No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Windows UAC
 Author Windows UAC
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-01 18:10   
Ok been testing windows 7 a bit and i have to say looks better than Vista.
In my eyes at least.

But one thing that is bothering me is the new UAC..
Some might say DISABLE THAT CRAP, but hey it will become a new and permanent feature of windows, not just for 7 but in later versions as well.
Heck why not, and if you know #Nix you would say "about time MS, but yer still behind us".

UAC in vista was easy to disable
But it was just as easy to circumvent by either not installing it in /Program Files/ or running as administrator.
currently i have tried both of those circumvent options and both still give me one annoying pop-up.

No matter what you do other than completely disabling UAC
Quote:
Change,
To.
Followed by..

I don't know how un-polular UAC will become once windows 7 hits the PC assemble shelves.
But i think DS should consider looking at UAC and including the options/tools And allow itself to run without extra annoyance to the users everytime they start DarkSpace.
Quote:

p.s, P.s, P.S!
GCQL crashed/froze a couple times in windows 7 before i got it working, and i currently got these settings, that make it NOT crash..
Shortcut properties.
Compatibility.
and YES.
This won't make the UAC nag i'm talking about above, go away either.

Comment, complain, bombard.
E.

[edit]Preview button. plz?
[ This Message was edited by: Eledore ICC Massis [R33] on 2009-07-01 18:12 ]

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-07-13 19:46   
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756990.aspx

Sadly Darkspace runs in mixed mode. To get it to run without setting off the UAC would require us to buy a certificate and license from Microsoft after allowing them full access to our code. The cost of the license and certificate alone is cost prohibitive for us.

Email Tael
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-07-16 15:11   
I like how microsoft has the gal to say 'Refactor your UI so it works with windows vista". No wonder why vista is such fail.

Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-16 18:14   
I think yer missing a step Tael.
just look at Step 3 of that MSDN chapter you gave me. link.

The problem isn't about a ms license, its about resource access.
DarkSpace wants to access files directly from the executable, instead of asking if the current user already has permission to access the files first and than access them.

DarkSpace wasn't made to take in to account multiple users or read permissions.
It always had to be installed and run at least a administrator or a Power User account. in XP.

DarkSpace itself would not require change but the start of GameCQ would have to.
This might require some re-coding and time consuming, might be something to look at as a side project, but the main concern should be.

What and how do we tell our users about DS and W7?
Some minimal requirement testing and than including the needed results in the manual & FAQ. And when windows 7 hits the shelves, have a Information News post on site..
That is the least we currently can do.

3 euro cents.

Tael
2nd Rear Admiral
Palestar

Posted: 2009-07-17 01:22   
GCQL gets flagged by UAC because it runs a test of the .dll's and exe's at start to see if the GCQL client requires an upgrade. As these are registered in the "Registry", calls to check the hooks to those points and then running files is what causes UAC to go "Hold up, you wanna do what? Let me ask mom and pop..."

Darkspace isn't the only self updating program out there that UAC screams at... To get around that nag screen when you are required to run mixed mode requires a signed license certificate from Microsoft...

Email Tael
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-18 09:24   
Darn.
Indeed, forgot about the registered .dll's
ya yer right.

Leonide
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-18 20:55   
UAC is horrible. if i ever use vista, i will just turn it off, as i have done beforehand.

captain of the ICC Assault Cruiser C.S.S. Sledgehammer

Email Leonide
Supertrooper
Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-07-21 14:22   
Quote:

On 2009-07-18 20:55, Leonide wrote:
UAC is horrible. if i ever use vista, i will just turn it off, as i have done beforehand.

Hur-dur, you're retarded. We're talking about Windows 7 here, where you can turn UAC off.

Well, you actually can. Theres already a program out there to tweak windows 7, which I have used, to where you can disable certain things you don't like and improve other things you do. No more UAC for me to worry about.

Email Supertrooper
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-07-24 08:57   
Quote:
On 2009-07-21 14:22, Crim {Pants?} wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-18 20:55, Leonide wrote:
UAC is horrible. if i ever use vista, i will just turn it off, as i have done beforehand

Hur-dur, you're retarded. We're talking about Windows 7 here, where you can turn UAC off.

Well, you actually can. Theres already a program out there to tweak windows 7, which I have used, to where you can disable certain things you don't like and improve other things you do. No more UAC for me to worry about.

I agree with Crim, yer a retard if you think disabling a security system is good.
Vista was just bad as a whole. UAC has changed a bit since vista in W7 and i hope for the good.
Personaly i consider Vista the re-incarnation of ME. They had to try something, and why not make it really bad, so they can get more user specific input (complaints) than make a decent one and still don't know what they can improve.

If any of you ever had to setup a linux box for more than one person you might have noticed once you have set it up, you no longer need root access........
So why should windows require almost for most basic functions Administrator access?
For once they done things a bit right in Windows 7.
Not everything needs Administrator access, heck i installed GCQL in W7 as just a regular USER! (Ok had to set HDDrive write permissions and flagged one option on the user account) and it worked.. outside the little YES you gota click, check my opening post for that.
But this means when you got a properly set up w7, normal users can finally do something!

Vista UAC might be a pain in the ****, but i truly am looking forward to what kind of UAC improvements Windows 8 will have.

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore ICC Massis [R33] on 2009-07-24 08:58 ]

Page created in 0.012760 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR