04-10 17:07, Antra wrote:
-snip-

Allready stated that it takes 60 seconds to toggle the device, so thats allready in. however one must consider that more stations is a detriment to the fleet, belive it or not. one station and one command ship give bonuses, the rest do not get any. stations are immune to all AOE bonuses from other stations. ((take THAT station hordes.)) it will cause the other station pilots to chose who they think is the best pilot for the station and have him be in it, while they buzz about in other ships getting the bonus.

Actually just make it so that only 1 of said device can be on at a time. So those stations can have the device but only one can use it at a time. Vary few people will take a SCB into a combat area so this won't be too much of an issue as SCB's are non-combat oriented stations, same goes for the command dread.

The last stand wouldn't work too well on an AD as the idea for it is gun based. Ya it could work on an AD but when your going down your energy is already gone. However........

The Final Push (assault Dread)

All beams cost 0 energy to use and beam fire rate is increased by 100% for 4 seconds. Shields at the end gain 15% HP, all energy is drained for 2 min. Device is destroyed upon use, 2 min cool-down.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-10 20:13   
i like em allcept for 1 thing

the CD , its rapid fire Ions and Missles, since the missiles ark are sideways only (YEt they fire from the front wtf?) only 1 of the 2 IC can fire on the side, reducing the ability very much, so my i suggest instead of missiles the rails guns?

beside that

19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-04-10 20:33   
Quote:
On 2010-04-10 20:13, Zero28 wrote:
i like em allcept for 1 thing

the CD , its rapid fire Ions and Missles, since the missiles ark are sideways only (YEt they fire from the front wtf?) only 1 of the 2 IC can fire on the side, reducing the ability very much, so my i suggest instead of missiles the rails guns?

beside that
[Annoying Picture]

Missiles get changed, there becoming Full slots.
the Command Dread will be looked at, but if you ask my opinion it should have minimal amount of close range weapons..

E.

Lark of Serenity
Grand Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-04-11 19:32   
I was actually thinking the other day about making ship boarding a bit different between factions, and some other possible buffs/debuffs from that

A) UGTO
Clearly have dozens of windows on all their ships, and sit on the most major human population centers. thus their ships are probably primarily manned rather than automated. boarding an UGTO ship would probably be inherently difficult then since there would be so many people on board to defend it. however this also seems like it would make repairing damaged systems difficult since damaged systems also inherently means damaged people. so slower repairs on systems damage comes with it (which is fine since UGTO is the faction with the most anti-systems weapons)

B) ICC
very few windows on the ship, suggesting a lot of the ships systems are automated which makes sense considering the advanced technology this faction has access to. this unfortunately means smaller crew sizes though, so easier to capture an ICC ship. automated systems can have redundencies and be fixed in various ways though, so better repair from system damage.

C) K'luth
the ships are organic and very difficult for humans to get around, let alone understand how to operate. very difficult to capture without experienced troops. best systems repair because the ship literally repairs itself.

Page created in 0.025945 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR