No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.6 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » The charm of the deep space exploration...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author The charm of the deep space exploration...
AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-03 10:24   
Hello... I'd like to post a proposal....

Why don't build a server with a big universe for deep exploration?
This is just a draft idea... it could be developed...

I was thinking that a black hole could be added in an existing server... This could bring us to the new one (if you don't want to enter it directly from the client)...

In this one, we could find aliens... randomly... No gates... no map... Lots of asteroids and nebulas... and stars... If you approach to a star, you'll find planets... Moons and asteroids...

You take an engineering ship and start building a supply platform near an asteroid cluster... Then a sensor platform, then jump towards a star and build another platform.... come back to the asteroids to take other resources..., come back to the platform to recharge jump drives and then jump again and build another platform.... and so on.... You reach a star, start colonize a planet... build a shipyard in order to be able to select other ships....and so on...

A huge universe to colonize... with lots of surprises and all empty planets... Sometimes, someone of us could find a "neutral" populated planet... or pirates... aliens...

And finding other black holes you could enter other exploration-servers in order to expand the exploration universe....

Huge distances.... the charm of the unknown... alone in the dark space....

What do you think?
Is this possible?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-03 11:01   
Ironically, generating random systems isn't hard at all. However, we don't exactly have the resources to do so without the server falling to its knees in a matter of days.

Email Sens [R33]
AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-03 11:06   
Why?
Due to a too big universe?

In this case... it could be fragmented in lots of servers using black holes to connect them..., exactly like the servers that we use now: they're connected through gates.

For example, the "excuse" could be that this part of universe could be a huge expanse of black holes... With planets and asteroids... And the black holes could be used in order to change server, avoiding to overload just one server with the whole expanse of space...

Or is the reason another?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-03 11:29   
Object count increases exponentially, we only have one server.

Email Sens [R33]
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-03 11:44   
All the DS servers are running on one machine that's multi-threaded, unfortunately all the threads are in use, adding more universes would require a complete overhaul of the code, the current tracking system wouldn't allow for such an enormous universe.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-03-03 11:47   
Answer : Parelel programing clusters!

Faustus
Marshal
Palestar

Posted: 2010-03-03 12:06   
You can do this in limited hardware by simply sleeping parts of the universe that are not occupied by players.

Interesting ideal..

Goto the website of Faustus
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-03 12:35   
but there is still the chance, that every player might be in a different system (playercount = active systemcount)

another point: what about the changes made in those systems when theyre active ? what about the planets build up by someone ? if you randomise the systems, everytime someone enter it, what happend to the former colonies ?do they alwas get killed by %INSERT_ACCIDENT% ? and where is the difference to the current metaverse, if they weren't randomised evertime they become active.

dont get me wrong, i'd like to explore the delta-sector and discover the borg , but i see some problems in that
[ This Message was edited by: NoBoDx on 2010-03-03 12:36 ]

EvilKittyFederation

Posted: 2010-03-03 12:43   
What so.. eve online style wormholes? , sounds cool

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-03-03 13:03   
Sounds like a theme for a new game to me. I'd rather see DS spend it's time "fixing" the issues that are ticking players off now first.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-03-03 15:55   
Oh no no, please, Dark Space is a wonderful game. No change.

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-03-16 08:54   
this sound epic
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-03-16 09:40   
Quote:
On 2010-03-03 12:06, Faustus wrote:
You can do this in limited hardware by simply sleeping parts of the universe that are not occupied by players.

Interesting ideal..

Faustus, Didn't we had that already?
I mean i remember something like that being said years ago. or was that when a "zone" was not in use?

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-03-17 06:40   
well isn't it possible to get rid of home servers. just attach one star for each faction onto sagaritus. to create on bigger layout. in a united mv. the home servers are a good idea but no-body ever fights there. it is just jused as a spawn place for bigger ships. removing them would clear up 3 zones and a lot of objects. not only there would be less planets but also way less ai because home servers are always devoid of players they are swarming with ai. I didn't build darkspace neither have i seen the source code but i know that ai drain a lot of power from the servers. so if you would take those servers out you would gain zone's for this idea.

also i think it might be fun to make a winning condition to it. not like in scenario with flags. but something like controll XX% of the planets or XX% of the stars in the map. just my 2 cents (thought only posting that sounds epic was a bit lame)
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

viorel2013

Posted: 2010-03-17 09:14   

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.030656 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR