No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +1.2 Days

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » Suggestions to make ds live again
 Author Suggestions to make ds live again
Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2009-05-14 15:51   
The reason why darkspace is dying

i have done a round tru several games. in the last weeks including eve to discover what made them populair and why.

the answer was very simple. it is most clear in eve the game wich proves my point best. eve is a rubish game lots of lag anoying controlls. but it is not boring with everything you do you get the feeling you are doing something worth your while. if your mining it is boring but you know your doing it for a reason. you got mission and other stuff. the game is rubish but because there is a great amount of things you can do it is intresting again. so i have a few idea's some more complicated than others to make the game feel like your doing something jusefull.

the further you go in this post the more dificult the things will be to implement. but i do suggest that admins read it all. because it is what makes other games more succesfull then darkspace

first step put asteriod fields back into the game for mining and cred back into the game becauase where human we like to have money ^_^ and it gives the game a edge

second stap nerv planet mining bases. and up the stats on the extractors. because compared to the mines on the planet an extractor is huge bulky and should be able to mine faster instead of slower then a planet. you also might consider making a few more kinds of extractors. bigger ones for higher ranked players but also one that might have a small amount of armor and point def so it is cappable to mine hostile planets (would make a great ICC ship)

third step reintroduce AI tranny's carrying goods. instead of auto trading. and split the goods up again. making it that players need to get tranny's again. i also suggest that for this reason you up the variatie on tranny's making ones with more cargo hull. like a cruiser tranny or you might even get a dread tranny cappeble of transfering massive amounts of recources in a small amount of time. (i also suggest to up the recource cap in one cargo hold to 5000) also read the fith step wich is related to this.

fourth step split recource up from one standardized type to the bulk load we jused to have so that you can't spawn any ship you want at any given time. and put credits back into the game and make it so that ships also cost cred. and when you die your ship dies with you. but to the subject of cred i will comment later on. also mak it that the rarest recources are found in deep space far away from any planets gaurded by 2 dozen gaifen. making it a team opperation to mine them and get them to safety. also make sure that not the small ships but the big ships need these recources to be created.

fith step implent a trading system for players. for example when they open a starport you get (for example to the left) a small screen where you c the prices of stuff you can buy and the prices of stuff you want to sell as i recall there already was a good system for that in the old version (when i needed cred i did trade runs got me a lot of cred and it didn't get boring.) wich only needs a litle screen wich shows your free cap for stuff the prices a buy and a sell button.

sixed step make a enhancment factory make this a rare building wich can only exict on a planet if that planet has a starport a sy and a lot of tech. players can pay cred and recources they have in there cargo hold to let that factory make a enhancment for you. because you need to have the stuff for in your cargo hold. also make the things you can make rank bound. so a cadet can't make better than 1 minor or something. a chief marshal can make rares.

seventh step your ships die with you. because they die with you keeping a full garage is more dificult that combined with the fact that you need specifick recourses and a lot of cred to get ships. this would also make ships like dreads and stations a lot more rare. making it that fleets get more diverce since not everyone can aford a dread and loosing one would mean a lot of trouble for the owner. and give them stuff to do when the war is not raging.

eight step. simple implent missions we like to think we mean something and we make a difference so we like missions. make it hurt when we fail them like let us lose press and cred and reward us when we do em correctly because that is what we like.

the post became a bit longer than planned but i hope you folks get some good idea's from it. because this is what makes darkspace not work. we just got to litle to do in our time outside of batle.
[ This Message was edited by: Timbo400 on 2009-05-15 03:33 ]
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Tommas [ USF HunnyBunny ]
Chief Marshal
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-05-14 17:04   
You are spot on when you say that this game dont have any goals! I my self fail to see any goals nor challange. It all leads to easy solution atm that u can get evrything u want very fast and very simple.

But i do think ure missing one important thing. And thats fleets. I think that fleets should have an fleet account, that holds creds, enchantments and so on. So as u say with trading etc, and also politics with naps, alliances and so on. That way you can make missions about taking certan planets from the enemy(fleet)

And also one other suggestion that been up for a long time ago, but i still havent seen any plans nor heard about it for about a year or so.

The idea was that when a fleet owned a planet, the fleet "bank account" would be filled up by creds from the plantet(s) the fleet owns. Not a steep curve ofc but the more planets a fleet holds the more income. And with that system a fleet could easier get new ships, enchantments and other new stuff that migth come. Ofc this means that u have to buy ships in order to use them, and if u lose that ship it will be lost forever and after. It could even add it up to depots that you have to pay to use em etc.

Credits as u say are an important way of life, u can never go without it and you could make the game alot more intresting.

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-14 18:33   
How about badges for making enhancements? Don't want a preestablished hierarchy with enhancements now do we? Missions are a work in progress.

Email Sens [R33]
Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2009-05-15 03:34   
badges and fleets are just a minor problem. they can be dealt with later one. people will whine a lot less when you give them a goal again than when you give them a new shiney object or give them the ability to make a shared bank acount.
The more you see, the more you read, the more you hear, the more you know that you know nothing. And that the truth is nothing more then a personal judgment on the world around us by the people around us.

Ulven Skyblade
Marshal
Non Omnis Moriar

Posted: 2009-05-18 06:58   
plz poeple some more reply's i am curieus about what you think about what i wrote.

cctv dude99
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-18 11:47   
I played eve. They updated it the day after I started. They got rid of classic graphics and my computer can't handle the premium. Whoever made that decision is an idiot in my opinion(before ppl start, I know they lowered the minimum graphics for premium, but my computer just can't take it) but thats off topic. when i was mining on i felt like i was doing something. missions are an excellent idea and would improve the game. i have a good idea myself aswell. on ALL the space games i play except this one, you get to customize your ship, but it would need a credits system probably. e.g.
You pick a hull. Lets say a scout (there would be more than one scout for each faction with different amounts of laser etc. mounts and armour slots (possibly shield slots), but lets not get too complicated).
It has a certain amount of laser mounts, cannon mounts and missile mounts. You can buy the lasers etc. using credits, then fit them on the ship, however only certain lasers etc. would be mountable on the ship type (in this case, a scout). These lasers etc. would be built on a planet by factories (factories would be able to build standard equipment, available to everyone, then you would be able to build faction equipment, available to your faction), where players could bring resources and order equipment to be built for that player then it would be moved to that players storage, or you could choose to build it for another player and it would be moved to their storage.
Then it has a standard amount of armour, but you can add a certain amount of layers of armour, which are built in the factory then moved to storage.
Possibly shields. Depends on whether only ICC get shields or not.
Then you would have a special item slot, to put a cloak (again, it depends on whether only K'luth get cloak), Pulse shield (depends on whether only ICC get it) or finally the Flux Wave (depends on whether only UGTO get it).
Finally, you would have a few enhancement slots.
And thats my Ship Customizing idea, your designs would be personal and only available to you, but you could send them to others if you wanted to, however they would not be able to send your designs, only you can send you designs to others.

Currently, we get to partially change our ships, but I feel its not really unique when I change something and I think thats whats missing, being unique in your ship. On the other games I play, when I design a ship and fight in it, I know that the chances are its layout and weapons are unique.

I will subscribe in Two Weeks™...

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-18 17:34   
The issue is balance, which is incredibly hard to maintain with highly modifiable ships.

Email Sens [R33]
Page created in 0.021339 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR