No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +24.0 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » ICC Ion Cannon
 Author ICC Ion Cannon
Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-17 13:39   
Hey there,

Just putting this out there, all of ICC's ranged weapons are limited by ammo. This is a small but liveable pain in the butt.

the question I have is why is the Ion CANNON ammoed? QST is a torpedo so it should have ammo. Gauss and Rails are guns that use ammo. But the Ion is the only "Cannon" in the game that uses ammo.

shouldn’t Ion Cannon be unlimited?
if not then why don't "particle" cannons have a limited ammo?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-17 19:19   
while the nomeclature argument is irrelevant at best, you should know the ion cannon fires TWO volleys and has the highest potential damage off all three core weapons per shot.

Email Sens [R33]
Ants
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-17 19:53   
Quote:

On 2009-11-17 19:19, Sensitivity wrote:
while the nomeclature argument is irrelevant at best, you should know the ion cannon fires TWO volleys and has the highest potential damage off all three core weapons per shot.

And?

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-17 20:53   
Nothing, just an interesting tidbit. Frankly I'm impartial to this issue.

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-11-23 05:08   
Quote:
On 2009-11-17 13:39, Fatal Ants *XO* wrote:
the question I have is why is the Ion CANNON ammoed? QST is a torpedo so it should have ammo.

QST or full, Quantum Singularity Torpedo doesn't use ammo.
It uses the same principle as the known torpedo's in the game, let me quote the Ftorp.[quote]Fusion Torpedo
Is a projection of an active nuclear reaction suspended inside of a decaying magnetic field, which is maintained by a small control module.
These torpedoes have have their warhead supplied by a cache of deuterium on board the vessel, which excited it to a state of fusion in a specialized reactor before containment in it’s field mere micro seconds before launch.
This allowes the weapon to have a low mass combined with great projectile speed and ammo capacity but at a limited range.[/quot]Other weapons use the same principle. a detonation contained in a magnetic or psi field while lobbing it toward its target.
What is the QST? a bigger version not containing a explosion but inside the magnetic field a unstable artificial Quantum Singularity resides.
The Quantum Singularity is nothing but a micro Black hole. how you create those? it is unknown but i can bet it has something to do with power as a general concept, as energy, gravity or particle emission. either way i find it unlikely that it might require a certain substance to server as catalyst becoming the weapons ammo..
but enough theories, about the QST.

The Ion cannon on the other hand is a mystery to me. maybe we can ask Frob to think of something about the theory behind that one.
But why is the Ion Cannon ammo based? i have no clue but seeing as how ICC is the ammo faction i think that is the primary reason. But what is wrong with it beeing a ammo weapon, that will require the weapon to use more energy to ballance it out again..
I'm asking what is your primairy reason to complain, you run out of ammo, or are just wondering why? if the second i hope i have explained a bit.

Still feel free to reply.
E.

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-23 08:55   
In my own writing for weapons (thanks for reminding me I need to post those, ele) the Ion Cannon is just a glorified rail gun. Instead of using electricity to fire it like the rail gun, or triple timed chambers like the gauss, it uses the same principle of the Ion engine to fire the round. Theirs capability for rapid firing, but two is generally considered safe since anything more tends to leave residue ion particles in the barrel, which could explode if another round is fired (thus damaging the barrel). The sound effect you hear is the round leaving the barrel, as it echoes throught out the ship.

I really haven't written up anything for the QST, but it basically just gobbles up a ton of energy (either from a wormhole style generator) in a small casing and then shunts it out a barrel towards a target.

Also, game balance reason: ICC always have ammo limits because their aggregrate battle strength over time is higher then any other faction. Without reloads they would need to break off an attack eventually to re-ammo

Starcommander
Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-23 21:21   
Both the QST and the Ion Cannon run out of ammo real fast, yet the SI is unlimited. I understand the reasoning behind the SI beaning its an organic shot fired from an organic ship but the Ion and QST need ammo? Just increase the energy cost of Ion's and QST's to represent the power needed to make such a thing. Maybe higher for the QST since it is more of a black hole device and would require tons of power to make. Ion's energy cost maybe up about 1/2 a time, ICC has enough energy costs as it is. So implement these changes after you fix ICC's power issues. The Ion would make perfect sense to be unlimited since all ICC ships use IE drives or something like it to move, so they would be pulling the particles from the drive.

An idea, for ICC, would be to have the ammo limit show up if you didn't have more then 2 IE drives on your ship since there wouldn't be enough particles to pull. Same with the QST when a ship has a WH device (ok so it would only work for the SS, BS, and SCB for them) but it would make logical sense to do that.

It is nice that the Ion is in fact second in the max damage it can put out but it is still tricky to get both of those Ion shots to hit at range. However when they do hit it is nice to see like Kluth armor just fall to peaces to those things. Its the only hard hitting gun we have and its a perfact thing to have to make up for all those pea shooters called Railguns.

WH 40k armies, Grey Knights, Dark Angles, Imperial Guard (Vostroyan First Born) and Orks.

There is a thin line between knowing when to give up and when to try harder.

Email Starcommander
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-11-24 11:19   
No comment you you Starcommand,
But you did remind me of something...
Quote:
On 2009-11-23 21:21, Fatal Starcommander -TNCO- wrote:yet the SI is unlimited. I understand the reasoning behind the SI beaning its an organic shot fired from an organic ship

K'Luth
They don't reload there missiles they re-grow them. So i would still want to see the missile recharge time increased and ammo removed..

E.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-25 22:44   
sounds reasonable to me...

Email Sens [R33]
Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-11-30 02:56   
back in .483, the Ion cannon, Stellar Incinerator, and Quantum Singularity Torpedo DID use up a CRAPTON of energy to fire. i am pretty sure people remember that.

but as it sits, the Ion Cannon is pretty wieldy on the AD and CD, they do respectable damage. i say leave them alone. i suggest, since it is called an Ion cannon, how about the ship that has the cannons has a store of ions on board that they load up before it fires it? you know when you fire the ion cannon, there is a few seconds delay before it fires. i suggest that it takes Ions from the storage canisters on board into the magnetic field then fires it. the number ammo count on the IC is representative of how much Ions the canisters have left. you can't make Ions out of thin air. the canisters could have a special volatile ion in there to use as the explosive, and have to be reloaded when you run out.

just my .02 cents.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-30 16:29   
You don't store ions, you make them. Ions are charged particles; the principle behind an ion cannon is accelerating a dense slug at high velocities using a (presumably) electrostatic force. Simply put, the cannon charges particles making ions and accelerates them out with a projectile.

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-12-07 03:56   
How do you create ions?
Well you got engines right, when you use a substance to convert to another energy you likely to generate Ions, gather them and you have what it takes to fire your Ion Cannon slug.

But Leo your idea is sound, unfortunately i don't find it fitting to Human tech at all.
Think Luth, Like i said above, luth should grow there missiles.
How about a device that holds like you say, "biomass" and distributes this to the various weapons that require it to reload. Missiles, Torpedo's, Fighters, Stellar incinerators. when the device runs out the gadgets can no longer recharge.
It might be nice that the device has a second function, like reload itself at the consumption of resources.

But hey, who am i. i may like this idea, but how about you?
For once i am not for a single central ammunition place on board Human ships. For a single type of ammo is something else. but that creates a little fiction problem. (Moving around ammunition inside a ship like a repair kit?).
As i said above, Luth however don't have that limitation since it grows there tools.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-12-07 18:25   
A slug made out of ions wouldn't be a slug at all. Gaseous elements are most commonly ionized by stripping them of their electrons making plasma. To be blunt, you don't have dense slugs of plasma... ever. Sure, we can go with your idea, but ion cannons would be purely energy damage for that case.

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-12-09 04:26   
Quote:
On 2009-12-07 18:25, Mythical Creature with Pointy Ears wrote:
A slug made out of ions wouldn't be a slug at all. Gaseous elements are most commonly ionized by stripping them of their electrons making plasma. To be blunt, you don't have dense slugs of plasma... ever. Sure, we can go with your idea, but ion cannons would be purely energy damage for that case.

if its Pure ions you shoot then yes.
But i think ICC is just using the principles of Ion Propulsion to propel a Round towards a target.

Page created in 0.030267 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR