Combat Kills

Combat kills in last 24 hours:
No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » WOWS What a great sounding game!!
 Author WOWS What a great sounding game!!
CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-01-12 19:47   
Features:

Featuring 3D accelerated graphics using PaleStar's proprietary Medusa engine!

Command over 18 unique spacecraft and installations from the three warring factions!

Dynamic stereo rendered environmental sound, ranging from the crackling hum of alien particle beams splitting 5-kilometer capital ships in half to
the frantic radio distress calls from allied ships on the verge of destruction!

Massive planets, asteroid fields, orbiting moons, brilliant stars, wormholes, and black holes rendered in beautiful detail!

Real time particle systems showing ship damage, torpedo impacts, nebulas and various other gorgeous effects will startle the senses!

Players subscribe and participate in massively multiplayer world shattering campaigns, receive dynamic content updates of new ship types, new races, technology, and strategies that will make the game virtually replayable.

Global Ranking boards keep an active career report on players: tracking ranks, achievements, kills, campaign wins and a host of other statistics and accolades, such as Merit badges, medals and commendations. Subscribing members only!

Team play capability supporting anywhere from 1 on 1 skirmishes to an all out 200-player grand scale war with a full host of capital ships, frigates,
interceptors, multi-atmospheric bomber squadrons, orbiting battle platforms, stealth craft, marines boarding ships and assaulting planets. Zero- G
commando units and over 25 unique weapons systems with each faction having its own specialized weapons!

Use the intuitive command system to send orders to subordinates, allowing player-to-player communications with a click of the mouse. View your ship
status from the Engineering window, setting repair priorities and viewing the state of ship's systems and weapons!

The game play supports a variety of skill levels. New players will be commissioned on a smaller, less complicated craft learning how to handle
basic tasks and eventually gaining prestige and rank to take on more responsibility and command!

Various victory conditions in different scenarios will challenge even the most skilled players allowing a multitude of strategies and attacks.
Intuitive control allows players to set waypoints, pre-plot hyperspace travel routes, and move fluidly through the universe!

The Fog of War requires stealth and scouting to know the enemy's location and win the battle. Spies can raid enemy installations and gather valuable
intelligence on fleet locations and technology. Spy drones can be attached to enemy ships to intercept valuable enemy communications!

Over 49 types of versatile starship enhancements, ensuring each player becomes a vital team-member!

er..... one problem..... i dont think this is up to date.

one of two things needs to happen here. you guys should update your Game design doc to more accuratly describe the current DS.... or you should strive to make DS like this.

SpaceGK
Marshal
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2010-01-12 23:02   
i noticed a few things aboit that a few weeks ago... spies and spy drones, and black holes?

serious question: was there ever black holes? i know thwres wormholes but ive never heard of any blackholes...

Spicker
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-13 03:30   
Quote:

On 2010-01-12 19:47, Fast Defiance*XO* wrote:
Features:

Command over 18 unique spacecraft and installations from the three warring factions!

Dynamic stereo rendered environmental sound, ranging from the crackling hum of alien particle beams splitting 5-kilometer capital ships in half to

Massive planets, asteroid fields, orbiting moons, brilliant stars, wormholes, and black holes rendered in beautiful detail!

Real time particle systems showing ship damage, torpedo impacts, nebulas and various other gorgeous effects will startle the senses!

Players subscribe and participate in massively multiplayer world shattering campaigns, receive dynamic content updates of new ship types, new races, technology, and strategies that will make the game virtually replayable.

Global Ranking boards keep an active career report on players: tracking ranks, achievements, kills, campaign wins and a host of other statistics and accolades, such as Merit badges, medals and commendations. Subscribing members only!

Team play capability supporting anywhere from 1 on 1 skirmishes to an all out 200-player grand scale war with a full host of capital ships, frigates,
interceptors, multi-atmospheric bomber squadrons, orbiting battle platforms, stealth craft, marines boarding ships and assaulting planets. Zero- G
commando units and over 25 unique weapons systems with each faction having its own specialized weapons!

Use the intuitive command system to send orders to subordinates, allowing player-to-player communications with a click of the mouse. View your ship
status from the Engineering window, setting repair priorities and viewing the state of ship's systems and weapons!

The game play supports a variety of skill levels. New players will be commissioned on a smaller, less complicated craft learning how to handle
basic tasks and eventually gaining prestige and rank to take on more responsibility and command!

Various victory conditions in different scenarios will challenge even the most skilled players allowing a multitude of strategies and attacks.
Intuitive control allows players to set waypoints, pre-plot hyperspace travel routes, and move fluidly through the universe!

The Fog of War requires stealth and scouting to know the enemy's location and win the battle. Spies can raid enemy installations and gather valuable
intelligence on fleet locations and technology. Spy drones can be attached to enemy ships to intercept valuable enemy communications!

Over 49 types of versatile starship enhancements, ensuring each player becomes a vital team-member!

er..... one problem..... i dont think this is up to date.

one of two things needs to happen here. you guys should update your Game design doc to more accuratly describe the current DS.... or you should strive to make DS like this.

Agree.

Veronw
Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-13 15:14   
well, sounds like what every other MMO puts out..

BackAlley
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-01-13 20:09   
I remember when I first started playing. I spent weeks looking for black holes.... I finally asked someone and found out there wasn't any

Email BackAlley   Goto the website of BackAlley
Mr.Grim[Loyalist]
Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-13 20:24   
Quote:

On 2010-01-12 19:47, Fast Defiance*XO* wrote:
Features:

what game is this it sounds great where can i find it?

James 296
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2010-01-14 00:43   
i still have the box from oooh so many yrs ago, when there were "thousands of other players"

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-14 01:27   
Found this game on the 10 dollar rack at a game shop one day. Read the back and it sounded cool. I get on and enter the free 2 week code and started playing. It was fun and enjoyable, when the 2 weeks ended I shelved the game for a while. I come back a few months before 1.5 was in beta and started back up on a new account. Made it to 2nd RA before 1.5 hit and that was the saddest day of DS I knew that system would be a bad idea from the start but protests went on deaf ears. Lost a fun ship that day too the Worm Hole cruiser, and lost the modding of ship systems from stolen tech. Also lost the big MV too and had to figure out, out of those servers what the "main MV" was. Made it to VA before getting fed up with the nerf bat (and dev attitude toward) that was hitting ICC and left. Come back to this about 3 mos ago and find it in the same pathetic version it is in now. That game description I read long ago that got me to this game is now all lost on this. The spark that drew me to this in the first place is gone, the wow factor of seeing a dread take down another while I was in a frigate is now diminished. Now the support for this game is waning with more and more people getting fed up with the devs arrogance and "I know better then you" attitude. I continue to play this game in hopes that one day ideas will be heard and Dark Spaces glory days can return to us once again. Till then I will help this struggling game along with helping to keep somewhat of a player balance. I will hope, and wait.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-01-14 05:09   
Quote:

On 2010-01-14 01:27, Fast Starcommander*CO* wrote:
Found this game on the 10 dollar rack at a game shop one day. Read the back and it sounded cool. I get on and enter the free 2 week code and started playing. It was fun and enjoyable, when the 2 weeks ended I shelved the game for a while. I come back a few months before 1.5 was in beta and started back up on a new account. Made it to 2nd RA before 1.5 hit and that was the saddest day of DS I knew that system would be a bad idea from the start but protests went on deaf ears. Lost a fun ship that day too the Worm Hole cruiser, and lost the modding of ship systems from stolen tech. Also lost the big MV too and had to figure out, out of those servers what the "main MV" was. Made it to VA before getting fed up with the nerf bat (and dev attitude toward) that was hitting ICC and left. Come back to this about 3 mos ago and find it in the same pathetic version it is in now. That game description I read long ago that got me to this game is now all lost on this. The spark that drew me to this in the first place is gone, the wow factor of seeing a dread take down another while I was in a frigate is now diminished. Now the support for this game is waning with more and more people getting fed up with the devs arrogance and "I know better then you" attitude. I continue to play this game in hopes that one day ideas will be heard and Dark Spaces glory days can return to us once again. Till then I will help this struggling game along with helping to keep somewhat of a player balance. I will hope, and wait.

Not quite sure what you're on about... We buffed ICC a few months ago, and still are with constant mass tweaks. Your ships now have more resilience and have a turning/acceleration advantage over most ships. We hit ICC hardest in the players eyes because we fixed a bug that was causing your shields to be far too powerful, and removed a few ships that made the playing field unbalanced.

On the dev arrogance part, usually developers know a lot more about the game than the players (might be hard to read, but it's true). We have tools that allow us to do and see all sorts, whereas you do not. Most of us are not professional game developers, and we're not experts in PR (except Drafell), so sometimes what we say can come off wrongly, but the concept is still the same; we can see what you cannot, and that makes a huge difference when making decisions about the game.

We wish we had a 50 man professional team that could bring DarkSpace up-to-date, but balance is something even the most experienced man has issues with, due to the nature of the beast that is game development. Balance will always tip from one side to the other, and there is nothing that can be done about that as there's no such thing as perfect balance.

Overall, we try our hardest, and whilst I think most of your comments are slightly impertinent, I hope I answered your doubts somewhat.

ON-TOPIC, I've changed the about page slightly, replaced spy drones with beacons and updated the number of ships. Also removed the bit about black holes .

- J

[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-01-14 05:14 ]

CM7
Midshipman
Faster than Light

Posted: 2010-01-14 06:21   
why thank you backslash.

in no way was i trying to put down the game or its dev team..

im just trying to pry my way into the dev team

wondering how many of you have a BS in game design?
i get my BS in game design in september!! huray!!!
[ This Message was edited by: Fast Defiance*XO* on 2010-01-14 06:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Fast Defiance*XO* on 2010-01-14 06:26 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2010-01-14 06:31   
hey Def. working on the same degree lol. Maybe we should get together and MAKE that wonderful game you found the nice description for, since it apparently does not and will not exist.

Seems there is a lot of interest in a GAME LIKE THAT.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Pegasus
Grand Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2010-01-14 08:15   
[quote]
On 2010-01-14 05:09, BackSlash wrote:
Quote:

On the dev arrogance part, usually developers know a lot more about the game than the players (might be hard to read, but it's true). We have tools that allow us to do and see all sorts, whereas you do not. Most of us are not professional game developers, and we're not experts in PR (except Drafell), so sometimes what we say can come off wrongly, but the concept is still the same; we can see what you cannot, and that makes a huge difference when making decisions about the game.
We wish we had a 50 man professional team that could bring DarkSpace up-to-date, but balance is something even the most experienced man has issues with, due to the nature of the beast that is game development. Balance will always tip from one side to the other, and there is nothing that can be done about that as there's no such thing as perfect balance.

While I admire you Jack and some of the other mods/devs who contribute their free time to improve Darkspace, and I understand that with such a small team that progress can be quite slow (I understand Vendetta Online runs with 4 devs to compare), and while I agree that developers know the structure and the mechanics of the game more than Mr Joe Bloggs like us who spacebar mashes his way through the ranks and plays Darkspace as a gaming hobby, I still believe that it is the paying customers who know more about what direction they want the game they pay for to go in. Because if the customers dont see a direction viewed by an public opinon then they just dwindle and go somewhere else, and then Darkspace loses revenue, and this is what is happening or has been happening for a number of years.
But I dont feel that Faustus and others really listen to us the (paying community) and with V1.5 been out for a year now, Darkspace has not really made any headway other than fixing bugs or adding/removing features.
Alot of talk has been stirred lately about how the older players want modding back, alot of the newer players who dont remember such an option want to see a more streamline enchancement structure, with purchasing has a tier leveling between ranks. (no doubt something like this will be melded into the mission system when ever that comes out of alpha).
There are alot of great ideas floating around but I think these can be ultilise and captured better if we can manage the community as a whole better. We should ultilise the beta suggestion forum more, or make it more in your face on the front page so other players can see it and make suggestions, though while this forum is available to be access by all even unsubbed/non-paying members ideas that can be contributed into a sensible discussion are often shot down in flames by those who just dont participate in helping Darkspace as a whole. Alot of these ideas are often discussed while playing the game, but they dont find their way to the forums because maybe that creator of the topic feels it will only be ignored.

What I would like to see to help encourage morale with the game and help players to group together to discuss on a "adult" level is a sort of mailbag, much like what WW2Online: Battleground Europe do, members of the community can send questions in, and every 2-4 weeks these are answered and they can be anything to do with current bugs to new features to when is such and such going to be released.
I would also like to see Richard "Faustus" Lyle make more of a positive regular apperance with "his" project, I know he always get a warm reception when he does, maybe he does but more on a USA time zone, we the rest of the world just do not see him. Maybe he could do a IRC style chat in the lobby "moderated" monthly so that questions can be fired and answered, like how the arc bug is going to be fixed and stop giving the icc an advantage when using the MD because of the arc bug, to more infrastructure ideas on whether we can see more expanded options of paying again than just paypal. that sort of thing.
Obviously all of the above takes away time from the dev/mod other duties whether its real life or helping fix the game.
I do my bit for Darkspace, I pay for two accounts as I am sure a few other players here do the same, thats a fraction under $20 in Faustus pocket in keeping this game running. While I have a gripe or grumble over faction chat about certain aspects of the game, and I have left Darkspace on numurous occasions, once even sending Faustus an email saying how disappointed I was, it is very hard to stay away because even with the holes in the design and the cracks in the gameplay it is just to damn addictive to say goodbye too, and we just have to accept and admire what we have as there is nothing else out there like Darkspace, unless you count Star Trek Online 3D combat which comes fairly close.
While the devs/mod think they know whats best maybe its time to think of change, making PR post on mmorpg might bring in a small amount of attention (Credit to Draf for doing so), things can be done to get the older community that are under your noses who have hung around the lobby find otu what they want and get them subbing again.

Sardaukar
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2010-01-14 08:18   
Quote:

On 2010-01-14 08:15, Pegasus wrote:
tl;dr

Most of the paying customers really, really wanted shipyards and the new cloak and look how happy they were with those.

BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2010-01-14 08:23   
Richard is a busy man, and you'd have better luck emailing him for a reply, and if you want more of a public appearance from our leader, then you'd be best emailing him asking him for that.

On the other hand, it is a busy time of the year, and I'm sure you'll understand he has a busy life working full time, taking care of a family, and then having to work on DarkSpace too .

Do understand that we DO listen to you guys, it's just that more often than not we do not have the knowledge to make the changes on a large scale. There's also planning, discussions as to how to go about it... It's a timely processes, and one that isn't hurried along by our amateur status. However, as I'm sure you've noticed, the dev team is ever-growing.

If you have any C++, or game development experience, email Richard. We could always use more help.

Anyway, going to lock this thread as it's on the edge of becoming dangerously off-topic and volatile . If you find anymore website anomalies with text/etc, feel free to post them.
[ This Message was edited by: BackSlash on 2010-01-14 08:27 ]

Page created in 0.026911 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR