No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.1 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Fort (Fortress) Shield?
 Author Fort (Fortress) Shield?
Nexus01
Cadet

Posted: 2009-06-17 20:14   
I was thinking: Since the ICC have already made shields big enough to cover an entire planet's surface, why not a similar technology for fleets?

I guess my idea goes like this:
A ship-mounted shield generator that produces a shield large enough to cover the length of two dreadnoughts. This shield would have an incredibly high power drain, of course, and would be a all arcs on one shield. It wouldn't be a traditional ICC shield, however. I guess it could be made into a special device slot that activates and deactivates with a hotkey, like ECM, ECCM, Scanners, Cloak, etc do.

A new ship, maybe cruiser, could use this 'shield'. That way it could be guaranteed that the shield would have just enough energy drain when not moving to slowly discharge your ship's energy reserves.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-17 22:22   
would be unrealistic for a ship much less a station to support such a shield; balance issues aside

Email Sens [R33]
Fattierob
Vice Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-19 12:12   
I think you underestimate just how big a hex tile on a planet is.

And I think you are underestimating just how much "1 power" is on a planet

Ham&Swiss
Grand Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-21 13:52   
Heh, the only way i see this happening, is if this ship, likely cruiser, was to have all but the basic PD stripped, minimal armor, meaning like 2 plates covering half each, with standard 4 shield gens, 4-6 aux gens, 1 "Fortress Shield Generator", and some engines. you would have to strip everything away...kinda like with the guppy, losing all but basic weapons, to make room for the 4 fighter bays.

I kinda like this idea, possibly the only two ships with this ability would be both a special cruiser, and the Command Station.

H&S

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-21 14:38   
Quote:

On 2009-06-19 12:12, Dr. Fattierob, M.D. PhD wrote:
I think you underestimate just how big a hex tile on a planet is.

And I think you are underestimating just how much "1 power" is on a planet

1 power is enough to sustain the needs of 10 thousand~ people.. or was it million?

Email Sens [R33]
Shigernafy
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-23 23:13   
That's just from a realism perspective.

The other problem is that shields (and armor, for that matter) extend to a certain point based on the size of a model. They aren't set based on some variable that we change based on the ship we're putting it on. Thus, we can't create a shield that is 3x the size of the ship that its mounted on.

The only way it could be done is through visual trickery: having the model look like its a cruiser (or whatever) but actually be the size of a dread or station, with the shield size to match. The problem with this, of course, is that the hitbox will be the size of what it really is, not what it looks like it is -- so it'll take hull damage a lot sooner than you'd think, weapons might aim oddly at it, it might take out weapons fired at other things unexpectedly, and you might smack into planets much sooner than you'd expect (and likely more frequently).

All in all, I don't think that's a "solution" we want to aim for.

Email Shigernafy
Nexus01
Cadet

Posted: 2009-06-25 20:18   
Yes, I recall noting that not only does weapons fire "hit" when it strikes the visual armor/shield rings, but planet collision is determined by the rings as well - the actual ship model is only for visual and has no bearing on any type of collision detection that I have seen.

In short:
Shield/armor rings are essentially the hitbox, and so a shield "outside" the ship's hitbox is impossible with current code.

Was just throwing the idea out there.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-26 09:40   
could create a secondary object that follows the first; but thats just silly

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-06-26 12:46   
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 09:40, Sensitivity wrote:

What do you think interdictor fields are for the Interdictor?

But yes, nice idea. However not really something for darkspace, given that only one faction uses shields.

What i would rather see, is work on the Fighter control code and having working Interceptors fighters.
Fighter interceptors providing Anti-Missile defense and Anti-fighter actions
around a selected ship, station or group. That might be just as useful as as Fortress Shield.

Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral
United Nations Space Command

Posted: 2009-06-27 23:24   
Quote:

On 2009-06-26 12:46, Eledore ICC Massis [R33] wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-26 09:40, Sensitivity wrote:

What do you think interdictor fields are for the Interdictor?

But yes, nice idea. However not really something for darkspace, given that only one faction uses shields.

What i would rather see, is work on the Fighter control code and having working Interceptors fighters.
Fighter interceptors providing Anti-Missile defense and Anti-fighter actions
around a selected ship, station or group. That might be just as useful as as Fortress Shield.

Exactly what I would like to see, It makes me sad that fighters don't have this yet

Nexus01
Cadet

Posted: 2009-06-30 15:42   
Indeed. Interceptors are practically useless without some sort of "order" system.

MaGoo
Fleet Admiral
*Renegade Space Marines*

Posted: 2009-08-12 02:11   
Yes, a hotkey or devise button that sends out all interceptor fighters too fly around its mother (or targeted friendly) ship. When a missle/enemy fighter comes within range (whatever range the developers want) then the interceptors will engage. After theire target is destroyed they will continue normal patrolling.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-08-14 11:56   
It would be rather simple to plot out random patrols around a ship, dynamically altering the patrol paths to be in the best position to intercept missiles however, is another story. As interceptors are slower than missiles, they have to intersect rather than pursue. Furthermore, the missiles change their course to keep with their target forcing the interceptors in turn to compensate. Now to add to that; when missiles are coming from multiple ships at different vectors, targeting AI has to be implemented to decide which route would be the most effective missile to run, factoring in missile speed, type, distance, and level. Keep in mind that this also constantly changes with more volleys being fired every 10~ seconds, changing vectors. Another minor, but still interesting issue is formation; do you expect the fighters to patrol individually or in flights of two or three?Lastly there is interceptor vs interceptor combat. Should the feature be implemented, many players will start complaining there isn't a way to destroy the interceptors without going in close, now remember you asked for patrols around your ship, not another ship or a pair of coordinates. But thats for another time.

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-09-14 04:02   
Quote:

On 2009-08-14 11:56, Sensitivity wrote:

That all comes back to Faction specifics.
what weapon do the fighters have, This includes not only to canon or CL type.
But! dammage, range, recharge, energy requirements.
currently we got a one shot one kill standard for fighters. but this can be changed.
E.g.

Fast firing Short rang that does medium dammage to..
normal firing long range light dammage..
Long recharge medium range heavy dammage..
and that is even ignoring energy.

The possibilities are there, but first we need the option to be able to work with it, and than we can figure out the specifics.

Page created in 0.022368 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR