Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.3 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Annoying Luyten
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Annoying Luyten
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-06 22:05   
On second thought, the center galaxy should be dynamic (easy to capture). Perhaps a one or two lone terran planets and a few barren clusters with one ocean/arid/or ice planet with 3 planets at most in loose clusters. Possibly one tight cluster. The reasoning is to promote combat, not planet hugging. That being said, there really needs to be an incentive to control systems.

Email Sens [R33]
Pakhos[+R]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-12-06 22:09   
Quote:

On 2009-12-06 22:05, Mythical Creature with Pointy Ears wrote:
On second thought, the center galaxy should be dynamic (easy to capture). Perhaps a one or two lone terran planets and a few barren clusters with one ocean/arid/or ice planet with 3 planets at most in loose clusters. Possibly one tight cluster. The reasoning is to promote combat, not planet hugging. That being said, there really needs to be an incentive to control systems.

Unrealistic post.

DS logic : more planets --->more hugging.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-07 18:03   
Quote:

On 2009-12-06 22:05, Mythical Creature with Pointy Ears wrote:

This is the most dyslexic of reasoning.

One hand says: there's not enough planets to actually have a decent battle, give us one with some good clusters and a couple terrans for ship yards.

The other hand says, no! Give them less to fight over! That will promote combat!

Ok. Let's get something straight. Having LESS planets is NOT promoting more combat. It is seeing the server capped by one faction "overnight" and then basically they try to hold the other two out. It takes less than 2 hours to cap the entire Sag server, and that's IF I stop to eat a donut and have a cup of coffee along the way.

If the scenario server wasn't stupidly buggy, you'd see only a few die-hard mv players in Sag at all.

Not promoting planet hugging is one thing. Not giving a human fleet anything strategic to anchor to from time to time is K'Luth paradise.

But what would I know?

By the way: Your description of what you think we should have IS what we have, and everyone hates it and thinks it's ridiculous. Have you seen the Luyten system? 2 seperate barren planets, one perma-pirate. Then a 5 planet cluster -4 barrens around I believe an ocean or maybe an ice planet.

Result? This post!!!!!

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-07 18:29   
I meant less clusters. The easier a position is to defend, the more likely a faction will hug it. Reasoning is planets shoud be an advantage, not a solid 400 foot high wall. More fluidity, more combat. Spread out the planets, add incentives for holding more planets, let the carnage begin.

edit: less clusters != less planets
[ This Message was edited by: Mythical Creature with Pointy Ears on 2009-12-07 18:30 ]

Email Sens [R33]
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-07 18:50   
In light of your clarification, I stand by my previous statements.
In every single way.

Less planets = at least one faction with zero planets at all times. Those players with no planets will not fight against an entire fleet to try to recap a system, which is constantly proven time and again.

Players just log out, go to scenario, RR, or Proc servers, then return to Sag when they have all the numbers. Then they recap, and usually push on to shove another faction out of the MV in revenge. Then that faction does same thing.

We had more combat when we had more systems.

We had players stay in the MV longer against worse odds, because they could organize a hit 4 systems away from the enemy, gain a toehold, and maintain it for a while.

Another myth: Planet hugging kills combat. Not true. Makes it more difficult, sure, but planet hugging has always been and will always be in the game. Nothing any dev will do will stop it short of removing planets. Players dealt with it fine all the time before. People with 3 year old accts and under are the ones who cry about it.

Hey. Guess what. It's called a tactic. Wolf has both ways to counter it and ways to execute it. Paper, rock, scissors, people!

Question. Planning on removing depots? Why not? We have supply plats and how many ships with rep drones now?

Why have depots if you dont want planet hugging.

Hey. Planning to remove planetary ecm? Why have it? It promotes planet hugging of K'Luth.

And I'd like to ask. You have 1 planet left, and it's one of the 8 barrens left in your system. You lose this one, your out of the server. You have 3 allies, looks like 8 K'Luth.

Question: You going to tell me you AREN'T going to hug that barren piece of crap rock?

This path will only lead to less and less combat in the MV. It will never trend to more, without removing planets all together.

Then we can name it EmptySpace.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-09 03:25   
anything getting worked on here? be nice to see a new center system soon.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-30 18:31   
I'd like to work on a system, but Im not sure what I could create it using. Any suggestions?

I dont have photoshop and all that yet, either, btw.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-30 18:41   
MS Paint

Email Sens [R33]
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-30 19:51   
1) sheet of graph paper and a pencil (old school huh?)
2) excel or openoffice (columns for x, y coords, and graph it)
3) google for "star system generator" has some neat tools, astrosynthesis (i like the 2d image export) for one on the complex side, or perhaps something a little more simplistic
[ This Message was edited by: Doran on 2009-12-30 19:57 ]

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-30 20:04   
lol. If u want it hand drawn, I can do that.

I was thinking something clean and presentable for ya'll really.

I'll give the links a shot. I have a pretty good idea I think. I'll post it here in the next couple days.

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-30 20:42   
When I redesigned the MV into the constellation-style system, I used about a dozen sheets of graph paper. Well, probably about thirty, really, including drafts, but I just set a sheet as being a couple hundred gu across, labeled the lines appropriately, and did some drawing with a pencil, ruler, and compass. Pretty simple.

The distances weren't exact, but I did my best with a calculator and a bit of trigonometry. Then I just was able to read off the sheets as I typed it into the Resourcer -- quite simple, really.

Alternately, you can draw up the layout yourself and just type up the planet names and coords into a simple list or spreadsheet - all we really need is Name, x, y, and planet type. Not hard to just list.

(Also, I was going to do this myself but ended up getting de-deved. I haven't really done much since.)

Email Shigernafy
Doran
Chief Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-12-30 20:49   
Quote:

On 2009-12-30 20:42, Shigernafy wrote:
a calculator and a bit of trigonometry.

stay in school kids, there will be a quiz later, this stuff will be useful later in life.

Point Of No Return
Chief Marshal
United Nations Space Command

Posted: 2009-12-30 21:10   
Before thinking of replacing a map in the mythical hope of creating more combat consider fixing the issues with transports being able to handle more punishment than most combat ships which has led to the infamous tranny rushes. And as for getting more combat you already know how to fix that, just undo what you have done already. If you have to ask what it is then you just continued

Fatal Rocko Willis
Fleet Admiral
Fatal Squadron

Posted: 2009-12-31 08:26   
Quote:

On 2009-11-23 13:10, ThuggieGenuineDraft wrote:
I agree with Azreal

niccea

nicea was the shizzles back in the days, i miss umbrella cluster, the u1 through u 8, multiple suns for maximum solar gen outputs oh ya

niccea gets my vote

Amen... ANd each planet in the Umbrella Cluster had 26 def too! but with the new research requirements we should still be able to get 16-20 def per planet...

>:-)

Email Fatal Rocko Willis
Reek Havoc *XO*
Chief Marshal
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2009-12-31 15:34   
...and this is the part where they all told us math would help you someday.... none of you listened, good job. LOL..

So somewhere in the beginning of this thread it was stated that luyten was central to combat. Here is my suggection Shig on a map for this system:

1 Sun,

3 clustered of systems, each with a flag planet that is script locked to it's respectiv faction. The other 2 planets should be 1 of each Arid/Ice and barren.

Perhaps a 4th system for limited AI spawnevent spawn/ script spawn point.... (Whatever happen to elites and enhancements in this patch?)

This should keep combat focused in the central location, prevent un warrante bombing with script locked flag planets and allow for an ongoing combat arena in the actual mv.

I would be happy to submit a map if requested or help work on one.

Just my 2 cents,

Happy New Year!

-RH

DarkSpace: ICCU (Fleet tag: =ICC=) is always recruiting ICC pilots! (/clan join =ICC=)

Goto the website of Reek Havoc *XO*
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.021569 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR