No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +5.5 Days

Search

Anniversaries

21th - Chubba

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » English (General) » » Idea: New building messages ingame
 Author Idea: New building messages ingame
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-08 10:37   
We all know that sabotage occurs. We all have times when we suspect it, but have no way of proving it and no way of knowing who might be doing it.

Here's my suggestion, and I hope it's a simple one:

Instead of a paused building saying INACTIVE in the box in the lower right (the box that shows all the building's info, you know the one), have it say PAUSED: Playername. We already see a message ingame whenever someone pauses or scraps a building, but if you aren't there to witness it what good is it right? PAUSED: Playername is tons more useful that INACTIVE.

I suggest the same thing for when a planet is locked. Instead of saying Midshipman (for unlocked), Lieutenant Commander, Vice Admiral, Grand Admiral etc. have it say Mid, LC: Playername, VA: Playername, GA: Playername (I'm thinking abbreviations for the ranks would fit better).

I also suggested in another thread that we get an ingame message whenever someone locks a planet, like we do when someone pauses or scraps a building. It's just to prevent disputes I've been seeing.

I'm hoping none of these suggestions are hard to implement. The server already knows who's doing the pausing and locking, and we see the message ingame when a building is paused. So how hard would it be for the little box in the lower right to show this same info, or for the planet to show who locked it instead of just the rank?

Sag server was FULL last night, and if we start getting more players we will be seeing more and more suspected cases of sabotage. With a way for people to know who's going around pausing generators, we might curb the trend or at least know who's doing it.

This suggestion isn't so we can start accusing everyone of sabotage all the time. Let's face it, if you see a planet in Sag with some defense bases paused by a well known or high ranked player, you won't suspect sabotage; you'll more likely suspect that something happened to the planet and some buildings need to be paused to get farms working again or something. BUT if you see generators paused in your home server, where people usually do not play, then see it being invaded later, you're gonna suspect sabotage.

I thought of this suggestion after reading this in chat:

03:21:55 [=Wolf=]ADmiraLMaXimus (Bringer of Doom): "i just looked at some planets in the kluth home server and i have see some of our planets power turned off along with other structures and i am letting you new guys know that is sabotage to join a server as kluth just to turn off structures and capture it as icc later if you do it again i will post the log in the forum along with screen shots and your account will most likely be banned"
03:22:31 [FS]Fatal Shu Yuuta: "lol wow max mad much lol don't blame ya lol"
03:25:48 [S.W]Crim {Pants?}: "How do you know that it was ICC that did it?"
03:25:57 [S.W]Crim {Pants?}: "Any physical proof?"
03:26:06 [FS]Fatal Shu Yuuta: "cause icc are capping planet there right now"
03:26:23 Pyruvic: "Actually, the better proof is that no one actually plays UGTO anymore"
03:26:25 [FS]Fatal Shu Yuuta: "and there are icc guys on luth home server so lol"
03:26:25 Pyruvic: "gg"
03:26:30 [S.W]Crim {Pants?}: "That isn't proof of anything, just that ICC are capturing planets."

If the buildings showed who did the pausing, players might have the physical proof, making it much easier to report and investigate.

Unfortunately this would do nothing to stop people just scrapping the buildings entirely. But that's not the desired way to sabotage, so I think forcing people to sabotage that way is still better than simply allowing them to pause buildings with no way of knowing who did it.

EDIT: Simply locking every planet at a high rank isn't the solution, since it's been shown that that can have bad consequences if a planet is bombed or suffers a random event, loses pop and farms turn off or something, and nobody high enough rank is around to unlock or fix.
[ This Message was edited by: MrSparkle on 2009-11-09 00:38 ]

-=LoKi=-
Marshal
Imperium

Posted: 2009-11-23 03:41   
Why don`t remove the pause button from buildings.

Email -=LoKi=-
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-23 05:06   
There's many times you want to pause a building, like if the planet has been bombed, you just built a sy but don't have the workers yet, there's a STRIKE or something going on, etc.

PAUSE is extremely useful, but also extremely easy to abuse and exploit since there's no way to know who did it. Like I said, it won't really matter in Sag, but if for some really strange reason you venture in to your home server, notice a few planets have paused generators, and then notice there's a small invasion going on, you're gonna assume sabotage but have no proof whatsoever. If we were shown who paused the buildings, we'd at least have a name to /report for the mods or admins to investigate.

I think it would be a good deterrent too personally.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-23 06:15   
It is not true to say there is no way of knowing who did something to a planet.
That is true of the players, but not certain staff.
If you suspect sabotague, you should do a /report. Tell them the planet you suspect has been sabo'd, as well as what on the planet is sabo'd. They can track it and take action against the offender.
I'd also like to point out that there are so very few cases of actual sabotague. Many times you find buildings off, it is because somebody tried to get a planet back online after a plague. Generally speaking, if a planet is sabo'd, it is taken by the enemy fairly quickly.

That means that for the few cases of sabo that do happen, chances are pretty slim you would catch anyone in the act. I dont think putting names of building pausers on the icon is going to stop that.
If you see a building paused with a name in it, it's going to be your planet and thereby could mean it was meerly paused to allow buildup. If it was sabotague, the planet goes red and you dont see the name on the buildings then at all.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
MrSparkle
Marshal

Posted: 2009-11-23 14:45   
Well this was a direct result of something I saw in chat, that's why I suggested it.

Yeah you can /report it, but how are you gonna know anything happened as a result? I'd at least want to be told "yeah it was sabotage, we caught the guy" rather than be told nothing at all no matter the outcome. But having names is good for us, the players. Like I said, you won't worry if you see a building paused by someone you know. But if it's an unknown player, and it's suspiciously the generators or the labs or something that won't help bring a planet back from a problem, you at least have a name to look out for in the future and a name to /report.

But I doubt this suggestion will even make it past this post, so none of it matters.

Iwancoppa
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-11-23 23:38   
Quote:

On 2009-11-23 14:45, MrSparkle wrote:

But I doubt this suggestion will even make it past this post, so none of it matters.

Sad, because this is a GREAT idea.

Page created in 0.010600 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR