No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 +6.8 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » just wondering
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
 Author just wondering
Krim {C?}
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-10-21 13:45   
Quote:

On 2009-10-20 09:30, Pegasus wrote:

Also giving ICC and UGTO their GA ship or move the EAD and AD to GA rank as they match the firepower of the krill rather than the siphon at FA, which is no better than the Battle Dread of Combat dread at Admiral.

[ This Message was edited by: Pegasus on 2009-10-20 10:13 ]

Dont take away my EAD again please? I've already had to go from Admiral to Fleet Admiral once.. I dont want to pres ho my way up to GA to get it back again? Thanks.

GTN - Veneratio est Totus

Goto the website of Krim {C?}
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-21 13:58   
Quote:
Warrior/Fighter=UGTO
The core brawler. These types come up and will stand toe to toe with you, they hit hard, they stand up under brutal punishment and are talented at what they do. They are no sneaky, nor agile as there is little need when a blow or two will take out most enemies.

Theoretically without weakness. Well, dependancy on Supplies for fast regen. At the worst.

Quote:
Wizard/Archer=ICC
These are the range attackers with considerable punch and decent manuevering. While they can be considerable damage dealers, they aren't quite up to the task of going toe to toe with others. When they do, they must rely on thier arcane arts to protect themselves (shields) as thier armor is relatively weak.

'can be considerable damage dealers'. 'considerable punch'. 'decent manuevring'. IIRC, ICC are the best maneuvring fleet on paper... a bit hampered in that due to PFE engines. They do not have considerable punch unless you take the Missile Dreadnought into account. The other ships are varying shades of "below average" to "average" damage dealers. Well, there's the Assault Dreadnought, but that's hardly unique to ICC.

Quote:
Thief=K'Luth
These are the hit and run preditors. They excell at surprise attacks and covered retreat. They rarely can stand toe to toe with an opponent or if they do, they give up thier most valuable weapon, surprise. While direct attacks are weak, they excell when using thier agility to get at the weak spot on an opponent. Light armor and a delay in weaponry is the trade off for heavy damage and the ability to choose your battles, or make a stealthy retreat.

I dunno, I think their most valuable weapon is the Assault Disruptor. Direct attacks being weak is a bit of a misnomer, these guys hit you hard whether you expect the attack or not. No amount of expectation can dull the force of four Assault Disruptors and eight regular Disruptors.

As much as I enjoy such characterisations, I think you're not quite on-par with your write-ups for each of the three factions.

Hell Bender
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2009-10-21 14:38   
Quote:

On 2009-10-21 13:58, Bardiche wrote:
Quote:
Warrior/Fighter=UGTO
The core brawler. These types come up and will stand toe to toe with you, they hit hard, they stand up under brutal punishment and are talented at what they do. They are no sneaky, nor agile as there is little need when a blow or two will take out most enemies.

Theoretically without weakness. Well, dependancy on Supplies for fast regen. At the worst.

Quote:
Wizard/Archer=ICC
These are the range attackers with considerable punch and decent manuevering. While they can be considerable damage dealers, they aren't quite up to the task of going toe to toe with others. When they do, they must rely on thier arcane arts to protect themselves (shields) as thier armor is relatively weak.

'can be considerable damage dealers'. 'considerable punch'. 'decent manuevring'. IIRC, ICC are the best maneuvring fleet on paper... a bit hampered in that due to PFE engines. They do not have considerable punch unless you take the Missile Dreadnought into account. The other ships are varying shades of "below average" to "average" damage dealers. Well, there's the Assault Dreadnought, but that's hardly unique to ICC.

Quote:
Thief=K'Luth
These are the hit and run preditors. They excell at surprise attacks and covered retreat. They rarely can stand toe to toe with an opponent or if they do, they give up thier most valuable weapon, surprise. While direct attacks are weak, they excell when using thier agility to get at the weak spot on an opponent. Light armor and a delay in weaponry is the trade off for heavy damage and the ability to choose your battles, or make a stealthy retreat.

I dunno, I think their most valuable weapon is the Assault Disruptor. Direct attacks being weak is a bit of a misnomer, these guys hit you hard whether you expect the attack or not. No amount of expectation can dull the force of four Assault Disruptors and eight regular Disruptors.

As much as I enjoy such characterisations, I think you're not quite on-par with your write-ups for each of the three factions.

So you're saying they are closer to eachother than before? That was my point. That is how they were originally setup, and if you read all of the texts on how the game SHOULD be (IE history background ect ect) then they are entirely accurate.
The game has changed so much the factions are falling into line with the others. Now, I seriously, seriously doubt anyone will live to the day when we encounter other life in the universe and when we do, they better not have advantages on us or people will want them brought into line. Heaven forbid the tactics we have won't work because then, heaven forbid, we might, we JUST might have to learn how to deal with an unfirmiliar opponent.
Disruptors are awesome weapons, but I remember always wanting CL2000's on my Claw or Siphon because they were better up close and that is what the kluth do best. Now everyone says the disruptor is awesome (so, then I'll point again to the factions becoming more alike).
I might be slightly off on the characterization of each faction, but the core idea remains. We started off with a wide range of diversity in the factions, but everyone whines because they see the greener grass on the other side.

I started as ICC and still am highly compitant behind the wheel of most ICC ships. I moved to K'Luth because I liked the vulnerability and the strengths as it made the faction more interesting.

Now I hear how great this and that is, yet I remember the exact reverse of this same argument years ago.

Please remember General 'Stonewall' Jackson. His tactics are studied world wide for his genious. What made this special above others? He made due with what he had, he didn't whine, he didn't complain even though he almost always was at a 2 to 1 disadvantage and then would still be more successful than his peers. At one point he used just 2000 men to hold almost an entire army 'hostage' to his movements keeping them from being able to advance on Richmond. It's not about what the others have, it's always about what you do with what you DO have.

Real life and games seldom look similar if you don't wish them to, but in this case tactics and truths are golden.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Email Hell Bender
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-21 16:03   
The difference is that people in a war situation aren't comparable to gamers. A cute analogy, but no.

And no, the factions aren't becoming alike. Each has distinct playstyles, and each has different setups for their ships and different weaponry.

I was pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. UGTO is damage over time, K'Luth is damage in one burst, ICC is damage in due time.

Rae
Admiral
Raven Warriors

Posted: 2009-10-21 18:17   
Quote:

On 2009-10-21 16:03, Bardiche wrote:
UGTO is damage over time

ICC is damage in due time.

please clarify these statements further... due time for what?

Hell Bender
Grand Admiral
K'Luth Revolution

Posted: 2009-10-21 22:27   
Quote:

On 2009-10-21 16:03, Bardiche wrote:
The difference is that people in a war situation aren't comparable to gamers. A cute analogy, but no.

And no, the factions aren't becoming alike. Each has distinct playstyles, and each has different setups for their ships and different weaponry.

I was pointing out the flaws in your reasoning. UGTO is damage over time, K'Luth is damage in one burst, ICC is damage in due time.

Actually, they are training military personel on games, just an FYI, but I'm not going to argue with you on the nitty gritty of how there is in no way any corolation between war and a war game.

They are becoming alike, or more so than when I remember and the objective seems to be to do exactly that.
"Kluth should have A and B at the same level as X and Y" to which the reply more oft than not is the reason is for the power distribution in the current set-up. That answer not good enough, most still request the same thing, and even vets will stand behind the NEW thought. Then the complain is the weapons, this faction has this better than that, NOW the old bad weapon set is the new good weapon set and people continue to want the opposite of what they have.

My original objective was to support diversifying them MORE. I can change a paint scheme and a weapon load out and still have the same basic ship. (This is no diff from any other game I play(ed)), but when it comes down to the heart of things, each faction must retain it's distinct (dis)advantage in this fight and not give in to Grass is Greener advocates.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Email Hell Bender
Bardiche
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-22 06:05   
I see. I misunderstood you. Please accept my apologies for the gross misunderstanding. I support any man who calls for more diversity between the factions, so I'll support you.

Now, a woman, that's a wholly different story.

Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-10-22 06:24   
Quote:

On 2009-10-21 14:38, Hell Bender wrote:

Please remember General 'Stonewall' Jackson. His tactics are studied world wide for his genious. What made this special above others? He made due with what he had, he didn't whine, he didn't complain even though he almost always was at a 2 to 1 disadvantage and then would still be more successful than his peers. At one point he used just 2000 men to hold almost an entire army 'hostage' to his movements keeping them from being able to advance on Richmond. It's not about what the others have, it's always about what you do with what you DO have.

Real life and games seldom look similar if you don't wish them to, but in this case tactics and truths are golden.

I have to say, that Jackson's philosophies and tactics are some of the best in my arsenal. And he's right: do what you must with what you have. Adaptation is the biggest key to any tactical situation.
The best laid plans of mice and men do sometimes go awry.
So you adapt to the new situation, and ACT.
Man I could go off on a lecture right about now....

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Page created in 0.013910 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR