No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The charm of the deep space exploration...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
 Author The charm of the deep space exploration...
Mr Black
Grand Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-03-18 16:30   
The current universe map is only a small section of what we would love to eventually implement.

The biggest issue here is with having a sufficient playerbase to support it.

Eventually I would love the universe map to be a 3d representation of the universe you can explore. Areas with 'active' spawn locations (ie. built shipyards) would be accesible directly from here.

As suggested by Richard, it would be possible to 'sleep' a number of systems and the processes shifted to an update simulator that is able to resolve simple ship battles and other events via an autoroll system. Games like X2+ use this system for massive universe simulation.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr Black on 2010-03-18 16:39 ]

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-19 21:14   
the good old 1.481 design proposals

http://ds.37542.nl/pictures/mv1481ingame1-0.jpg

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-03-22 06:17   
that is one heck of a nice layout. wouldn't mind getting that back.
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Marshal
Exathra Alliance Fleet

Posted: 2010-03-25 07:12   
Was fun back in the day on that map layout

Quod nos non interficit, nos fortiores facitrnrn

Email Admiral Alucard (2IC)
Ares Aelius
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-25 15:31   
thought that was the one for 482 as well? at least for a while.. miss that old map

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-26 11:45   
Quote:

On 2010-03-16 09:40, Eledore Massis [R33] wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 12:06, Faustus wrote:
You can do this in limited hardware by simply sleeping parts of the universe that are not occupied by players.

Interesting ideal..

Faustus, Didn't we had that already?
I mean i remember something like that being said years ago. or was that when a "zone" was not in use?

Yea, but currently the zones are all occupied by AI, and they still are operating when players are not present, what sleeping would do is stop all updates in that zone, including AI, unless a player is in it, it's a great idea. I can't wait to see if/when it's implemented.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Anathemia
1st Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-30 13:27   
Not like AI do much to begin with. They occasionally come in handy with that one supply that reloads your weapons when the stations on yer team are busy or they get in the way and absorb one alpha etc. AI do basically nothing except drain yer planets of infantry or mess with half built planets. when left alone.

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-04-07 07:16   
if i am correct AI where implented to keep bordom away at the point that this game was basicly death .(hard words but it is the truth). now we got a solid player base again the ai (icc luth ugto) can be taken out this wouldn't pose a problem but greatly reduce the strain of ai on the home system slots. so you would have less of a drain on them. and you could make a easy lock to prefent ai from MI and pirates to enter. you could just add a script that they are either unable to spawn there if the server has a 0 count on human players or make them SD when this is the case. the last case isn't a pretty fix but it will keep AI out of there and will only lead to a small rise of server strain for a limited amount of time.

the code for AI not spawning could be implented with reletive eas (i don't know lau but i do know c so this example is written in c also that i don't know the source of ds makes this an abstract example)

int human_players;
(the procedure/function you folks jused to show the number of people in the server)
if (human_players != 0){
.......(ai script)
}
else{
....(remove instance or send back instance to its home server)
}

just thought of the fact that you could also make scouts and bombers 'look' differently for targets. you could just let them rule out targets that are in a server that has no humans in them. this would probs be a bit more complicated but would be a better/more efficient solution to the ai strain on the server.

[ This Message was edited by: Timbo on 2010-04-07 07:20 ]
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Zero28
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-04-07 11:10   
Beside, the AI kills the point of recon,All you need to do is wait til an AI suppy or tranny go suicide and jump the SY planet of the other faction, and there ya go you can see all there ships hugging the planet/gate/middle of nowhere/Gaifen/your mom/Tael
19:33:51 [ZION]GothThug {C?}: "Zero..you are DS's hero"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Page created in 0.018787 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR