No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +22.6 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Chaft Pods
 Author Chaft Pods
Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral
United Nations Space Command

Posted: 2009-05-30 20:39   
I really don't know if this has been suggested yet, but I think it would be something very interesting to see in game. Like in the Header of the thread, I think 'chaff pods' would be a really cool thing to see in-game.

But when i thought about it, all those flame crazed players will just call out PD(point defense) and turn this thread into a ramble fest. So this is where my idea differs from the traditional idea of 'chaff pods' in a few ways, first: It would be deployed by a ship to confuse missiles & maybe targeting systems, but here is where it is different, instead of all those little flairs falling off your hull like a regular 'chaff pod' would act, the player would have it like a mine, and can deploy it in the wake of coming missiles & or enemy fire. It would confuse the tracking systems of the missile and would re-target the pod itself and destroy it. and it may cause the attacking player to break his lock with the player that has deployed the 'chaff pods' and target the pods themselves.

I know it sounds like a short time solution, but say if a player deployed a large number of them into an area before the fighting started, it would prove a great defensive asset. and throw any attacking force into disarray, and give the defenders a great edge.

But this could work both ways, if a bomber crew had a ship that could deploy them, it would confuse the planet and or defenders of the planet and really turn the tables of an assault to the attackers favor.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-31 09:46   
also known as flares, decoys, ect. however, we already have these; its called ECM. Missiles self destruct when a target is no longer in range (i.e. jumps away, or is ECM'd below 0 sig)

Email Sens [R33]
Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-31 16:15   
Not in the same sense though, When you activate it will only hide at most a destroyer, And it effects both sides, thus giving no benifit to ether the attacking or defending side. With these they can be used to give the using side an over all advantage.

JBud
Marshal

Posted: 2009-05-31 21:00   
I like it, flares to confuse the missles, the only problem is it would take quite a bit of scripting to add this.

Email JBud   Goto the website of JBud
Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-31 21:51   
Yea, i know, its just a suggestion. Right now before we could even dream of seeing it in DS we need the dev team to plug back in the beta server so we can continue testing it. But ya, after they fix that, it would be cool to see something like that ingame.

[EDIT]
Well, it looks like they did fix beta, now all we can do is see if they have the time to see it implemented in game ^.^
[ This Message was edited by: All Under Heaven on 2009-06-03 07:29 ]

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-07 15:51   
would just need a redirect function, which in itself is fairly simple; making sure it doesn't switch targets infinitely is another problem... also easy though. Eitherway, it would take up a considerable amount of CPU for both the flare and the redirecting of the missles resulting in: you guessed it, lag. If it is missiles, ECM can just be pinged; seeing as by the time you are close enough to hide your opponent with ECM, they are already too close to fire missiles anyways.

Email Sens [R33]
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-06-26 12:34   
Would mean re thinking the entire usage of missiles.

This however Could be made to work..

... where is my, o there it is..

Quote:
Eledore, Missile Suggestion Doc-3:

!
Regular IT and AR (document writen with Human tech in mind) missiles will become independent of the ship operator and will seek a target on there own based on there position and current flight path.

IT Missile:

1: Missile is launched.
2: Missile will record a number of closest targets with there range.
3: Missile will be in non targeted flight for a preset time.
4: Misile will look at record and will select target it has gained the most range on if all ranges have gained it will choose the closest target. Record Range.
5: when target is hit, missile will detonate.
6: Interceptor flight.
7: Flight evaluation. If target is lost or a preset parameters are trigerd logic will goto #2

Examples;
{
1- Launch IT
2- Ranges to targets #1 480gu / #2 760Gu / #3 1065 Gu
3- Flight for 1 second.
4- Calculations: #1 510gu= +30Gu / #2 720Gu= -40gu #3 1040gu= -25. #2 has most increase, Target #2 has been chosen.
5- When target or something is hit, missile will detonate.
6- Flight to target
- Target hit, Detonation.
}

{
1- Launch IT
2- Ranges to target #1 860gu / #2 1045Gu / #3 1375Gu / #4 1780Gu
3- Flight for 1 second.
4- Calculations: #1 855gu= -5gu / #2 700Gu= -10gu / #3 1370gu= -5Gu / #4 3185Gu= +1405gu > Parameters under 1800Gu #4 is removed, Target #2 is chosen.
6- Flight To target
7- Target Lost (ECM or Jumped out of sensor range.)
2- Ranges To target #1 340gu / #3 760gu / #5 620gu
3- Flight for 1 second.
4- Calculations: #1 315Gu= -25gu / #3 745Gu= -15gu / #5 625Gu= +5Gu. Target #1 is chosen.
6- Flight To target
- Missile Destroyed.
}

+ Self targeting.
+ Limits airtime by picking highest hit ratio target, based on own vector.
+ Can correct own flight path.
+ Selects New Target if target lost
+ Selects New Target when target is outside parameters.
- Can't order missile to aim at prefixed target.
- Unknown if missile can be forced to re-target.
- Unknown if you can Manual detonate.
- will increase resources on missile calculation.

If this could be introduced......(As a side note; not even considering possibility if even possible)
Having Chaf be a valid Target and produce a verry short burst of ECM to disrupt the Target lock. Chaf could become the new target of the missile.
To even ballance it, make it so that the Missile can't Hit and detonate on the Chaf (ya i know but listen).

When the chaf is launched it will be launched almost like a Beacon, slow moving away from the vessel.
You can go straight or make a turn, dependong in your and the chaft vector the missile will pick a new target.
When the Missile passes the target, it will turn to the chaf again creating still a oppertunuty to hit Something even you..
When Chaf has reached its end life, Missile will retarget and hope for a hit.
Missile can run out of fuel before reaching your ship because it had to turn away to try to hit the chaf...

Sounds simple.
problem is getting it in game and well...
Like everything i write, its possible just takes so mutch time..
[edit] .. something was wrong in the examples, fixed.
[ This Message was edited by: Eledore ICC Massis [R33] on 2009-06-29 19:23 ]

Winters Rapture
Fleet Admiral

Posted: 2009-06-27 23:23   
Hmm very interesting Eledore, I like this idea a lot. Really, a lot of thinking went into this. But like in the end of your post, The issue with this idea is the amount of work that would be needed to get it intergrated into the game.

Page created in 0.014250 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR