No kills today... yet.

Upcoming Events

- Weekly DarkSpace
05/04/24 +20.4 Hours

Search

Anniversaries

No anniversaries today.

Social Media

Why not join us on Discord for a chat, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more information and fan updates?

Network

DarkSpace
DarkSpace - Beta
Palestar

[FAQ
Forum Index » » Developer Feedback » » What I would like to see in Darkspace
 Author What I would like to see in Darkspace
katrinaleona
Cadet

Posted: 2009-05-12 10:15   
Before I go into what I would like to see let me tel you what I have seen. I started gaming in EGA Battletech. On Genie online paying 3 dollars an hour... I would rack up 50 hours a week. It was a faction based game like Darkspace in almost every way but had a few things that Darkspace has not implemented... if they wanted to. I will list them below.

1... Faction based system with dedicated command structures. The players ordered the whole military force with a rank system much like you have. The higher ranks were by appointment only as the war required commanders who were dedicated and competent. Right now we have a faction system but everyone can rise to the highest faction without worry... and so battles are not fleets but Dreads and above. Eve online does this.... Fleets are made up of Captains and Commodores... not 2nd Admirals and above. Imagine a full military structureed society in game... which has its history in your write up and the future in the players hands.

2. Economy... right now you have the word economy but it means nothing. You have no trade or crafting system. Enhancements are fine but there is so much mroe you can do with it. A living breathing economy and the added Trade ships and even Trade factions would bring another group genre to your game. This means more people, more money and added gameplay for content. For existing players it means more Faction members that would have a need for protection by combat ships. A purpose which adds to the endgame in the form of missions.

Right now when you get a ship destroyed it doesn't do anything to your system... you just respawn and fix it... in EGA Battletech you had to spend hard earned resources, money and parts which could be rare depending on the ship to fix them... true military logistics and if it was a personal mech a project you took on. The military gave you a paycheck out of your resources but if you bought a mech you either went mercenary or were very good at what you did. Expense versus risk.

3. Planetary creation abilities... as our rank rises the planets should open up ships we can build to enhance the protective fleet for the planet, system and spacelanes. Some of your servers have nothing that spawn even if you control the whole server. What I would like to see is the ability to create ships by the shipyards so when you capture a planet you have to hold it to create your AI military presence. Now planets change hands like there is no tomorrow and no one cares... a real military would care as they're support relies on it. Also mining is thoroughly useless as it is with the exception of making in space supply and logistics firebases. For the planets they are nothing really... if the militaries actually relied on the resource counts and needed massive resources to build ships for AI or even for player repair and new ship construction all of a sudden you have more purpose. Purpose equals playability and longevity for a game.

I would like to know that as a 2nd rear Admiral that a planetary defense was assigned to me and my Unit/Guild and that the creation of defenseive/offensive structures and ships was my responsiility. I like that part of your game but without the ability to create NPC fleets then the planet will change hands easilly. We took a planet with 3 ships. Had there been a fleet and defensive structures there that would have been a chore... but as it was it was quite easy. I did not earn it. I like earning it. I;m not saying raise the difficulty level as its fine, you may want to tweak the AI to not run into planets unless jumping though. What i want is a reason to be defending that planet whether empyrical expansion or simple duty. No I don't want points... you got plenty of those, and no I don't want the ability to build enhancements that should come from the private/trade sector through purchasing. I want purpose.

4. A rarity system. A space station is an incredible undertaking but right now we have hundreds of them, and the same with Dreadnoughts. These shoudl be leading fleets... not being made up by them. I don't mind building them if the resources are gathered and the parts etc... down the line but it sshould be an incredible undertaking. Not a click and spawn once you get the ability to use it. If you have 3 factions they should have the before mentioned dedicated rank structure with the appointed ranks having assigned ships. These are your Marshals and Fleet Admirals... the rest of the players form up around them. 1 Dread 20 capitol ships, 30 or so frigates and corvettes... thats a fleet. What we have now is 6-7 Dreads and a whole bunch of support ships... the longtime players who have earned their time, and rightly so, have the big shiips and the rest of us go pop.

Why not have your players assigned positions in fleets, as it would be in reality. Why not have your guilds/clan who join a fleet become a part of that Factions military instead of a group of people who occasionally play that color. They create a comission and serve. You give them a reason to.

5. The ability to expand you system. I don't mean the system of planets though that could be added on easilly by the way you are doing it, I mean the socio-politicol system. Allow players to go Rebel, Pirate, Mercenary if they want to. Allow them to create their own factions if they can. The players then begin to create the history for your game and it is a living breathing entity. Faction based PVP is good for only so long... inevitably it burns out and there is nothing left to do, but add more facets and you get a longer lifespan. Burnout for some will happen but while they are playing word of mouth spread and more people begin playing. Inevitably you have birth/death rate for players which reaches homeostasis. I already discussed adding Trade/Merchants in and they fit in this category as well. Thats 4 more factions, each probably with dozens of subfactions creating trade, interaction and warfare. All the things we RTS/FPS/Fantasy players want.

6. This is wishlist. Being an RTS fan I would like to ask for planetary battlemats so we can control the troops. Nothing fancy and no need for major graphics... just a simple planet control with the ability to move troops and order them into a combat ready unit. Now is ok but its to rudimentary and allows the tranny rush. If you had to players in the Groundforce Command chairs ordering it... it would be a whole new game aspect.

Of course to do this you would have to add Naval troops, Armor, artillery and aerospace to the planet which would be easilly done by simply modifying the barracks to create specific troop types. Which, trust me, your players would do in heart beat. Then you create a chinese checker map for each planet, in EGA Battletech they had like ten battlemats and it was random which you fought on per planetary type, then you order your troops and fight it out. Taking into account planetary bombardment of course. Right now the Infantry look up and do the dieing turkey in the rain bit... survivability moves should be programmed in. infantry and armor do not like being shelled

Allow me to match wits and fire agaisnt my opponent... something few games allow.

Thank you for your time.

Goto the website of katrinaleona
Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-12 16:53   
thats a pretty tall order there... find us a couple dozen quality volunteer devs and it may be a possibility...

good input though

Email Sens [R33]
Shath
Admiral
Pitch Black

Posted: 2009-05-14 02:57   
MAKE ALL THAT STUFF HAPPEN!!!! RAWR!!! ITS AWSOME I WANA SEE STUFF LIK THAT TOO

RTSES ARE KEWL AND ALTHO FUNNY ITS DUM WEN AIS BLOW THEM SELVES UP AGINST A PLANET FOR NO REASON AND I WANA MAKE BIG FLEETS WIT A BUNCHA AIS AND SMALLERSHIPS AND WE NEED GROUND COMBAT AND STUFF AND MORE FACTIONS!!!!

cctv dude99
2nd Rear Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-18 09:59   
nice ideas, i like them. only one problem: it would take ages. 'Nuff said

I will subscribe in Two Weeks™...

Sens [R33]
Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-18 17:34   
Quote:

On 2009-05-18 09:59, cctv dude99 wrote:
nice ideas, i like them. only one problem: it would take Two Weeks™. 'Nuff said

[ This Message was edited by: Sensitivity on 2009-05-18 17:35 ]

Email Sens [R33]
Little Pet Slinki
Admiral

Posted: 2009-05-19 08:27   
Should I read and comment? The poster seems to be banned.

Goto the website of Little Pet Slinki
Eledore Massis [R33]
Grand Admiral
Templar Knights

Posted: 2009-05-20 12:39   
Quote:
On 2009-05-19 08:27, Little Pet Slinki, The Inane wrote:
Should I read and comment? The poster seems to be banned.

Ya don't have to read it, i just glanced it and i noticed what ever he is suggesting will take more time away from ship to ship combat.

Where a WAR GAME, not a micromanage galactic empire builder.
If yer realy interested in that kind of stuff go here..

Fight, Bomb, Build, Repair, Capture, Jump & Build world wonders.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that is all we need, nothing more.

[ This Message was edited by: Eledore ICC Massis [R33] on 2009-05-20 12:40 ]

Page created in 0.020136 seconds.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 Palestar Inc. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of use - DarkSpace is a Registered Trademark of PALESTAR