No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
03/30/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Development Updates » » Fleet usefulness suggestions
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
 Author Fleet usefulness suggestions
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-02-01 08:22   
Please post your suggestions here for making fleets more useful or worthy in your (the players) eyes.

This thread is to serve as a place where we can look for potential ideas to impliment that won't throw the balance of the game too far in the direction of players who are in fleets (nor do we want it based on the number of players in a fleet past about 10 or so).

Suggestions must not upset the balance of the game to a silly degree (meaning no +100% damage to all your fleet members, etc).

Modding will not be implimented, so don't suggest it.
Any posts not on-topic will be removed.

PureFury
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-01 09:37   
If we cannot add directly a bonus to ships why not a bank of enhancements so we can at least share more easily and more strategicly enhs between the clan players. And why not a bonus to drop luck on enhancements for fleets so that bank don't become useless.

I'm a idea machine. Want some more?

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-01 09:44   
Quote:

On 2010-02-01 09:37, PureFury wrote:
If we cannot add directly a bonus to ships why not a bank of enhancements so we can at least share more easily and more strategicly enhs between the clan players. And why not a bonus to drop luck on enhancements for fleets so that bank don't become useless.

I'm a idea machine. Want some more?

I like this suggestion, I like where this thread is going.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-02-01 09:45   
More like that.

Ok, so enhancements just for fleets. What else?

Code Red
Chief Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2010-02-01 11:21   
extra ship storage slots for fleet members?
fleet logo on ships?

Code Red, For winning in the 1RA Fleet Wars event, here's your coupon for a week.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-01 11:39   
The thing about fleet logos is it is possible, however there are so many fleets, (not to mention the fleets to follow when some of these plans are used.) that when everyone submits their fleet logos it's gunna add a huge amount of data to the game, for a *visually* tiny change.

Extra ship storage isn't too bad an idea, maybe an extra ship slot or two per person.
[ This Message was edited by: JBud on 2010-02-01 11:42 ]

The Fridge
Chief Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2010-02-01 12:41   
I was thinking when members of a fleet are close to each other, they get a tiny winy boost in something.

ICC - Shields

Uggies - Armour/Weapons?

Kluthies - Decreased uncloak time.

FA-Opposition
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-02-01 14:00   
I know that this is going to sound like a mod and maybe it is but my other form is locked.

now on the subject at hand i like the garage space thing and as for the memory space it would take for the special paint jobs this game was made long ago and does not take much space as is if you double it most would probably still not care. most games now require like nine gigs of space and personally i have a hole terabyte that is barley used but if it will cause some lag that i am not aware of that maybe a good reason not to.
the faction lock for unfleeted members also cool but maybe only if they were on for 5 mins in the first place because that would suck if you finger slipped on the wrong fleet button.
the shared enh thing love that.
if the one leader of a fleet got to have a flag ship that somehow was really strong or buffed the other ship in the fleet this would be cool but not have it based on who is a fleet admin but maybe on who is the highest ranked fleet member currently play that server if that is possible.

Removed modding request

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-02-01 14:56 ]

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2010-02-01 14:22   
Faustus and I worked on a way to put logos on ships several years back... Notice the skull and crossbones on the pirate ships? That was done as a test of the Logo System.

We worked on it back before we had the incremental backup system we have now. Back then it was all or nothing updates. The problem we have if we implement it is policing the logos to keep anything inappropriate or copywrited from ending up in game.

That would mean when a fleet logo was posted, it would have to be verified by an admin first before being rolled to the servers repository for pushing out to all clients. If there are to many fleets then we start to see a lot of data rolling out.

If we made a system so that its put on the website, we authorize it and it pushes out after the change, and then if you change logos the original is deleted and replaced with the new art file it might keep the size down. But we'd have to also put in routines to check when a fleet is deleted to remove the logo from the game as well.

This means many more micro updates.

We have also talked about making a set of logo's that players could choose from that are static in the game to avoid the swelling issue.

Right now to make the logo's work, two versions of the logo would be required, the actual logo and then an Alpha Channel. 256x256pixels is the size i think, but have to check my dev notes to be sure.

We'd have to go through every model and apply the logo port and change the code to read a variable and find/display that logo.

While not hard to do, there are many more pressing issues that require programming time before adding the logos.

Email Tael
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-02-01 14:55   
Do not post modding requests. I will remove them from posts. Please read the original post.

Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-02-01 14:55   
http://beta.darkspace.net/index.htm?module=forums.php&page=/viewtopic.php?topic=47682&forum=36&4

Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-02-01 18:31   
Quote:

On 2010-02-01 14:22, Tael wrote:
We have also talked about making a set of logo's that players could choose from that are static in the game to avoid the swelling issue.

realistically the most likely option there.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-01 18:35   
How about when a fleet reaches X amount of players (like 10 or when you can get your own fleet forum) that you can use the textures. Have some predefined ones (make sure you have a lot) for people to use. Maybe just add a small bit of changing to them, like color can be changed out of say 30 different logos.

Allowing fleeted members to control AI is a good one.

Fleet specific missions another good idea.

How about a fleet specific platform? Like a platform that has 3 core weps and 2 repair drones. Only 5 would ob allowed per a server and those 5 would be separate from the 30 already allowed. The model would need to be bigger, like dessy or cruiser sized to house all that.

Also how about allowing 20 or so platforms per a fleet. There would be the 30 for the unfleeted but each fleet would be allowed 20 of its own. So that each fleet could fortify a system that it took. The fleet would be allowed to build those if it reached above 10 people, if it drops below that all those platforms blow up immediately.

Limiting the number of fleet admins to 5 or 6 would be another good idea, than you could implement a fleet admin ship. It would be basically a super ship for Marshall+ only fleet admins as well. This is a Marshall+ ship so not many people will be able to fly this at first and even then its only limited to fleet admins only.
Model would be simple too, reuse whats already here.
Tech level to all ships is 100, resource cost is 250,534 making this ship available to terran planets only. The weight of these ships would be quite heavy and would cause them to turn slower then a normal dread.
The armor on the ships are slightly more then your average ship and would require a little more pounding before breaking through to the gooey hull.

Extra storage space for fleet members is a good incentive for people to join AND stay in them.

The community pool of enhancements another good idea, allow members while in there garage to add or take from the pool. A small bonus to improved+ drops would help this idea along.

Maybe a small pres bonus to fleets as well? A small increase to the rate at which you get pres on each stat. This would make it vary desirable for noobs who just learned the game and now just need to rank up to get ships. Would also cause a lot of them to sub as well, also make this for subbed only fleet members as well.

Lock unfleeted members to there choice of faction for 1 day, this will end the sabotaging that has been happening.
[ This Message was edited by: Mersenne Twister on 2010-02-03 19:18 ]

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2010-02-01 18:35   
Quote:

On 2010-02-01 18:31, Doran wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-01 14:22, Tael wrote:

realistically the most likely option there.

Or a special font, or small decal images for each letter of the alphabet, and print the fleet tag in a special way on the ship...

Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2010-02-01 18:51   
For me, what I would like to see is for targeting mainly. Similar to how some other games have it. Like RTS games, which is kinda what DS is.

To be able to target a player, planet, or point in space (both friendly and enemy) and have it show up for your fleetmates...

Doesn't have to be fancy. Maybe just right-click on the F2 map and select: [Attack Target] [Defend Target] [Move to this position], etc...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Page created in 0.025652 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR