No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +6.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

14th - wolf420

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » General Support » » Are you going to update the GFX engine?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
 Author Are you going to update the GFX engine?
tordin
Cadet

Posted: 2009-07-09 07:22   
Hello! i tested the DS game for a while and i loved the gameplay, what i did not love was the Graphics for it,
my big question is, are you going to update the Graphics engine? for example to dx10?

i realy dont know wich forum to post this in so i post it here! i hope no one gets mad!
cheers!

Don Nukey of ICC *CO*
Chief Marshal
Interstellar Cultural Confederation United

Posted: 2009-07-09 08:10   
lol its already a mircale we have this version after 4-5 years of waiting.
wonder what the the waiting time would be of a graphics update 10-15 years

tordin
Cadet

Posted: 2009-07-09 09:08   
to darn bad, i was hoping to be of some help to do the dx 10 conversion.
but what i saw of the game was that it was kind-a "laggy" and i ran it on a normal rig computer, so for that relay recommend to update the engine ! even if youŕ game runs good you should always have a engine capable of dealing with the triple pressure.

and besides, a sexy looking games always enchants the gaming experience!

so lets hops they see my topic and dose it!

Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-09 09:41   
All darkspace needs is some bloom and brown to be next gen.

tordin
Cadet

Posted: 2009-07-09 09:51   
dont forget more awesome pewpew effects!

some nice HLSL effects would just be awesome.
but the primary thing would be in my opinion to optimize the rendering. ea, frustum culling.

that would also make more room for highdef models! or normal maps, specular lighting.

Rhiawhyn Zerinth
Fleet Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-09 10:33   
Tordin, and where do you propose DS gets these high def models and textures? do you by any chance have them off hand?

DS if i remember correctly, is run by one coder, and the rest are non paied volentiers, meaning those high def models you want, will never happen. DS just does not have the resources, nor time, to work on things like that

they have all they can do with bug fixes and keepin the game running, then adding useless features which will alienate some of the players. as not everyone has a bleeding edge gaming rig, not to mention the factthat you have to consider that they dont even have artists or modelers that can DO high def things...

In short, would be nice, but cannot and will not happen

tordin
Cadet

Posted: 2009-07-09 10:58   
This i did not know, and i must say, i am impress on how much they done if they are only one coder! ( i am a coder my self ), and i also understand priorities and second targets, and yes i would also set a new graphics engine on the secondary target but a better performance in the primary!

any hows! it would be fun to see the team make a update to the engine, and i haven't found any help link so i don't know where i can tell them that i are willing to contribute!

Midnight *FA*
Fleet Admiral
Terra Squadron

From: ICS. Idot (ICC Station) somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Posted: 2009-07-09 11:29   
The engine is open source, download it and make it work with what you want to do. After that its up to you, just remember Palestar still owns it's rights. So if you can manage a DX 10 (heck 9 would even work (some peeps still dont ahve a DX10 capable graphics card) update then feel free. GL with the modeling.

$yTHe {C?}
Grand Admiral
Sundered Weimeriners

Posted: 2009-07-09 12:26   
There was a graphics upgrade made by someone (Gid? Chromix? Draf?). You could talk with them for more information on doing this. It would be very cool to have some DX10 supported features, I agree, but outside of player development I just don't see that happening.

-Shadowalker-™
Admiral
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-07-09 12:42   
I thought DS was running on DX9 already. Wow. Yea would be sweet if DS could update its graphics engine although Faustus just dosent have the time or the reasources altough i know he would love another experianced coder at his side.

Email -Shadowalker-™
Drafell
Grand Admiral
Mythica

Posted: 2009-07-09 12:53   
We are always working on making things prettier, as we know it is quite important to some people.
The model issue is more a matter of waiting for Faustus to fix the importer. Tael already has a few new models waiting to go, and I am not particularly bad in that aspect myself. We would love to update or replace a number of the existing models.

Goto the website of Drafell
tordin
Cadet

Posted: 2009-07-10 04:25   
well then, i can give it a try and will. but i sure need to talk to the leader of the medusa engine since dx10 dont have that much of support to indy developers ( it was released so AAA companys could have a game in dx10 only ), that means they removed the mesh loading and much more. My own "engine" have thees things but i dont think he will be to happy if i combine 2 engines.

so my last question is, dose any one know where i can talk to him? or whom he is?

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-07-10 05:00   
Faustus... You can find his contact information on this site or talk to him here.

Email Tael
Valerius{DK}
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-10 05:32   
ask pretty much anyone and they will say big F aka Faustus aka Richard is the main man.

He reads these forums from time to time so he will most likely already have read this

Email Valerius{DK}
BackSlash
Marshal
Galactic Navy

Posted: 2009-07-10 07:06   
The Medusa engine code in its entirety is on the PaleStar website (bottom right hand corner, under "Network").

You can download it there and make any changes you like, and submit it to us for review if you like. Make sure to read the license text file though .

For more information, like Tael said, contact Faustus (rlyle@palestar.com)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Page created in 0.022658 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR