Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +4.4 Days

Search

Anniversaries

22th - Tellaris
17th - Oskar von Reuenthal

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Tactics & New Players » » Bombing and capturing planets...
 Author Bombing and capturing planets...
AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-21 21:50   
Hello!
I tried to look for this informations in the forum and manual, but I couldn't.
I need some help about capturing and bombing planet.

I tried transporting lots of infantry and heavy infantry (several thousands of cargo loads.... also 50'000-60'000 or more) on a planet... but nothing...

How many cargo loads of infantry do I need in order to capture a planet?

About bombing:
I put myself at a good distance (about 800), using a scanner, and a bomber ship... I was able to target planet zones, for example \"Defense Bases\"..., with platforms near me (so, always refilled, always 12 mirv bombs for each cannon)... but after having launched hundreds of bombs... nothing!

The defense bases, or the enemy infantries are always on... always working...
Furthermore, it seems that the bombs neither touch the ground, nor are destroyed while flying (for example by ray weapons...)... they simply disappear!
Just about a 2-3% of bombs go down and I can see the ground explosion!

I tried to follow the bombs by selecting them and clicking on the bomb camera... I see it travelling and, once near the planet, it simply disappear and my camera come back to my ship immediately...

Why do this happen?
How many mirv bombs do I need to destroy a defense base?
How let the bombs reach the ground/target?

Thank you!!!!

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-21 22:33   

It's hard to bomb a built up planet alone.

The PD will make short work of your bombs, especially if you're using a frigate with only 1 or 2 bomb slots.

In order to assault a planet, you need a strong ship... better yet, 2.... to get in close with the planet to absorb PD fire, while your bomber or two, make their bomb runs starting at max bomb range, at bomb speed (approx 15 to 17) and release them en masse at a single target. Get a suppy to trail you and refill you on the go.

AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-21 22:37   
OK thanks!
I put about 25 platforms ( about half weapon platforms and about half supply platforms), near the planet, and I put near them with the bomber ship.
So the platforms defend me and let me bomb it in peace, and continuously refill my bombs... But this is not enought!

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-02-21 23:56   
its kinda hard to explain and u realy need to find a player that know howto bombto show u rather then tell u. if u can find me around then ill show u, but ill try explaining it to u the best i can.

the most effective way to bomb is to cload bomb. what that is is getting all of ur bombs to fly in a big group or cloud as ur flying to words the planet. this veries a little for each faction bt for ugto u would start about 2000 away from a planet and fly at a speed of 17.5 toward a planet wih a scanner on. focous all of ur bombs on a single structure. taking out all of the cortex nexus and the hub will disable a planet and stop it from firing most of its wepons and useing its pd and disable its dictor. keep foing this untill uve done the damage u were aiming to do.

next to capture the planet u will need to bomb all of the infinty. get the plane down to as low amont of inf as possible, preferably 0, and then drop ur own troops, as many as u can, on the planet. when u have more of ur inf on the plane then the other faction does then u will momentarily capture the planet.

of corse next u will hae to get an engineer and rebuild th planet for it to be any good but im not going to get into that right now.

wow i think thats the longest post i ever made.

well goodluck. hope this helps.

Space

AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-21 23:59   
OK, two times thanks!
For the help and for the long post!!!

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-02-22 00:10   
haha np

oh and having another player follow u in a supply ship as mentioned in an above pist really helps. if u cant find somone to fly a suppie around (easy pres for them) then either have a planet u can orbit near by to refil ur bombs and repair u, or have a plat that is just over 2000 away from the planet so the planet doesnt kill it, and u can just fly by it on ur next run.

AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-22 00:24   
ok thanks!

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-22 04:46   
If you can help it, find someone to provide you with ecm cover. Then you can safely bomb from orbit.

Email Sens [R33]
Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-22 05:12   
Quote:

On 2010-02-22 04:46, Facillitator of Coffee Delivery wrote:
If you can help it, find someone to provide you with ecm cover. Then you can safely bomb from orbit.

Until a player or AI ship come to slap you around.....

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-02-22 08:22   
Quote:
On 2010-02-21 21:50, AriesMu wrote:
How many cargo loads of infantry do I need in order to capture a planet?

I tried to follow the bombs by selecting them and clicking on the bomb camera... I see it travelling and, once near the planet, it simply disappear and my camera come back to my ship immediately...

Why do this happen?
How many mirv bombs do I need to destroy a defense base?
How let the bombs reach the ground/target?

Thank you!!!!

Just a Gross number but when you select the enemy planet you will see in the lower right target info the current planet troop count.
Usually on a good planet this is between 22 ~ 32, the max a planet can support is 32 allied infantry. However these might be regular infantry or Heavy, you don't know unless you take a closer look.
In addition the planet might have a barracks or multiple barracks who will keep producing infantry for the faction that has the planet under control, this increases the difficulty.
So given a planet that has 1 barracks and 32 regular infantry you would need around 38 or more infantry to capture it.
Keep in mind that the longer it takes to drop that number on the planet, the higher the number will be because the barracks will get time to produce more.
My opinion: Bomb the majority of the infantry of the planet if possible.

Bombs are a bit tricky at the moment, i personally don't like em. But the basics are mostly given in above posts, lets give a little more information about the rest.
Bombs (MIRV, Neutron, Bio, Tele-Kenetic) once released on a target are easily identified by other ships and defense bases, using ECM to hide them or using your ship to protect them is recommended, using this ship however requires skill as.. well.. you can get killed.

To harm destroy structure there are three factors, 1; need a bomb that damage structures (MIRV or Tele-Kenetic) 2; Sufficient numbers of them to destroy the structure 3; tactical awareness how to approach the planet and select targets accordingly.
First one is simple, Second one just takes a little practice. Its the third one is a little bit harder.
When approaching a planet take into consideration the planet is rotating so by the times your bombs get there the target might have rotated across the horizon. The other is picking a target that is surrounded by Defense II bases this will mean you need more bombs, so look for a target that is important but has the least of defense around it.
Using population killer bombs (Neutron and Bio) are a bit tougher since you will have to target the population but you will find that one out.
OO Not to forget Look around the planet if there is a SHIELD! when a shield is present on a planet, you need to overwhelm the shield first with bombs before a structure can take damage. A planet shield is ICC technology but other factions can have captured a planet with the Shield structure already on it. So always check for that.

O forgot a question, how many bombs are needed to destroy a defense base. The defense bases got remodeled a time ago so i don't know the exact figures but around 8 direct MIRV hits should be enough.

Long post, hope it wasn't boring,
Eledore Massis.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-22 14:02   
Quote:

On 2010-02-22 05:12, FTL great budda wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-22 04:46, Facillitator of Coffee Delivery wrote:

Until a player or AI ship come to slap you around.....

If you plan it well, it can take less than two minutes to bomb and capture a fully built planet, depending on the number of sensor bases/plat defenses.

Email Sens [R33]
AriesMu
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-23 09:39   
OK thanks a lot!

And what about if I install an ECM on my bomber ship (removing the eccm or any other object)?

x Eledore Massis:
Oh you weren't boring at all! Your reply is very interesting!

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-02-23 15:32   
installing ecm on your bomber should make it harder for the planet to detect and shoot down ur bombs by lowering ur bombs signature. im not not completely sure how much it helps but it couldnt hurt.

keep in mind that u need to have a scanner on your ship. if u dont have a scanner then u will most likely not be able to lock onto structures and infentry on the planet, hence u will not be able to effectivly bomb.

in the case of bombing eccm will not help u at all, since it raises the signature of you and everyone/thing around u

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-23 17:32   
Scanners are only necessary if you intend on bombing with a full cloud. If you have ECM cover from another ship (your own gadgets aren't enough to mask your ship), you can bomb at a range your ship's intrinsic sensors can detect planetary structures.

Email Sens [R33]
Page created in 0.022273 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR