Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » A couple questions for the powers that know
 Author A couple questions for the powers that know
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-09 01:51   
Quote:

On 2010-04-08 20:21, Shigernafy wrote:

Adding arcs isn't a trivial matter, unfortunately - its not a matter of "Arcs: 315-45" to set a Fore arc (though that'd be nice...). They're hard coded into the game and adding in sub-arcs would be a lot of work.

Q1: What i got from that statement is that weapons are tagged as Foreward/Port/Aft/Starboard as aposed to a 0-359 degree scale, correct?

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 20:21, Shigernafy wrote:

Not a bad idea to have more arc flexibility.. just unlikely given the time investment required.

Q2: Having Arc Flexibility would be freaking awsome. Realistically how much effort would making it possible be?

Unrelated topics:

Q1: How hard would a waypoint system be to code? and what i mean exactly is when CTRL-Clicking on the map, or in space, one selects that point in space right? well, the way point system could be as easy as ctrl-shift-Clicking to add additional points.

(the reason to bring this up is so one might 'chuck' a missile or fighter around a planet, as well as setting up a multiple jump trip while one goes for a bio break)

Q2: ive gathered from the changes going on that the weapons and ship layouts are being modified, are we to see anything new?

fank u fank u

Email Meko
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-04-09 02:23   
We could code sub-arcs in but that would then make game play more complicated. We try to leave some aspects simple for quick and easy play.

We use "Flags" to determine weapons arcs. A Device has 5 options.

1. None
2. Fore
3. Left
4. Right
5. Aft

The resourcer allows us to check which arc a device is enabled, the game sees it as simple binary.

None = 0000
Fore = 1000
Left = 0100
Right =0010
Aft = 0001

Weapons set to multiple arcs are flagged as necessary.

Fore/Left = 1100
Fore/Right = 1010
Fore/Right/Left = 1110
Full = 1111

I think you get the idea.

To add sub arcs we'd just have to create more flags but that would also require us to go back through every ship in the game and every device on every ship to make those changes.

That would take a very long time as we have done this twice before during major ship overhauls.

Email Tael
Archon
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-09 04:21   
Posting in this thread to say hi to meko ^^

~Insanity Is Only The Beginning~

Email Archon
Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-09 04:54   
Quote:

On 2010-04-09 02:23, Tael wrote:

ok fair enough, makes sense.

how about the questions not related to arcs?

Email Meko
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-04-09 05:42   
Quote:

On 2010-04-09 04:54, Meko wrote:
Q1: How hard would a waypoint system be to code? and what i mean exactly is when CTRL-Clicking on the map, or in space, one selects that point in space right? well, the way point system could be as easy as ctrl-shift-Clicking to add additional points.

(the reason to bring this up is so one might 'chuck' a missile or fighter around a planet, as well as setting up a multiple jump trip while one goes for a bio break)

Q2: ive gathered from the changes going on that the weapons and ship layouts are being modified, are we to see anything new?

A1: A waypoint system shouldn't be 'too' hard to impliment, however, as far as jump waypoints go the auto-pilot will plot the quickest route to a destination now. Not so smart when it comes to planet dictors however (which is where I think your suggestion might be handy). It's something I definately want to see, but on the list of priorities I fear it might be slightly low down.

A2: Yes. We're staggering the changes over a period of time so as not to complicate matters by submitting all the changes at once (which would inflate the download size of the patch), it also allows us to test them much easier. The new scouts are in-game already, although revisions are constantly being made. There's no time-frame, but it's being done.

Meko
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-09 05:48   
Quote:

On 2010-04-09 05:42, BackSlash wrote:
A1: A waypoint system shouldn't be 'too' hard to impliment, however, as far as jump waypoints go the auto-pilot will plot the quickest route to a destination now. Not so smart when it comes to planet dictors however (which is where I think your suggestion might be handy). It's something I definately want to see, but on the list of priorities I fear it might be slightly low down.

understandable, theres lots of changes going about. what about adding the waypoint system for fighters and missiles?

Quote:

On 2010-04-09 05:42, BackSlash wrote:

A2: Yes. We're staggering the changes over a period of time so as not to complicate matters by submitting all the changes at once (which would inflate the download size of the patch), it also allows us to test them much easier. The new scouts are in-game already, although revisions are constantly being made. There's no time-frame, but it's being done.

makes sense.

i wish to submit the idea to add more cruisers to the game that are usefull, which will help reduce the dreadspace issue (which is already happening thankfully)

Email Meko
Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-04-09 13:56   
Actually what I'd like to see is a s ystem where we can save one to 4 locations as a hot key... So while you are in a big battle and getting close to death, instead of Ejumping and being tacked easily, or having to break into F2 to plot a jump and make sure its a clear jump line, you can hit your hot key to select your saved jump point and then select J to jump to it.

Email Tael
Tridgit
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-09 19:45   
Quote:

On 2010-04-09 13:56, Tael wrote:
Actually what I'd like to see is a s ystem where we can save one to 4 locations as a hot key... So while you are in a big battle and getting close to death, instead of Ejumping and being tacked easily, or having to break into F2 to plot a jump and make sure its a clear jump line, you can hit your hot key to select your saved jump point and then select J to jump to it.

this i heartilly aprove of tael!!!!

adding this + the ability to waypoint weapons during combat would make me.... well, my pants are tight thinkin about it =)

Page created in 0.015650 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR