Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Possibility of variable dictor fields
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Possibility of variable dictor fields
befuddled
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-12 14:26   
Just a thought on how to give greater utilty to smaller ships.
Might it not be an idea to render one's suceptibility to dictor fields proportional to one's size. Thus from scouts being virtually immune to cruisers being dictored out to 750gu and stations out to 1500gu.

I can see problems with tranny rushing so there might need to be some limitation imposed there somehow.

I really haven't thought this through, but it could create a greater tactical role for the smaller ships.

Kanman
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-12 14:36   
The idea is interesting, but you have the concept inverted.

See, stations are larger and thus have bigger, stronger jump drives. That means they should be capable of handling more interference without difficulty than a smaller ship.

Also, small ships are faster and more easily capable of escaping larger dictor fields.

So, the idea SHOULD be to make dictor fields work on stations out to 750gu and progressively farther as chassis size decreases, maxing out on scout ships around 1500-2000 gu.

befuddled
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-12 15:16   
I see the logic of what you're saying. But just as easily one could conjur up some bogus Star Trek science explaining that dictors act on the mass of an object which in turn needs exponentially more hyperdrive grunt to escape per unit increase in mass.

I liked the idea though of smaller ships being able to jump in, harrass and get out more easily than the larger ships. Or that it would be easier for smaller ships to jump in closer to assist dictored larger ships that are in trouble more quickly than their bigger sisters.

Sops
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-02-12 16:53   
I wouldn't support the expanding of the dictor field.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-12 17:27   
Dictor plats with a radius of 750 gu. Limit 5 per server.....

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Enterprise
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-13 01:13   
Quote:

On 2010-02-12 14:36, Kanman wrote:
The idea is interesting, but you have the concept inverted.

See, stations are larger and thus have bigger, stronger jump drives. That means they should be capable of handling more interference without difficulty than a smaller ship.

Also, small ships are faster and more easily capable of escaping larger dictor fields.

So, the idea SHOULD be to make dictor fields work on stations out to 750gu and progressively farther as chassis size decreases, maxing out on scout ships around 1500-2000 gu.

Pretty sure the idea above wasn't supposed to act on basic assumption and was targeted as more of a use to use against bigger ships. Personally, I feel it works better that way. Gives some more incentive than using a big ship.

-Ent

Icarus II
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-13 01:24   
i agree Ent...

Email Icarus II
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-13 05:48   
Quote:

On 2010-02-12 15:16, befuddled wrote:
I see the logic of what you're saying. But just as easily one could conjur up some bogus Star Trek science explaining that dictors act on the mass of an object which in turn needs exponentially more hyperdrive grunt to escape per unit increase in mass.

but in ths case, the dictors have to affect the speed of ships (more mass = slower)

befuddled
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-13 06:25   
Quote:

On 2010-02-13 05:48, NoBoDx wrote:

but in ths case, the dictors have to affect the speed of ships (more mass = slower)

Dictors only influence the ability to access superluminal space, as far as I imagine it to be so. What physics apply there I'll let you know once I've made them up and been awarded my Nobel.

One unfortunate scenario I might envisage is a fleet of mixed ships jumping the enemy just before they switched their dictor on with the ensuing carnage of the little ships landing right in the middle of the shark pool while the heavy guns get stuck over the horizon.
[ This Message was edited by: befuddled on 2010-02-13 06:26 ]

Great Budda
Fleet Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-14 04:47   
It would prove an interesting concept as to interdictor usage..... not to mention alot tougher to get capital ships out of trouble.

Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-23 22:48   

Talking abt dictors...

I've seen and heard ppl bitching abt the use of dictor cruisers in the last few days that I wonder why doesn't the dico cruiser get written out of the game...

The moment U fly a dico, everyone calls you cheap, etc etc etc.

What's the point having it in game if every other player frowns upon it?

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-23 23:28   
Quote:

On 2010-02-23 22:48, Kenny_Naboo wrote:

Talking abt dictors...

I've seen and heard ppl bitching abt the use of dictor cruisers in the last few days that I wonder why doesn't the dico cruiser get written out of the game...

The moment U fly a dico, everyone calls you cheap, etc etc etc.

What's the point having it in game if every other player frowns upon it?

everyone whines about it because they cant jump out and save there pres loss. Back when pres loss mattered it was a big thing, but now losing pres is like a drop in the bucket compared to where it used to be. Thing is people still haven't lost that hate for the dico even tho death NO LONGER MATTERS! Some people will whine about it for there K.D but with AI now K.D is pointless to boast about.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Kenny_Naboo
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-24 01:32   
Personally, I don't mind if the enemy uses a dico. And I think that using a dico makes perfectly good tactical sense in some, if not most, situations where you

- don't want the enemy to escape (muahahahahah!!!)

- don't want to allow the enemy to jump in close to you
There will be times where you're ambushing a group of enemies, and you want to prevent his buddies/reinforcements from jumping right beside you. A dico will make sure they stay 1000gus out at least.

- disrupt the jump path from a Gate to your planet

- ambush the enemy

Lately, I've heard too many ppl telling me that a dico "spoils the game" and that they will log if they see one.

Pffffftttt.............

If you don't like dicos, then petition the devs to get rid of it permanently. But it's in the game now, and it's legit. So why the disdain?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenny_Naboo on 2010-02-24 01:33 ]

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-24 03:31   
just like how in Counterstrike: Source how some servers ban the Awp. Its a legit gun in the game and it kills in 1 hit (if you hit torso or above it won't kill with a leg shot or arm shot most of the time) and a lot of QQ players don't like it. If its in the game then it was meant to be used.

This applys also to Dark Space as well. The interdictor ship was placed in the game, and since its there (as well as the planetary versions) it will be used. If you don't like to, well too bad! For one its also a vary easy ship to kill, since as soon as you see one EVERYONE should be shooting it and then jumping out when its dead or the field drops. Its not an overpowered ship by any means, and even a fleet cant completely protect it forever. Even if it sits under a station, that station will be a vary quickly killed one if every one of your ships shoots it and its resulting explosion will kill the cruiser as well. Use tactics, I know its hard to drill into some of your thick skulls but it dose WORK! The only interdictor ship I have an issue with is the K'luth one, it can cloak. Other dicos have to jump in causing a flash of light announcing its arrival.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
NoBoDx
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-24 03:42   
theres another thing i want to add:

while you fly a dictor, you can't kill (almost) nothing, but you are most of the time the target of everyone and most of the time, you die.

so add some bonus-pres (maybe 1/4 of the kill-prestige) for every enemy ship, that is killed in your dictor-field in order to get at least something for supporting your teammates.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021749 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR