No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
04/27/24 Now

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Advanced Engine Tuner
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Advanced Engine Tuner
Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-21 11:42   
Though I could be mistaken, shouldn't the Advanced Engine Tuner (Increase Max Ship Speed by 6%) actually increase the max ship speed by 6%?

I have a bomber dread. 15gu/s max speed. I put one in, and its then 15.2gu/s.

15 * 0.06 = 0.9. Shouldnt the speed be 15.9? It seems to potentially be dividing by the amount of engines the ship has. 15 * 0.015 = .0225 (floored to .2)?

However, if thats the case then it should not say 6% increase, as thats inaccurate, as its more of a 1.316% gain in 'max ship speed'..
[ This Message was edited by: Lady Kesla on 2009-07-21 11:43 ]

Mr.Grim[Loyalist]
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-21 12:43   
i agree with what you say however i have no idea what any of that is

Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-21 13:05   
instead of

15gu * 0.06 = 0.9 added to max (true 6% bonus as the description reads)

Its

15gu * (0.06 / 4) = 0.225 (rounded down) added to max (which is only 1.3% bonus, not 6% like the description says).

4 being the number of engines the dread has.

[ This Message was edited by: Lady Kesla on 2009-07-21 13:15 ]

Mr.Grim[Loyalist]
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-21 13:09   
oh so in basic terms its not doing what its saposed to

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-21 13:09   
It's more then likely a bug then. Your math makes sense for what is happening.

Jim Starluck
Marshal
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-21 13:42   
There are two factors that influence the maximum speed of a ship.

One of these is the base speed for each type of ship. Scouts are the fastest, then Frigates, then Destroyers, etc. The other is the contribution of each of their engines. The base speed winds up being generally less than half of the total maximum.

Unfortunately, Speed-affecting enhancements only increase the BASE speed by X%. Thus the change in maximum speed is comparatively tiny. I asked Maverick about this once, and he said it was for balance purposes, as otherwise you could very easily get a ship moving way, way faster than it was intended.

Email Jim Starluck
Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-21 14:07   
Thank you for the reply. The Description is quite misleading then hehe.

Rather than % then (to give smaller ships too much of a boost), why not have a base value of 0.3-0.5gu (or whatever number) increase per enhancement equipped? at least then smaller ships wont use it and it could actually be useful to the bigger ships.

At least then the guess work is out. As things like that are a bit confusing and could frustrate players (especially as the information isn't available). Like, I know I was a bit frustrated when I found out that Weapon Multiplexers didn't effect Missiles.

I wouldn't have minded if there was a quick guide about enhancements available, so I wouldn't have eqiupped 4-5 multiplexers onto a missile dread before realizing that

Also, does that mean that ICC bomber dread cant reach 17gu even WITH 8 advanced tuners?
[ This Message was edited by: Lady Kesla on 2009-07-21 16:48 ]

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-21 22:08   
Quote:

On 2009-07-21 13:42, Jim Starluck wrote:
Snip....

Unfortunately, Speed-affecting enhancements only increase the BASE speed by X%. Thus the change in maximum speed is comparatively tiny. I asked Maverick about this once, and he said it was for balance purposes, as otherwise you could very easily get a ship moving way, way faster than it was intended.

Ummm, isn't this the point of an enhancement? I mean weapon modifiers make ships stronger then what they were originaly intended to be, same with shield/armor modifications...and come to think of it, same with everyother enhancement...

I would like to see a little more speed out of my dread, of course with all that wonderful power drain additive.

H&S

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-21 23:02   
I think the key words you're glossing over are way, way rather than faster. Yes, obviously Enhancements are meant to boost one particular stat on your ship.. but the reason they percentages are low is so it doesn't throw the balance completely off.

It might be possible to just double all the speed enhancements or something to compensate for the way the engine works.

Or we could get our "balanced" Enhancements in and address it that way.

Email Shigernafy
Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-22 00:38   
Well, I dont necessarily agree with a logical/actual 6% boost to max speed rather than base value modifier (as it may seem a little high), I do not believe that a 0.2 increase of max speed after equipping this to a dread is exactly balanced either.

I am fine with whatever now that I know, but I'd have really liked to increase my speed just a tad bit more than what it did . As even if it modifies the base, my dread cant get an extra 2gu/s with full elite engine enhancements equipped.

It seems a bit of a waste for bigger ships, and I dont see many smaller ships running around with full adv engine tuners.
[ This Message was edited by: Lady Kesla on 2009-07-22 00:51 ]

Sixkiller
Marshal
Courageous Elite Commandos

Posted: 2009-07-23 16:06   
exactly, balance fine, but right now engine tuners are just wasting your enhancement slots.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-07-23 17:26   
I have to agree with sixkiller on this. If you get an increase of 0.2 gu from 1 enchantments thats 1.6gu if you have 8 of them. Thats just useless, then id rather put on 50% bonus on my armor.

And this is realy what im sittin here laughin about, 1,6gu and you say its unballanced, and then you can put 50% more armor on a dread! COM ON!!!!

Enchantments are stupid, u dont even get a negative thing on it, use logic:
Example:

Ok i put 50% more armor on my ship, the ships get heavier.
So...shouldint the ship have lesser acceleration/speed?

The logical answear is: Yes

But then agian this is a space game wich there are no rules obviusly...

But you cant say that enchantments are ballanced

Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-23 17:59   
Technically it does add more mass to your ship, which reduces your acceleration and turning. But since armor is less than 20% of your mass, even adding 50% to it isn't going to slow you down much.

Email Shigernafy
Azreal
Chief Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-23 18:09   
Quote:

On 2009-07-23 17:26, Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ] wrote:

Enchantments are stupid, u dont even get a negative thing on it, use logic:
Example:

Ok i put 50% more armor on my ship, the ships get heavier.
So...shouldint the ship have lesser acceleration/speed?

The logical answear is: Yes

Its enhancements, not enchantments.
There used to be negatives, they were stupid so they were dropped.
And actually, it would only create a need for more THRUST to get the ship moving if it had more armor, MAYBE. It wouldn't effect overall speed at all. The no gravity thing makes weight a little irrelevant to space, but thrust to get moving to start with, maybe.
But then, nobody defined what that enhancement to armor is. It could be an energized armor, which would not create much weight. It could be a different armor alloy, which may actually lighten a ship. It isn't defined what the enhancement actually is, thus it isn't just "logical" to assume more armor = slower ship.

Email Azreal   Goto the website of Azreal
Kestalkayden
Marshal

Posted: 2009-07-23 21:26   
Well, sorry to create a bit of a deal out of it. The description was misleading. Even if I could outfit my bomber dread for ICC with all 8 engine enhancements (which, aside from the obvious is rather pointless as ICC shields, among other things lack at the moment), its a bit of a waste right now to not even be able to reach 17gu.

Does that mean that a station would only get 0.1gu added per tuner? I think that the engine tuner should be used by bigger ships but its the bigger ships that don't seem to benefit from this.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.019786 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR