Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +2.0 Days

Search

Anniversaries

20th - Relient
19th - Entil-Zha the Starkiller

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Annoying Luyten
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
 Author Annoying Luyten
Jar Jar Binks
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-23 13:56   
Quote:

On 2009-11-22 17:18, Shigernafy wrote:
We have a variety of old maps, if you want to suggest a substitute. Alternately, I can just make a new one..

i'd like the older MV back that had all systems on one server

should perhaps be doable now that we have fewer planets?

Coombie
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-11-24 06:05   
You do relise that 1 faction will own said system within days, clusters make it very easy for few to defend against many.

Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2009-11-24 17:54   
Quote:

On 2009-11-24 06:05, Coombie wrote:
You do relise that 1 faction will own said system within days, clusters make it very easy for few to defend against many.

Almost anything will be better than the current Luyten system and of course I know that one faction will hold the entire system a good amount of the time. 3 small clusters will be much harder to defend than the one single cluster there now, especially if they are spread out around the sun.
Once the invading faction does cap a cluster, they will be hard to chase back out, unlike the way it is now...

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-24 18:02   
You may have noticed a lack of Nicea in ANY of the MV maps since it was originally removed. This isn't an accident. Once support was dropped for the Editor, the ability to view or edit old maps was also removed, and we don't have a layout for Nicea in the Resourcer -- most of the maps there are older or newer than the time when the Editor was a primary dev tool. In other words, Nicea is gone; let it go.

plus, personally I'm not a big fan, but its mostly a technical barrier, not personal bias

Email Shigernafy
Silent Threat { Vier }
Marshal
Anarchy's End

Posted: 2009-11-28 18:21   
so no changes? I don't really care what, just anything other than the way it is now...

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-28 19:11   
Quote:

On 2009-11-22 18:12, Azreal wrote:
Nicea.
Or something like it.

That was all I was asking.

Nobody is married to Nicea. It's the way the system was set up.

Eh. NM. Alls well as it is.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-29 09:04   
Like I said, I just wasn't a big fan of Nicea.. but that's mostly because every time I would venture into it, I would get a huge blob of fighters after me. Or I'd get reports that Nicea was lagging out. It just seemed like a headache. But I'm willing to bow to the will of the populace if its clearly expressed.

But with Nicea, I didn't play much in those days. And I avoided Nicea -- so I don't really remember its layout. If you want to suggest a layout or can sketch up a sample (of Nicea or something similar that you would like) I can try to make it into a map. But Nicea itself is unavailable in its old form.

I'm completely willing to change it (and in fact I used to try to keep something else in the center, like eps car, so I recognize that Luyten isn't that nice) and can make some edits once I'm back from this holiday weekend (and back to my home computer). But if you don't suggest something specific, I can't make it how you want.

[ This Message was edited by: Shigernafy on 2009-11-29 09:08 ]

Email Shigernafy
Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-29 19:23   
since my first post here was ignored gonna say it again (maybe different got some more ideas).

For one clusters are great, as it was said before they can be defended by a few against many.

Lets start with the star in the center. Should be a binary star to allow solar generators to be a viable option for barren planets. Ok First cluster, Should be a good 3-6k from the star (center planet). Center planet should be an Arid planet (Med or Large), with a Tiny (the size of Lesser boonie) barren moon about 500gu from the planet and another moon barren (Med or Small) 1.2k from the center planet and (if the first moon was the 6 o'clock positions) at about 10 o'clock. This cluster should have the gate from this system to R33,
Gate should be 2.5-4k from center planet

Cluster 2: Should be at 9k from the star and (again if cluster 1 was at the 6) at the 3 position. Center planet will be a Terran planet (Med) with an Ice planet(small size of Acrutus A) in orbit 800gu from the tarren and on the dark side of the terran (since there are no planets moving in this that planet would be an ice). Put another Barren planet (small) 1.5k gu from the tarren and in the 12 position. Gate should be from here to BD system 3-4.5k from center planet.

Cluster 3: Should be 15k from the star and be at the 10 position. Center planet should be an Ice planet (large). With one small Ice planet 800gu from center and another small Ice planet 1.2k from center (to prevent any ships spawning from center planet to run into the moons). Both moons should be on opposite sides from one another. This one is the gate that leads to the Eri system, gate should be 2-4k from center.

The rest: A large Tarren (solo) planet near the jump lane between cluster 1 and 2. A twin planet cluster of 2 barren planets, main is large moon is med. Twin planets are between cluster 2 and 3. A lone arid planet (gigantic) near or in the way between clusters 1 and 3. Near the star (opposite from cluster 1) will be the Pirate planet (large barren) with the gate from this system to Krypons star. Roagens Rift gate will be 18k from star and should be as far as it can be from Clusters 2 and 3.

This is just an idea I had for a highly defendable system but at the same time still can be taken. the lone planets in between the clusters serve as launching points into the cluster. I by no means am a fan of the large or gigantic (like upper acta was) sized planets. They are extremely hard to defend with a 32 building cap. Tiny planets (like lesser boonie) are much more suited to pure DEF planets full of Hybrid or Offensive type bases. Gates are far enough out from the planets that palnet def shouldn't be able to shoot them but player missiles (IT missiles) still can (much how like upper and lower acta were in the cinci system). I am a mapper and love to make things like this. Whenever I come up with one I think of both how to defend it but also how am I going to cap it if I lose it. Combat here should be fierce and since most combat is fought near planets this should stimulate more.

This is just 1 of many ideas for some good combat systems. I have other ideas if you want it to look more natural (like it really would happen not just these are made this way cuz we wanted them that way). This one is a good system (with the 3 ice planets that may have the highest advantage in self defending) but all of the clusters have there drawbacks as well as there advantages. Just the angle of attack is what makes these clusters lose or win against an invadeing fleet.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-02 18:46   
I like pictures. That's probably why I ignored it.

Or .. glossed over it anyway. I haven't had a chance yet to sit down and play around with system design, so I hadn't looked at the thread in depth. I will try to whip up a design soon though.

Email Shigernafy
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-12-02 19:32   
Quote:
On 2009-12-02 18:46, Shigernafy wrote:
I like pictures. That's probably why I ignored it.

Or .. glossed over it anyway. I haven't had a chance yet to sit down and play around with system design, so I hadn't looked at the thread in depth. I will try to whip up a design soon though.

put in some small systems that you made before, you know the one's i drew for you....
Ok there to plain but Frob will Kiss you if you put "van fleet" or "Heinessen" in the game. (and he may kill me for suggesting this).

MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-02 20:23   
Unfortunately the maps I like that I would like Luyten replaced with are already somewhere else in the MV.

EDIT: I would like to see Procyon as Luyten's replacement. That's my favorite map. But it's currently being used in a useless server that's rarely visited.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-12-02 22:44 ]

Pyruvic
Fleet Admiral
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2009-12-02 21:38   
Quote:

On 2009-11-29 19:23, Fatal Starcommander -TNCO- wrote:

Lets start with the star in the center. Should be a binary star to allow solar generators to be a viable option for barren planets.

I vote trinary. Or quateranary. Then the amount of defense bases would be obscene. ^^

Sauur
Chief Marshal
Praetorian Wolves

Posted: 2009-12-06 20:10   
Definitely all for a new system in the middle - something with a couple of clusters and a couple of lone planets for the invading faction.

As Silent said - unfortunately Luten in just a poor central system.

Someone mentioned having a large system for the middle - I don't mind this - but would we would lose alot of the focus on the close planet fighting that is about all I enjoy about the Luyten system. Watching each other over 4-8k of space has some merit.

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-06 21:46   
Here are 2 more systems (with Pics). I used Galaxy Forge to show the placement of planets. All the asteroid planets represent Barren type planets and Desert represent Arid. WH are gates and the rest is easy. All primary planets should be Med-Large size with the orbiting planets Small-Med. All solo planets should be Large size.

Claus Baccti (suggested name)

A binary star system on the edges of the new frontier teaming with life. From servery of this system it looks like when the 2 stars started to merge most of the planets became habitable. No intelligent life seems to be on any of the 7 tarren type planets in this system. Now a hot bed for the war, the 3 factions race to take this new system full of untapped resources.

The pic shows suggested spaces (in gu) of orbits around the planets. I just was guessing on numbers for the size of the system and with orbits around planets (if I could actually see the orbits while I place them it would be nice but as there is no map "editor" for DS gotta go with guessing). Any planet that is solo its orbit is around the sun (should be obvious). The circled twin Ice planets should be moved to the empty circled space (was just quickly making this and forgot to move some stuff). the WH are where the gates should be (the MI one again I forgot about so just pace it where the words are).

Fernallis-442001A (suggested name)

A new system discovered near the border between all 3 factions. A Binary star system with a few taren planets and other natural resources. This system will be beneficial to any who own it for a leap into either of the other factions space. The Fighting here will be fierce.

this is the map I described in the other post, here just the name and pic of it.

Hope you all like these suggestions!

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Starcommander -TNCO- on 2009-12-06 21:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Fatal Starcommander -TNCO- on 2009-12-07 18:55 ]

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-12-06 21:49   
I not only like the suggestions, I want that to be our F2 screen!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Page created in 0.017475 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR